Shenzhen Zhaosheng Carbon CEF50 lightweight using Bafang M820 motor (Specifications Thread)

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
do you know an supplier who can sale M820 spare parts ?
I asked Jean to include both speed sensor kits with my frame and she contacted Bafang directly to order centerlock one, so my first go to person would be her. I've seen also a lot of accessories for m820 on aliexpress - like wiring harness extensions, gears, bearings, torque sensor etc.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I asked Jean to include both speed sensor kits with my frame and she contacted Bafang directly to order centerlock one, so my first go to person would be her. I've seen also a lot of accessories for m820 on aliexpress - like wiring harness extensions, gears, bearings, torque sensor etc.
ok. i have requested to linda for spare needed to store, but no proposal (alike crankarms, skid plate, etc..) :cry:

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
Dropper insert depth on M-size frame is 224mm according to the drawing I got from Jean.

View attachment 130424

Did you ask her directly about the max insert length? or is this just your conclusion from the drawing?
My wife's CEF50 frame size S has insert length of 234mm. It can insert all the way down to the charge port screw.

I suspect the measurement you see in the drawing is a glued piece of carbon inner sleeve?

I think it's best to ask them directly. don't assume.

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Did you ask her directly about the max insert length? or is this just your conclusion from the drawing?
My wife's CEF50 frame size S has insert length of 234mm. It can insert all the way down to the charge port screw.

I suspect the measurement you see in the drawing is a glued piece of carbon inner sleeve?

I think it's best to ask them directly. don't assume.
I asked her directly, she replied with the technical drawing showing 224mm, I asked again if 224mm is the max insert depth, she confirmed. At this point I had no reason to ask her to double check that.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It would be best to have general discussions in the main thread and leave this thread for easy access to specification details. Cheers

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It is not straight forward. Are you using 29" wheels. 27.5" wheels. A mullet. Coil? To have a list it would have to contain all the caveats and exceptions from what Zhaosheng recommends. What conditions they work or don't.

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
It is not straight forward. Are you using 29" wheels. 27.5" wheels. A mullet. Coil? To have a list it would have to contain all the caveats and exceptions from what Zhaosheng recommends. What conditions they work or don't.
Im saying just for officially approved shock size (210x50) from Zhaosheng. Rear wheel size shouldnt matter because 27.5 only gives you more clearance with 50mm stroke. Coil vs large air can etc would just need to confirm clearance throughout the 50mm stroke. That shouldnt deviate from frame to frame for clearance.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
With the stock original frames a coil shock would not fit. The newest frame can support a coil. So it is even more complex.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I can see difference of opinion on stroke length, but there shouldnt be any opinions on whether it fits from diameter or reservoir length standpoint.
Coil will don't fit on mine (XL, received in october), coil will be in contact with frame and prevent to insert upper axis. Mine DTswiss R535 one fit very very close (less than 0.1mm), between frame (link articulation) and shok body at full extend. I don't think any restriction regarding reservoir, lot of space in front of the shok

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
I also faced this problem. I found an inexpensive Cane Creek DB coil 190x50. After measuring and enlarging the legs at the bottom by 20mm. The shock absorber must be installed on CEF50 V1.0

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-29 at 10.48.12.jpeg

tepe

Nov 22, 2023
PL
Can somebody confirm Rear Thru axle parameters for UDH frame version? Without UDH hanger is: 12 x 1.5 x 179

Ktronik

Jan 15, 2024
Australia
@mike_kelly thx so much for making this THREAD! Its great your getting all the info in one spot, I actually work in the electronics industry and run a electronics company, my guys can hack and make pretty much anything, so keen to dive into this info! MY check list is MULLET enduro, can the motor be tuneed at all??? so far relible (M820)???

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I think the Bafang M820 sop far has been reliable. Nobody on the forum has had any problem at all that I remember.
Remember that most of the electronics side is just plug and play. It is more the mechanical side that might take some finesse. The motor can be tuned but... There are two applications. One the Bafang dealers tool and software. The tools is readily available but the key to use the software is not. There are work around scripts and some sellers will give out a key and others will not. That tool the Beest tool can adjust about everything in the motor.
There is a bluetooth app called GO+, and the regualr GO will not do anything, but you have to have a display with bluetooh 5.1 which in the case of the 245 is version3. But that app will only let you modify a few things and upgrading firmware is not one of them.
It is a good company and I really enjoyed the project. So good luck.

Ktronik

Jan 15, 2024
Australia
I think the Bafang M820 sop far has been reliable. Nobody on the forum has had any problem at all that I remember.
Remember that most of the electronics side is just plug and play. It is more the mechanical side that might take some finesse. The motor can be tuned but... There are two applications. One the Bafang dealers tool and software. The tools is readily available but the key to use the software is not. There are work around scripts and some sellers will give out a key and others will not. That tool the Beest tool can adjust about everything in the motor.
There is a bluetooth app called GO+, and the regualr GO will not do anything, but you have to have a display with bluetooh 5.1 which in the case of the 245 is version3. But that app will only let you modify a few things and upgrading firmware is not one of them.
It is a good company and I really enjoyed the project. So good luck.
Thx again for the reply, its seem perfect for me a EX-bike mechainc of 35 years, some one that loves to pedal and someone that loved electroinics.

When in mullet config, does it ride well, like LEVOs and big brands or does it have a miss-matched feel, as GEO is a little off???

are there 48v and 720whr batterys kits AVAB??

where do we get the carbon battery case and cranks??

M820 or EP801?? whats your take?? I can pedal well....

BTW I have hacked shimano Di2, making my own shifters and battery or direct connect modules, (bike battery) making it pretty cheap as really you only need R-der and some bits and bobs, should any of this info be usefull hit me up ;)

thx so much for all this info!!

K

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I don't ride mullet and I am not an enduro raider so I am not a good resource to report. Put that question in the conversation main thread and you will get an answer.
SZZS is selling 48v systems not but I am not sure what battery is being supplied. The carbon battery shells and crank arms are from SZZS but I don't think the carbon arms are ready for prime time yet.
I have ridden both the M820 and the EP8R and the Bafang is a hair more noisy. For the DIYer I think the Bafang is a better choice because they are more responsive in buying parts. The Ep8 CEF52 is not available yet because SZZS has not gotten a line on a good supplier for the motors.
Thanks for the info offer we are always interested in new aspects centered around the CEF50. Good group of people in the main thread.

Last edited:

Ktronik

Jan 15, 2024
Australia
I don't ride mullet and I am not an enduro raider so I am not a good resource to report. Put that question in the conversation main thread and you will get an answer.
SZZS is selling 48v systems not but I am not sure what battery is being supplied. The carbon battery shells and crank arms are from SZZS but I don't think the carbon arms are ready for prime time yet.
I have ridden both the M820 and the EP8R and the Bafang is a hair more noisy. For the DIYer I think the Bafang is a better choice because they are more responsive in buying parts. The Ep8 CEF52 is not available yet because SZZS has not gotten a line on a good supplier for the motors.
Thanks for the info offer we are always interested in new aspects centered around the CEF50. Good group of people in the main thread.
Great info!! thx again, I am pretty keen to give this a go.!

OK shimano Di2 is a great option, its very easy to make a system out of a DI2 rear DER and a external battery mount bought secondhand, by adding 8v to this module the DI2 system is happy, we can rob the can bus 'switch module' out of any Di2 lever MTB or ROAD, and hook up any switch, so to change gears...

you could use these switch units for a ultra slim system, using sram or di2,

shifter video

I made a USB rechargeable DI2 battery for my bike, but it would be easy for us to make a little module for others, so we can directly power Di2 gears from the onboard bike battery.

I know sram do this, to replace there battery, but there extra module is costly, where as Di2 can be cheap as its been around so long...

anyone wanting more info on hacking Di2, hit me up...

Ktronik

Jan 15, 2024
Australia
DO I need a different shock linkage for MULLET setup???

Anyone know the head-angle in MULLET MODE???

Last edited:

atkk

Feb 18, 2024
Sacramento, CA
@voigtkampff "Dropper insert depth on M-size frame is 224mm according to the drawing I got from Jean."
View attachment 130426

View attachment 130427

Specifications
Alibaba

Rear Shock hardware 8x22.2mm
on the frame I just received, the width of the frame where the shock hardware goes measures to 22mm, the 22.2mm hardware I bought doesn't fit

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
on the frame I just received, the width of the frame where the shock hardware goes measures to 22mm, the 22.2mm hardware I bought doesn't fit
You can sand off the paint to get a better fit as some have already done. Will save you $30-40 to replace with 22.2 mm. Also, the SZZS engineer recommended this for better fitment due to paint layer thickness.

atkk

Feb 18, 2024
Sacramento, CA
You can sand off the paint to get a better fit as some have already done. Will save you $30-40 to replace with 22.2 mm. Also, the SZZS engineer recommended this for better fitment due to paint layer thickness.
the paint has already been removed from the surfaces... I'd rather not sand the carbon down but I guess I could.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles