Reign E+ 2022

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Well 😂 then I think was the right expression 😂 on my forbidden dreadnought the x2 does not compress like that.

That's what happens when you do a forecast of reality based on a small sample. Now you have no other choice than to change your world view 180° after seeing just one more evidence. Science at it's finest :cool:.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I am perfectly fine with learning new stuff and reflecting my fails 😊 but as I said. I am not sure if this is maybe because of the possibility to change travel within the shock. I only know this can be done with trunnion mounted shocks. Not sure about regular mounting.
I can see with the dps shock that the shaft is almost 10mm longer than the 62.5mm that is written in the stats sheet.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Same here on the fox dps shock. I just set the sag and read your comment. The total shaft length ist about 71mm. I think the fox shocks are not supposed to compress all the way.
Not sure though if this has to do with the shock itself. Because the x2 shock is only available in one size for 205mm length. The travel can be lengthened and shortened internally from I think 57.5mm up to 65mm with a spacer in 2.5mm increments.
I would just calculate for 62.5mm and measure from there
Yeah thank you, that’s what I have done now.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Reign E+ Motor Power.
I may have found why in some cases the the new PWX-3 motor doesn’t feel as powerful as the old PWX-2… Factory settings (pictures) are lower for the first 4 levels of power on the new motor 😳 Screenshots taken yesterday Trance 2020 (PW-X2) vs Reign 2022 (PW-X3).
Love the new bike! 👍

IMG_4249.PNG

IMG_4253.PNG

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
I was going to put a coil from my other bike on up my reign. After speaking to the shock supplier they suggested a heavier spring for my ohlins. Did you need your do this with your fox?
Have actually moved to cane creek progressive spring rates 430 to 480 and for my 82kg it's much better and still supple at the top. Happy now 😉😜👍

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Also just FYI. I fucked my back wheel shorting a jump.
Knew these would not last however totally my fault.
Building some fr560 with hope pro 4 until my hunt ebike wheels arrive

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Rode my new reign +2 today 1st time in anger really different ride to my previous bike and will take some time to setup and get used to the potential is there suspension is so good and plush couple of my thoughts on the new pwx3 motor jeez does the limiter make it feel like it hits the wall u get up to 15mph so quick then wallop it stops also tried the auto mode for the 1st time from low down the power felt dead until you really push down on the pedals and then it pulls right through unlike a bosch bike ive ridden that is there from almost standstill.maybe its just changing the way i ride to get the most from the motor.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I think you act to hastily. Wait those 48 hours. I bricked my bike this way 3 times. No permanent damage was done. You need to update the firmware multiple times after that with your phone. Don't change any settings through the app. Make sure that firmware has the newest possible version. At that point everything should work. Brightness change too.

So I got the spare control go unit in the mail today. It did not fix the issue. Same behaviour of cycling through all white leds, then right white and left one blue spot. I'll let the bike try to heal itself over the next days. If that does not help, back to the dealer I guess.

The issue seems not be related to the top tube element but rather to some eprom or whatever the chip is called in the motor unit most likely.

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
So I got the spare control go unit in the mail today. It did not fix the issue. Same behaviour of cycling through all white leds, then right white and left one blue spot. I'll let the bike try to heal itself over the next days. If that does not help, back to the dealer I guess.

The issue seems not be related to the top tube element but rather to some eprom or whatever the chip is called in the motor unit most likely.
Sorry to hear that. What a freekin nightmare. I hope you have a non ebike to rinse away the frustration.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
So I have an issue 🙁 bikes switches on and motor works, but I cannot change modes with the buttons on the bars or by pressing the power button. Can't even switch it off, just have to leave it till it auto switched off. Any ideas?

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Replaced the DPX2 with a Super Deluxe Ultimate on my E+2.

The DPX2 was fine and the small bump compliance was super soft, but I had to pump it up @ max 350psi all the time and wasn't able to achieve 30% sag. I hated to pump that thing so much & the sag was a bit too much. Super Deluxe requires 70-80 less psi to achieve 30%sag.

Large negative chambers on Fox rear shocks are killing it for me as I'm an heavy guy...it's even worse with the X2 as it's 300psi max.

Super Deluxe is smooth, but the shock is definetely not as soft up top as the DPX2.

SD3.jpg
SD4.jpg

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
So I waited 48 hours with no battery in the frame. Still the same issue. Friend of mine has a Giant as well as I have found out that uses a Giant RideControl Ergo SG unit. I guess I ll try to hook that up to the main cable and see if that works as someone in the thread has used it for a while. Maybe that gets rid of the issues and I can go back to the normal remote/ridecontrol. Last think I ll try tomorrow or wednesday.

Would really love to understand the source of the issue, but cannot find any manuals, technical information to the pw-x3 motor. No explosion views, no internal stats.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
It is not as easy as that. Well basically it is, sure. The bike is leased by my work, but I "bought" it from a shop , that is quite a bit away. They have some strange rules with bike leasing and where you bring the bike to. I can of course bring it to the dealer I bought it from, which is a 5 hour ride back and forth or shipping on my costs both ways. Or bring it to a local shop that can do the warranty claim, but that charges 60€ by default since it is not the original dealer :D Either way you are right of course.
Still, if it happens more than once and it is as easy as just swapping a different controller over for a second I'd rather do that then bring the bike to the local dealer over and over again.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Myself and three other pals all have new Reigns. Two of them are having problems with random shut downs and non responsive controls. Not a very encouraging percentage. Fingers crossed Giant get on top of whatever these quality control problems are quickly.

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
What size mounting hardware do I need
for the rear shock?
None, the bottom eyelet has no DU bushing and the axle serves as the pivot. The top trunnion fixing bolts and spacers are those supplied with the bike. 11nm torque.
When changing, or servicing the shock do not pull the bottom pivot bolt all the way out. Pull it through enough to release the shock, about 66%, this means the rear triangle stays in place and easy to put back together.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Always wait a year when new versions come out and let the first guys lose their shirts as the beta testers.
Meanwhile buy the previous version cheap on run out.
This is a rule in all situations in life.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
This is what I am writing about...it was advertised with the PW-X 2 and it looks it's no different with the PW-X 3...

Four sensors inside the motor housing, coupled with finely tuned algorithms for the drive control, result in higher sensibility to the rider’s input. The Quad Sensor System uses an angle sensor to detect the bike’s angle of climb or descent, as well as ride speed, crank rotation and pedalling torque sensors.

So I am left wondering if Giant just forgot to incorporate this in their firmware, because I have mode 4 (High) support on flat road or even downhill in Auto mode...

That's why I asked if someone that had tried a pure Yamaha system can give some insight...

View attachment 83559
I have a Yamaha moro emtb with the X-2 motor and use the Auto mode occasionally, usually on uphills. It does work except the eco mode is almost useless on these Yamaha tuned motors because there is virtually no assist; so when you hit flat ground and you're not accelerating there is drag.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Always wait a year when new versions come out and let the first guys lose their shirts as the beta testers.
Meanwhile buy the previous version cheap on run out.
This is a rule in all situations in life.
There are some shocking pics appearing of water ingress damage on the 2022 models now.. glad I held off on my order now, that was giving me nightmares

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Another headsup concerning the Ridecontrol Go Unit. Was able to swap the Ridecontrol Ergo 1 SG unit from a friends bike over to mine. The unit is a standalone while the Ridecontrol Go unit seems to only function with the handlebar remote as a team.
After switching it works flawlessly. Can switch the bike on/off and change modes. The bike does not switch off by itself. I did connect via bluetooth with no problems.
Switching back to the stock configuration the issue is still there which makes me believe that maybe (at least in my case) the Ergo handlebar controller might be dead and not the part in the top tube with the LEDs. Would make sense since a different toptube unit had the same problem and the standalone controller works with no issues.
Sent back the spare unit and will get a different handlebar remote next, which is cheaper than paying the warrantyclaim fee.

@goroncy and @mummyb0t One of you had something replaced? Did they actually change the handlebar 3 button remote or the thing in the top tube?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Another headsup concerning the Ridecontrol Go Unit. Was able to swap the Ridecontrol Ergo 1 SG unit from a friends bike over to mine. The unit is a standalone while the Ridecontrol Go unit seems to only function with the handlebar remote as a team.
After switching it works flawlessly. Can switch the bike on/off and change modes. The bike does not switch off by itself. I did connect via bluetooth with no problems.
Switching back to the stock configuration the issue is still there which makes me believe that maybe (at least in my case) the Ergo handlebar controller might be dead and not the part in the top tube with the LEDs. Would make sense since a different toptube unit had the same problem and the standalone controller works with no issues.
Sent back the spare unit and will get a different handlebar remote next, which is cheaper than paying the warrantyclaim fee.

@goroncy and @mummyb0t One of you had something replaced? Did they actually change the handlebar 3 button remote or the thing in the top tube?

Nothing swapped in my case. So talk to the mummy :).

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Anyone know if its ok to ride the Reign 2022 without the battery installed, due to go to Europe later this year and can't fly with the battery. It'll be uplift only though so no need for a battery, would mean I could sell my Nomad.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Anyone know if its ok to ride the Reign 2022 without the battery installed, due to go to Europe later this year and can't fly with the battery. It'll be uplift only though so no need for a battery, would mean I could sell my Nomad.

It's perfectly fine to ride park on this bike without the battery.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Mibbe cos I don't want to buy another bike mate, the DH bike would need spares etc too.

You need to service the fork and damper. If you do it with the help of professional service it will set you back 400EUR. Yourself ~100EUR for parts + 2 days wasted which is far more valuable in most cases than 300EUR. Replacing all the bearings in frame, hubs and pedals - 180EUR by pro, 80EUR just bearings (20EUR if you want Chinese crap). New brake pads and fluid in brakes: 80EUR by pro and 30EUR for pads alone. Usually tires of a used dh bike will last you 1 week in bike park. So new tires 80EUR. Now the question. Is bottom bracket ok or needs new bearings or replacing (Shimano), are headset bearings ok, are there any repairs needed in fork or damper other than usual maintenance, are the wheels good enough so that they can be straight without being dangerously unevenly tensioned, are brake disks ok, what about the drivetrain?

If you want to buy used dh bike and ride a machine that definitely wasn't serviced recently then yeah. It's relatively cheap. If you want to make it 80% good and use a mechanic you will need to pay north of 700EUR or comparable currency. If you would like to do it yourself it will cost you much more because time of a mechanic is usually not that expensive. And this is with an assumption that nothing is broken. 1000EUR/USD is much more probable.

But... Buying enduro/trail bike for park is in some cases a slightly better idea. They are usually less beaten up than dh bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles