Reign E+ 2022

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
It remember a previous post about rotors but can’t find it.
To the guy who was running magura rotors. How are they going with the shimano calipers?
I have a 220 on the front. Working fine. Didn’t give me the insane stopping power that I craved but I still went an got one for the rear, just not got round to fitting it yet. XT calipers

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
anyone in here put a coil shock on the bike? i have no complaints about the x2, but i do love a coil shock. the sensitivity and liveliness is unmatched, and you never have to faff with air pressures as they change with temps and time.
I have team edition dhx2 and 400lb spring. I'm 82 kilos with nothing on.
I could have gone bigger like 425. It only bottoms out on very large stepdowns and gaps though and not harshly. Fox spring calculator seems bit light.
Love the coil!

Dominic1212

Oct 31, 2021
Germany
Hey thanks for chiming in. 👍
My motor has 55km so far(2rides).

Was your motor silent(no noise) under load from day one?

Mine has this noise when it is under load, but it stops when it decouples, so just the opposite of yours.

I can confirm though that I already did hear a significant positive difference in the second ride about the whining sound.

Will definitely keep you posted ✌
The wining sound was much louder. I do have decoupling under load but only on flat and low gear. If i give more load on the pedals it disappears

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Getting ready for the season, quick add ons on my Reign E+ 2 :

-RS ZEB fender
-Deity Knuckleduster grips (awesome for bigger hands!)
-Sram HS2 220/200 rotors 2mm thickness (better brake feel vs. thinner Centerline rotors)
-MTX Gold Label HD brake pads (ceramic eMTB optimized pads)
-Second 625wh battery to extend battery life for these long bike park lap days

I'm also waiting on a front Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 DD maxxgrip & rear Maxxis DHRII 27.5x2.4 DD maxxterra both setup tubeless and I will keep OE tires as spares. Not sure why Giant is providing tubes with all Reign E...hello pinch flats!

Reign1.jpg
Reign2.jpg
Reign3.jpg
Reign4.jpg
Reign5.jpg

Last edited:

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
The wining sound was much louder. I do have decoupling under load but only on flat and low gear. If i give more load on the pedals it disappears
Hey did another ride today...a longer one. I do have a feeling that the noise is dying out slowly. It was quieter then last time.

I am though 100% sure that it is not related to anything inside of the motor...it's something related to the frame, I suspect that the frame motor connection has no damping washers or similar to damp out vibration...and so at certain conditions( low gears and else) it resonates causing this noise.

The ride today was with my buddy that rides the previous Reign E and has a similar noise occurring on his bike, he said it's been like that since the get go and he got used to it.

I guess this is some kind of Giant battle Roar 😜

I've decided to take it to the LBS to make a remark in the service book and keep riding as the motor is otherwise(power delivery, smoothness) working flawlessly and the battery consumption is great. If it worsens I will take it in for warranty.
Don't want some beginner service guy mess up a my new syncdrive motor...and cause more problems than I have with this noise...

Last edited:

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey didn't do that. I will though try all modes before I go to the LBS. Will keep you posted 👍.
Hey did tests in other modes today, I does it in Auto mode also, but not that obvious, it's kinda quieter or it's the motor that is louder in auto that takes over the sound prime.
I did answer to another user here recently if you want to read it. ✌ I will also do another post of today's ride stats and follow on from previous ride.

Last edited:

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
I have a 220 on the front. Working fine. Didn’t give me the insane stopping power that I craved but I still went an got one for the rear, just not got round to fitting it yet. XT calipers
Thanks man can you send a pic side on of your setup at all?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey everyone,

Third ride today...Reign E +1 625Wh

All stock settings 85kg rider, mix of asphalt and gravel

Mode 1 75
Mode 2 125

Ride was a mix of all modes with a dominance(75%) of 1 and 2.

29km
785m altitude gain
14,9km/h average speed
38% battery burned 73%》》》35%
Outside air temperature 9°C
Ride time 2h26min

Theoretical reach with 100% battery would be:》》》

- Distance 76,3km
- Altitude gain 2066m

For comparison my buddy on the 2020 Reign E with a 500Wh battery.

Mode 1 set to 50
Mode 2 set to 100

34% battery consumption 100% 》》》66%

He did most of the ride in mode 1 with occasional jumps to mode 2.

He did more distance and altitude gain then me
36km
828m

Theoretical reach with 100% battery would be: 》》》

- Distance 94,4km
- Altitude gain 2352m

If I compare the sync drive 1 vs 2 there is no significant difference in battery consumption...
My buddy would just run out of juice faster...due to the smaller battery(but he makes up for it with higer power input - stronger legs/lungs and lighter).

Although there seems to be a difference if lowering the mode power settings.

He has the Reign since it was released and had no water ingress issues with it, as I hear a lot of people are asking about it. Also runs a speedbox and the motor is flawless.
Will see what the new Reign says about that.

About the motor/frame noise... I tested it in other modes also it's the same although I think it is dying out slowly...did make a post about it already few minutes ago...

Cheers

Last edited:

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
Getting ready for the season, quick add ons on my Reign E+ 2 :

-RS ZEB fender
-Deity Knuckleduster grips (awesome for bigger hands!)
-Sram HS2 220/200 rotors 2mm thickness (better brake feel vs. thinner Centerline rotors)
-MTX Gold Label HD brake pads (ceramic eMTB optimized pads)
-Second 625wh battery to extend battery life for these long bike park lap days

I'm also waiting on a front Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5 DD maxxgrip & rear Maxxis DHRII 29x2.4 DD maxxterra both setup tubeless and I will keep OE tires as spares. Not sure why Giant is providing tubes with all Reign E...hello pinch flats!

View attachment 81713 View attachment 81714 View attachment 81715 View attachment 81716 View attachment 81717

That is not so good. If you put a 29er on the back the tubless milk wouldn't close the gap to a 27.5 rim 🤣🤣🤣

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
Hey everyone,

Third ride today...Reign E +1 625Wh

All stock settings 85kg rider, mix of asphalt and gravel

Mode 1 75
Mode 2 125

Ride was a mix of all modes with a dominance(75%) of 1 and 2.

29km
785m altitude gain
14,9km/h average speed
38% battery burned 73%》》》35%
Outside air temperature 9°C
Ride time 2h26min

Theoretical reach with 100% battery would be:》》》

- Distance 76,3km
- Altitude gain 2066m

For comparison my buddy on the 2020 Reign E with a 500Wh battery.

Mode 1 set to 50
Mode 2 set to 100

34% battery consumption 100% 》》》66%

He did most of the ride in mode 1 with occasional jumps to mode 2.

He did more distance and altitude gain then me
36km
828m

Theoretical reach with 100% battery would be: 》》》

- Distance 94,4km
- Altitude gain 2352m

If I compare the sync drive 1 vs 2 there is no significant difference in battery consumption...
My buddy would just run out of juice faster...due to the smaller battery(but he makes up for it with higer power input - stronger legs/lungs and lighter).

Although there seems to be a difference if lowering the mode power settings.

He has the Reign since it was released and had no water ingress issues with it, as I hear a lot of people are asking about it. Also runs a speedbox and the motor is flawless.
Will see what the new Reign says about that.

About the motor/frame noise... I tested it in other modes also it's the same although I think it is dying out slowly...did make a post about it already few minutes ago...

Cheers

If you ride only road and gravel i think the reign is not the bike what it is made for.
If you ride in mud and enduro sections the battery consumption is much more different and mine was unacceptable for me 🙈

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
If you ride only road and gravel i think the reign is not the bike what it is made for.
If you ride in mud and enduro sections the battery consumption is much more different and mine was unacceptable for me 🙈
Hey Duke I was planning on returning the bike on a warranty claim or(don't know if you have that in your country) for an actual error(where you get a replacement or refund no questions asked) of course with some limitations, so returning a bike full of dirt, mud..scratches...etc... probably would not be a good option or what do you think...🤷‍♂️😉

Otherwise I live in Maribor(one of the DH world cup locations) where I also ride...so no worries I know what the Reign is ment for...😉👍

It's also my first ebike and I'm sure you also didn't jump from your 14kg trail bike to a 25kg ebike and bombed it downhill from the get go 😜...

I love to pedal The Reign for was a compromise of Price, Equipment, LBS...in this order. If I had the money and local support I would probably pick something totally different with a 29er in the back.

Cheers ✌😉

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I did also return mine after having fun in the dirt for a few 100 km. Never took care what could be happen after hard use. And get a full charge for it and an exellent price for an Turbo Levo Expert 2022 😉😉😉

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I did also return mine after having fun in the dirt for a few 100 km. Never took care what could be happen after hard use. And get a full charge for it and an exellent price for an Turbo Levo Expert 2022 😉😉😉
Then you obviously have some connections in the LBS or just a better LBS...I remember your post about the change...the Levo price is way over my budget, my car isn't worth that much 😜😉✌good luck with the Levo(also has a tiny wheel in the back) 😉

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Oh and my posts are just informative material for the community. I am not bragging. I don't need any recognition for it. If you have some numbers from fun in mud, dirt...etc...that would be awesome to share...maybe someone can decide on buying or not or how to plan ther ride for conditions like that...😉

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
DSC_2081.JPG
rps20220209_155935.jpg

Zwiesel trail. None records were beaten today. People were in shock that a guy on an E-Bike appeared there in the middle of winter at all. The bike handled it like a champ. Ridiculously good machine. Downhill part was actually much better than I suspected. Snow was annoying only for like 20 first percent of the mountain.

Exactly 40% battery eaten. 750 vertical meters in snow. Level 2 assist (boosted) most of the time. Or higher. I'm 92kg with all gear now. Both tires MaxxGrip DH. Shorty front Highroller rear. Ridiculously low pressure. 1.45 rear 1,2 front. I have the biggest 750Wh battery.

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
View attachment 81753 View attachment 81754

Zwiesel trail. None records were beaten today. People were in shock that a guy on an E-Bike appeared there in the middle of winter at all. The bike handled it like a champ. Ridiculously good machine. Downhill part was actually much better than I suspected. Snow was annoying only for like 20 first percent of the mountain.

Exactly 40% battery eaten. 750 vertical meters in snow. Level 2 assist (boosted) most of the time. Or higher. I'm 92kg with all gear now. Both tires MaxxGrip DH. Shorty front Highroller rear. Ridiculously low pressure. 1.45 rear 1,2 front. I have the biggest 750Wh battery.
Given all the above the battery range is good. I come up with compatible numbers with mine (750Wh as well), I'm 80kg+winter clothes and back pack. With 5°C, some wet spots, leaves and little ice but not snow, I've done 1880mt ascent with a similar use of levels as yours.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Given all the above the battery range is good. I come up with compatible numbers with mine (750Wh as well), I'm 80kg+winter clothes and back pack. With 5°C, some wet spots, leaves and little ice but not snow, I've done 1880mt ascent with a similar use of levels as yours.

No snow you say :). I can't wait to go and ride in Latsch. One of my favorite places on this planet. Eat delicious food and drink great coffee. And visit Merano again. In next life I will be living in Italy that's for sure!

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
No snow you say :). I can't wait to go and ride in Latsch. One of my favorite places on this planet. Eat delicious food and drink great coffee. And visit Merano again. In next life I will be living in Italy that's for sure!
Beautifull places indeed. Planning to spend a week somewhere in the Bolzano or Trento provinces this summer. I'll look into Latsch for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Beautifull places indeed. Planning to spend a week somewhere in the Bolzano or Trento provinces this summer. I'll look into Latsch for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Very nice trails. Very nice food. Very nice people. Go there not in the summer but when the apple trees bloom. Amazing place.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Just came back from a little ride as it was -1C here in Quebec today.

These MTX Gold Label HD pads combined with the new HS2 rotors are no joke! Totally transformed the way I see Sram brakes now.

Bite is more crisp, more power & less noise. Power is so predictable and easy to manage now where before I had to pull the lever like mad to get max power...hands were sore after a little descent.

I was about to throw my Code Rs in the garbage when a few people recommended the MTX pads.

View attachment 81787

WinRei5.jpg

Last edited:

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
Thanks buddy I’ll give that a go. This is one of the most helpful forums I’ve been on. Not much dick slinging goes on here and I think if someone is offended just remember comments or advice can sometimes come across the wrong way when written in text rather than when spoken. Thanks everyone 👊
Hey Tim. How are you going with your forks?

May 14, 2019
NSW
Just came back from a little ride as it was -1C here in Quebec today.

These MTX Gold Label HD pads combined with the new HS2 rotors are no joke! Totally transformed the way I see Sram brakes now.

Bite is more crisp, more power & less noise. Power is so predictable and easy to manage now where before I had to pull the lever like mad to get max power...hands were sore after a little descent.

I was about to throw my Code Rs in the garbage when a few people recommended the MTX pads.

View attachment 81787

View attachment 81790
What size rotors did you replace with? And was it front and back rotors that you changed out?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles