Reign E+ 2022

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Can you fit a 29” in the rear? Else it was design around the 27,5.

what is a “normal” BB height? Rail as an example?
Comparative bikes with same travel. Here’s few I just checked, they’ll be some variations with other bikes, but these are a good 20mm higher than the Reign in High:

Yeti 160E: 350mm
Kenevo SL: 350mm
Nukeproof Megawatt: 350mm
Kellys Theos: 355mm

non eeb: Specialized Enduro 355mm

Rail I think is 341mm but has 10mm less rear travel.

Generally, at 30% sag on a longer travel ebike you’re BB height is lower than that of a shorter travel bike at the same sag point, relatively speaking.

So, if 2 different bikes have the exact same BB height, but one is a 160mm rear travel and one is a 140mm rear travel, at 30% sag on both bikes, the 160mm will have slightly lower (roughly 6mm lower) BB height when sagged at 30% rider weight.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Comparative bikes with same travel. Here’s few I just checked, they’ll be some variations with other bikes, but these are a good 20mm higher than the Reign in High:

When at 30% sag on a longer travel ebike you’re BB height is lower than that of a shorter travel bike at the same sag point.

So, if 2 different bikes have the exact same BB height, but one is a 160mm rear travel and one is a 140mm rear travel, at 30% sag on both bikes, the 160mm will have slightly lower BB height when sagged at rider weight.
Low bb explains the planted feel. Have you checked the crank arm length for E+? Smaller size has 160 and bigger 165mm. Just so don’t have 170mm due to component shortage.

tire size will also affect a bit. Pretty big difference between 2,4 DHR and 2,6 DHR.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Low bb explains the planted feel. Have you checked the crank arm length for E+? Smaller size has 160 and bigger 165mm. Just so don’t have 170mm due to component shortage.

tire size will also affect a bit. Pretty big difference between 2,4 DHR and 2,6 DHR.
Yeah I’ll check. I’ve not actually changed the rear to a DHR2- still running everything stock on the bike.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Giant Canada site has 125mm spec for medium. Giant Contact Switch, dropper, 30.9mm (S:100, M: 125, L:150m XL:170)

I did get a 150 mm PNW loam in mine with plenty of room, not so sure about a 185 though.
you can adjust the 185 down to 165 internally. I checked and it should work fin (I have one on my other bike).

Giant Swedish site
  • Sadelstolpe
    Giant Contact Switch, dropper, 30,9mm (S:125, M: 150, L/XL:170)

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada

When at 30% sag on a longer travel ebike you’re BB height is lower than that of a shorter travel bike at the same sag point.

So, if 2 different bikes have the exact same BB height, but one is a 160mm rear travel and one is a 140mm rear travel, at 30% sag on both bikes, the 160mm will have slightly lower (roughly 6mm lower) BB height when sagged at 30% rider weight.
Hi Rob, just back from LBS with new Reign E+2, 342mm flip chip on “High" everything stock no modifications.
IMG_4090.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob, just back from LBS with new Reign E+2, 342mm flip chip on “High" everything stock no modifications. View attachment 80988
Interesting. I’m gonna have to measure another time to make 100% sure!

I did get help from my daughter to take the picture, I held bike as level as I could at balance point and got pic as in line with the BB as possible (you can see through to the other site).

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Hi guys,
new to the forum, current owner of a Haibike Allmtn 3 and now I'm seriously considering getting the new Reign.
But I'm also thinking about a Trek Rail. I know all about the differences on paper (specs, geo, etc), but a hands-on experience is more valuable.

Question to @Rob Rides EMTB :
Having ridden both, what made you choose the Rail as your personal bike ?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Interesting. I’m gonna have to measure another time to make 100% sure!

I did get help from my daughter to take the picture, I held bike as level as I could at balance point and got pic as in line with the BB as possible (you can see through to the other site).

Check the pressure in the damper. And to be sure check the stroke of the damper. Maybe your bike "eaten" 2 or 3 mm of the stroke of the shock. Size of tires won't matter so much. We are all pretty much on the same gums. I'll check my bike in like 30 minutes in both low and high. With a good metal ruler.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi guys,
new to the forum, current owner of a Haibike Allmtn 3 and now I'm seriously considering getting the new Reign.
But I'm also thinking about a Trek Rail. I know all about the differences on paper (specs, geo, etc), but a hands-on experience is more valuable.

Question to @Rob Rides EMTB :
Having ridden both, what made you choose the Rail as your personal bike ?
Rob spends a lot of time answering bike questions on the Forum, Youtube, Instagram, Strava.

He generally chooses his bikes based on key presses for efficiency. "Trek" and "Rail" are about as short as you can get.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Check the pressure in the damper. And to be sure check the stroke of the damper. Maybe your bike "eaten" 2 or 3 mm of the stroke of the shock. Size of tires won't matter so much. We are all pretty much on the same gums. I'll check my bike in like 30 minutes in both low and high. With a good metal ruler.
I’ll check it out 👍. Last ride was at a bike park and I definitely added more air to the shock and ran less sag. But will be interested to check why mine is measuring this low!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Here’s another pic (taken at the same time I measured but just wanted to check it was accurate). Camera height at the exact height of BB - can see through the BB.

Bike leant up against wall, straight as possible, at balance point.

Giant Reign E1, flip chip in HIGH:

2989C51E-C331-4B02-B53D-AD8E9CF578E5.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Here’s another pic (taken at the same time I measured but just wanted to check it was accurate). Camera height at the exact height of BB - can see through the BB.

Bike leant up against wall, straight as possible, at balance point.

View attachment 80995
Won't these be dependent on how you guys have your sag's set ? i.e. there is a degree of natural sag without the rider + you need to confirm which bikes with which shocks/forks.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well I have the E1. Same as Rob. Maybe you are on to something. E2 has RS if I remember correct.
There may be small variations between RS / Fox and even small percentage variations of the same components due to tolerances.

But so far 2 of us with the E1 have BB’s at sub 330mm in the HIGH position! 😁

Either way, a manufacturer won’t even give different geo charts for these minor differences.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There may be small variations between RS / Fox and even small percentage variations of the same components due to tolerances.

But so far 2 of us with the E1 have BB’s at sub 330mm 😁

Either way, a manufacturer won’t even give different geo charts for these minor differences.
Also, you said you daughter made the measurements.

As we all know any female making a measurement will find it considerably smaller than any man making the same measurement ..

OK, I'll stop trolling now.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
You are using foldable measure. By design most of them will show 2mm less because the tip is moving. Check it out.
Yah I know but it was what I had on hand. Gives a decent indication +/- 3mm.

edit: could have used my measuring laser but didn’t think of that.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
So looking to get a giant e+ 2022. 625wh battery. Seeing a few people getting very low range on their battery. New Yamaha motor not very efficient?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles