Shenzhen Zhaosheng Carbon CEF50 lightweight using Bafang M820 motor (Specifications Thread)

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
sub-threads
Main conversation -

External Batteries Range extenders -

Integrated Cable System Headsets -

Gallery of builds

DIY external range extender

CEF50-frame.png

@voigtkampff "Dropper insert depth on M-size frame is 224mm according to the drawing I got from Jean."
DropperLength_size_M.jpg

CEF50.png

Specifications
Alibaba

Rear Shock hardware 8x22.2mm
Rear Thru axle is 12 x 1.5 x 179
Batteries available
BT FT100.B360 36v 360wg
BT FT014 43v 410WH
Custom ZS BT720 36v 720WH
Chart is website wrong, the headset is a ZS56/28.6 ICR upper and ZS66/40 lower. Suitable for a 1 1/8"-1.5" tapered steerer.
The Bafang M820 motor uses standard ISIS cranks like the Bosch G4 and ones made by Miranda, FSA and Hope.
New version of the rear triangle will soon (2024) be available to support a coil shock and UDH dropout.

There are two versions of the Bafang M820, 36v and 43v and now 48v. You must choose which and get a battery to match the voltage.

Contact Lindalv <[email protected]>
Cost $770+shipping frame with Bafang M820 motor kit $1770+shipping

CEF50-kit.png

CEF50-motor.png

CEF50Colors.png

1.jpg

thruaxle.png

Discussion thread:

Jersey available made by EKOIES Store on Aliexpress.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101495544?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.3128115bZkE3CF

message her for the CEF50 Jersey. Long, short, winter summer weight. Asian sizing, so a US XL is a Asian 3XL. etc
About $20 shipped.

CEF50_Jersey3.png

Nukeproof.png

Nukeproof headset for CEF50 with good waterseal.

New internal cable routing headset by SZZS
-876903218-670000460.png

Display used is canbus. Tested by forum users:
1. DP E180/181
181.png

2. DP C244/245.can, only the version 3.0 appears to work with GO+ app.
245.png
CEF50 BIKE .jpg

Last edited:

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
View attachment 106527 Specifications
Alibaba
View attachment 106526
Contact Linda
Cost $770+shipping frame with Bafang M820 motor kit $1770+shipping

View attachment 106528 View attachment 106529
View attachment 106531
View attachment 106532
View attachment 106533
Discussion thread:
What beautiful photos. Do you know how the wires and cables come out of the frame and go into the rear triangle? You have such photos?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What beautiful photos. Do you know how the wires and cables come out of the frame and go into the rear triangle? You have such photos?
It looks there are only brake line ports...I believe the set up is for wireless shifting only. I'm using my wireless SRAM AXS GX drivetrain.🤙

The tell was they have a wireless setup in their complete build pics and no chain stay ports for the shifter cable.😞

But you may want to confirm with Linda that there aren't two frame versions: wireless drivetrain v. traditional wired?'🍻

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just FYI on another IRC headset option. Here's a more traditional Ritchey that's likely better than stock:
Screenshot_20230213-131158.png

Edited: 12/09/23
Looks like this one can't be used...its IS (integrated bearing system into the frame, no cup with a raised lip) not ZS (with cup) so the top cap probably wouldn't seal over the ZS bearing to be water tight.

If someone is able to somehow adapt it to the newer/smaller 52 mm top bearing CEF50 cup, it would interesting to see how well it works. But even if it did you'd have ream a bigger hole out for the chunkier cable plug.

The upgraded SZZS has got a nice custom display cable port on the top cap already, so would be lots of work on the Ritchey cap to make it functional.

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
It looks there are only brake line ports...I believe the set up is for wireless shifting only. I'm using my wireless SRAM AXS GX drivetrain.🤙

The tell was they have a wireless setup in their complete build pics and no chain stay ports for the shifter cable.😞

But you may want to confirm with Linda that there aren't two frame versions: wireless drivetrain v. traditional wired?'🍻
Top picture looks like it has a chainstay port.
??

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
IN the top picture you can see it on the outside of the driveside chainstay. I don't think wired is dead quite yet.
But it does look stout so cross your fingers.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
IN the top picture you can see it on the outside of the driveside chainstay. I don't think wired is dead quite yet.
But it does look stout so cross your fingers.
I saw it. But it's not. All 5 of my carbon frames have driveside ports dorsal not lateral. It lines up derailleur on top of chainstay with a friction-free path. Plus, the Orbea Wild has no cable ports either...anywhere.😲 Update: the Wild carbon does a derailleur side cable port...but dorsally.

Here's my Enduro analogue I'm currently repairing in the stand.

PXL_20230218_051816006.jpg

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
If there are open paths to use inside and their is no deadends.
The frame motor mount will have a slot for both the brake hose and speed sensor to feed shifter cable through. Both sides of chain stays should be hollow. Then just drill entry and exist port accordingly.

It should be easy for them to do it...just tell them you want it done prior to their custom painting. They should just make two versions of the chainstay, or at least offer as customized feature.

Logic, that many potential customers will probably want the same traditional cable derailleur setup. Also, now that Shimano has wired electronic shifting powered from the motor only, there would be a new demand.

BTW SRAM has a new motor powered wired version too on some higher-end builds in order to reduce the bulkier battery mounted system....never run out of juice, but I guess no off-powered pedaling either if battery is out as well. (411: just happened to me last week mid-ride in easy gear😜). Was my fault, they need only monthly charging.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
there certainly seems to be a driveside hole on the stay for derailleur cable in the very first picture of this thread. You can also see it very clearly on this picture they sent me of my paint mockup
View attachment 107015
To be fair...this is the clearest and best angle pic presented that can be magnified on my cell...sorry no gotcha moment here, if that was also part of your point🍻
Either way good find.👍
Screenshot_20230218-113047.png

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Linda sent this image to show a bike with mechanical shifting and cables run just fine.
wired bike.jpeg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
One is made by Zhaosheng Carbon Tech and the other made by Lightcarbon :)

There are obvious aesthetic differences. I have made spec pages for both so you can compare.
This one is shipping when the Lightcarbon is not, as far as I know at this time.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
One is made by Zhaosheng Carbon Tech and the other made by Lightcarbon :)

There are obvious aesthetic differences. I have made spec pages for both so you can compare.
This one is shipping when the Lightcarbon is not, as far as I know at this time.
Possible to identify where are the differences, including the frame dimensions and specs

El Topo

Jul 23, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Thanks for this great summary, @mike_kelly ! Such stuff should be pinned.

If you still update the first post, maybe mention the new carbon battery (10s3p or 13s2p) and their new carbon cranks in 150, 150, 160, 165 and 170mm.

I think I saw a few posts about a custom battery from @LAnton , maybe also link to those?

Maybe I missed it, but do you mention the rear shock options? Official and what is possible with overstroking and offset bushings.

Also, the new revision will be (is already?) coil compatible, while the first one isn't right? Are there other changes as well? Didn't they also change to UDH?

There are two versions of the Bafang M820, 36v and 43v. You must choose which and get a battery to match the voltage.
Isn't that outdated, and they now also sell an official 48V motor?

Maybe also mention the tools needed to build such a bike for beginners, as well as example part lists?

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
This is just supposed to be a specification thread. So I only want really available things here, not hearsay. I will add the new stuff once it is confirmed to be shipping and someone gets the items in their hands. The optional shock configurations are not supported by the factory. Both Zhaosheng and Lightcarbon do not think they are long term durable. The new revision is reported to support coil shocks and UDH but they is not here yet.
You know building a bike especially an ebike from scratch is not easy. I am not sure it is a service to encourage rank beginners to take such a task on especially because of price. If someone has already built up a few bikes or has a friend to help they probably already know what they need in the way of tools.

Last edited:

DirtyCurty

Oct 13, 2023
Tumbler Ridge
Thanks for this great summary, @mike_kelly ! Such stuff should be pinned.

If you still update the first post, maybe mention the new carbon battery (10s3p or 13s2p) and their new carbon cranks in 150, 150, 160, 165 and 170mm.

I think I saw a few posts about a custom battery from @LAnton , maybe also link to those?

Maybe I missed it, but do you mention the rear shock options? Official and what is possible with overstroking and offset bushings.

Also, the new revision will be (is already?) coil compatible, while the first one isn't right? Are there other changes as well? Didn't they also change to UDH?

Isn't that outdated, and they now also sell an official 48V motor?

Maybe also mention the tools needed to build such a bike for beginners, as well as example part lists?
I have 2 frames with 48v coming.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
One remark about the lack of link between each rear arms wire. This point bothered me before purchase, i was wooried that that bearings fails quickely under the constraits. But after dismantle, i constat that each articulations have 2 bearings side to side, visibly to stiffen and manage the constraits. Not tryed at the moment, I can"t speak about reliability and effiency. But i can say that this choice of conception are surely well thought out if they prefer to instal 2 bearings by axis (more heavy, more complicate to build).

I appreciate less the UDH assembly. It's just machining to adapt the hanger on their previous molding
DSCF1993.JPG

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
For those who don't want wiring through pivot. We are lucky that SZZS accept to personalize and perform holes on frame to pass the cables (i recommand), but the frame is delivered with original pivot assembly. To have clean finish i have found this ACROS set to replace upper ZS56, but it have an specific bearing assembly and you needs to replace the insert. If soùebody find other solution who allow to use original insert and bearing (only the cover and centering washer), share it.

DSCF1998.JPG

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
For those who don't want wiring through pivot. We are lucky that SZZS accept to personalize and perform holes on frame to pass the cables (i recommand), but the frame is delivered with original pivot assembly. To have clean finish i have found this ACROS set to replace upper ZS56, but it have an specific bearing assembly and you needs to replace the insert. If soùebody find other solution who allow to use original insert and bearing (only the cover and centering washer), share it.

Cane Creek makes a ZS56 28.6 top assembly but it is unlikely that they use the exact same bearing seat as the SZZS unit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles