Sherwood Pines and NCB area Sun 12th Sep'21 (spaces left)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meet by the cafe veranda, right, overlooking the big field at 10:30 ready to ride.
Pines post code is NG21 9JL. That will get you to the entrance, then follow the road to the carpark. Your reg no is scanned, pay at the booths just before you leave, barriers scan your reg to let you out. £8 for all day parking.
There is a bike workshop, a bike shop, bike wash, cafe, toilets and plenty of car park space.​

@myapes and I have been hard at work developing and discovering new trails so you don't have to! :cool:

If you can do the red trail at Pines and find it straightforward then what we have will give you a challenge. All are welcome, but please be sensible about your abilities; if you find some parts of the red trail a bit tricky, then this Rideout is not for you. :unsure:

After discussion with the head ranger, he has shown us an area of the forest outside Sherwood Pines (on National Coal Board land) that he hopes one day to make an emtb trail. It is steeper and rougher than anything on the red trail. It is ungroomed and has brambles all over the place. This is so new that we haven't had the time (nor the inclination to be honest) to cut anything back other than fallen trees that were blocking the way. We also have not had the time to find any ways around any of the tricky bits, so if you don't like the look of them, then you will have to get off and push!

Once we'd plumbed the emtb area, we had to find a new way back into Pines. We got lost so you don't have to, but now we know the way. Just trust and follow. And have fun!

After that we will be off to the far end of the desert to the winding DH section, but again there by a different route avoiding all that deep sand. Then returning to the Pines area by yet another new route for some more riding.

@myapes and I, have shown bits of what we have planned to @j_s and @DaveDog. They both loved it and agreed that it is a stiffer test than the Pines red trail.

A concern is that we may lose some of you due to a failure to follow a simple rule "Look out for the guy behind". There are many sharp turns into bracken and the trails are hidden, there are multiple cross roads and the trails are not worn in yet, so the one you want could be any of them. Make sure the rider behind makes the turn.
Despite that simple rule, on previous rides we have lost members of the group and not found them again for a good 20-25 mins. (The record is losing half the group within five minutes of me explaining the rule).

Please trust me on this; if you get lost on the new areas, there is a good chance that you will have to find your own way back. Those who are not lost will have to decide how long to spend looking for you. So be nice to everyone you meet! :)

Expect 20 miles, lots of climbing. If you bring bare legs, expect to collect some scars. If it is warm and humid on the day, you may wish that you had used some insect repellent.
Helmet compulsory, specs advisable.

PS: We will not be doing Ashley's drop where @Ashley M tore his hamstring at both ends on the last Rideout. But only because we won't be passing it at the top.

Last edited:

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
Ive just been given a 2 week doctors note so hopefully I should be recovered by then.

18203A2B-835B-4F90-8F2D-2C9E2FC4A362.jpeg

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Should be good to go. Might pop to the emtb section on my gravel bike this weekend. If I can do it on that no one has any excuses on the day ?

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Probably a bit too advanced for me, im pretty much used to the Red section but still bottle out on the two drops near the skull & cross bones sign. Never tried the down hill section either.
Hope to meet you guys at some stage, learn some skills.

DaveDog

Apr 16, 2021
Derbyshire
Count me in :)
Having been shown and ridden some of the route yesterday I can concur with Steve that it may not be suitable unless you're confident and competent on all of the red trail and the downhills.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I need to check my availability to be certain but if the weather isn't horrendous i should be able to make this. Been practicing some steep stuff lately so as long as there are no big jumps should be good.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I need to check my availability to be certain but if the weather isn't horrendous i should be able to make this. Been practicing some steep stuff lately so as long as there are no big jumps should be good.
All jumping is optional, there are no obstacles where jumping is necessary. Lots of steep stuff though, tricky stuff too.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@steve_sordy Hi what’s the rider limit and are we talking more black routes cheers
That is a good question! @myapes and I spent some time discussing this. No limit at the moment, but on the planned route I'd start to get nervous at about 12. Much above that and I'd rather have two dates.

Sections of the planned trail are complex and unmarked. In the emtb area particularly, there has been so little bike traffic that you can't even guess which way the rider in front of you went. (When the wetter weather arrives, that dilemma will soon stop). A big turnout could be problematic because I have learned that the bigger the number, the harder it is to keep everyone together. The train spreads out automatically, when you have a slower rider in the middle, a gap can open up and suddenly the guy in front of the rear group has no idea where those in front have gone. Meanwhile everyone behind him has faithfully followed; and now half the group are lost! Or the guy at the back has a mechanical or an unplanned dismount. The group rides on and by the time he gets sorted the rest of us are long gone. So I will annoy you all by stopping frequently for headcounts. One of you lot will be designated for that duty, maybe two of you on a big group. Not me, I'm too busy keeping track of where we are, where we are going next, how people are feeling, and the time.

To get the right image in your mind think about herding cats. It seems to me that mountain bikers are free spirits, don't like to be told what to do, like lots of room between riders etc. But we are sensible and intelligent people (mostly). So when I ask nicely if you will look after the guy behind to make sure he has seen them make the turn that the guy in front just did, why don't you 'effin' well just do it! (not aimed at you specifically @Ripping g )

Stopping to search for a rider gone missing, who may be unconscious, is no fun for anyone. It just consumes our riding time and causes stress to all.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question about black routes. I am not a good judge of blackness. Sections are certainly a lot harder and more technical than the red at Pines, Cannock or Dalby, some bits are easier. But I know that for many that doesn't say much at all. Maybe @myapes and @DaveDog could comment.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Well there’s possibly 5 of us that would like to make it we always look after the 1 behind and make sure every 1 is following we’re all abilities from red route riders to double black routes so if it’s ok will have a ride ??

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
No "have to" doubles or large drops to worry about but you can't sleep walk it either. Much more fun than the Pines red route.

DaveDog

Apr 16, 2021
Derbyshire
Steve took me around some of the route on Friday and even though I wasn't fully fit there was nothing overly difficult, but it is imperative to keep concentration.

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
I not be coming, I’ve just had a back X-ray and been told I’ve crushed a vertebrae. Currently waiting in a&e to see a doctor to see what’s the plan to get me better. I’m absolutely gutted.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I not be coming, I’ve just had a back X-ray and been told I’ve crushed a vertebrae. Currently waiting in a&e to see a doctor to see what’s the plan to get me better. I’m absolutely gutted.
OUCH! Whatever you do, make sure that it gets properly treated asap. That may sound like a statement of the bleeding obvious, but I had a displaced vertebrae back in 1996. It was undiagnosed and treated with rest and painkillers (morphine for example, yikes!). That was the worst thing that could have happened for me. My displacement was finally corrected 18 months later when the company physio saw me walking "a bit oddly". I was 100% better within 24 hours, but it left a permanent weakness that has plagued me ever since.

When you get sorted and feeling good, take up Pilates. Yes, it has a girly image and doesn't make you sweat, but it rescued me from early onset old age. Ohhhhh yes it did!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles