Roof Racks - INNO Tyre Hold 2

Carrot

Aug 4, 2021
Manchester
Afternoon all,

I know there's plenty of threads about this already and reading all those I've been trying to decide on what kit to buy to get my bike (2018 Kenevo) round the local trails with roof mounting being the only reasonable option.

Decided on an INNO Tyre Hold 2 roof rack. Fitted this morning and 10 test miles complete (up to around 60mph) and it feels nice solid and secure. Added the small ratchet strap as some extra security but I'm not hugely convinced it's doing much, I'll keep using it for the extra 2 minutes it takes to put on.

Bike is a tight fit between the two wheel clamps with the front wheel needing to be lifted quite high to get in, I expect this will get easier with practice.

All in all, quite happy, I'll add some more feedback once I've got a few more miles on it.

Couple of pictures, excuse the filthy car.

rr2.jpg

rr1.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
@Carrot Looking online at the rack, although there is a cable lock option for the bike, it doesn't look like the bike rack itself is lockable to the cross bars - is that correct?

I was looking to an alternative for the Thule 598's we use as my bike's wheelbase is slightly too long for it to fit nicely with the angle of the downtube clamp.

Carrot

Aug 4, 2021
Manchester
I've got a small step, like the one below, doesn't add a massive amount of height but it's enough to take some of the strain out.

ae235.jpg

To lift it into the rack I gripped the fork and seat stay quite low down to be able to get the height, lifted and aimed to get the back wheel into the arm as soon as possible, pushing it as far back as it would go. Once the back wheel is in it's quite stable, I could then release my left hand to grip the front wheel and push it high enough to slot into the front arm.

rr3.jpg

A little tricky and quite heavy but always felt controlled. Hopefully should get even easier with practice.

Definitely not ideal and if you can get a towbar mount or manage to squeeze it into the car then thats the way to go, for now I'll just stick with this upper body workout.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
A video of you getting it up there safely would be informative.

Do you use a step?
I'm just bloody impressed with anyone who manages to get an ebike on the roof of their car without trashing their car, bike or body.

Just needs a clean lift - though we can remove the batteries from our bikes that drops their weight to just below 20kg - the Thules' limit and I'm 6'1.

PXL_20210822_190741661.jpg

Carrot

Aug 4, 2021
Manchester
@Carrot Looking online at the rack, although there is a cable lock option for the bike, it doesn't look like the bike rack itself is lockable to the cross bars - is that correct?

The locking mechanism does prevent the wheel arms from being opened, which in turn prevents the clamps to the roof bars from being released. I'll explain with pictures below.

The rear arm is connected to a lever that slides the length of the rack, this is the part that can be locked. When locked the rear arm can't be raised.
l1.PNG

The clamp that hold the rack to the roof bars has a small tab which protrudes and slides under a curved section on the rear arm. When closed this tab is trapped and the clamp cannot be lifted to release the rack from the roof bars.

l2.PNG

l3.PNG

l4.PNG

Quite a low level of security but possible enough to deter chancers. If someone wants it off though, it's gone. I won't be leaving mine attached for extended periods. 5-10 minutes to fit/remove.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The locking mechanism does prevent the wheel arms from being opened, which in turn prevents the clamps to the roof bars from being released. I'll explain with pictures below.

The rear arm is connected to a lever that slides the length of the rack, this is the part that can be locked. When locked the rear arm can't be raised.
View attachment 69729

The clamp that hold the rack to the roof bars has a small tab which protrudes and slides under a curved section on the rear arm. When closed this tab is trapped and the clamp cannot be lifted to release the rack from the roof bars.

View attachment 69731
View attachment 69732
View attachment 69733

Quite a low level of security but possible enough to deter chancers. If someone wants it off though, it's gone. I won't be leaving mine attached for extended periods. 5-10 minutes to fit/remove.
Thanks for the photos and explanation ? (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Good choice, the roof racks that hold the wheels are infinitely better IMO, I have had a Yakima High Road for over a year now and it’s rock solid - I also have a Thule Pro Ride 598 fitted and it feels so flimsy in comparison - I use it for my kids bike as the Yakima won’t work on less than a 26 inch wheel, but I wouldn’t trust my ebike on it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles