Reign E+ 2022

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Last week I scouted a tour with the Syncdrive Pro (PW-X2), and this weekend I repeated the loop with the Syncdrive Pro2 (PW-X3).
400m ascend on trail, steeply uphill, partly wet and muddy, high steps and blocked places, also had to stop every now and then and start again which all costs battery. Downhill some short, steep counter climbs. The conditions were like to like, therefore a valid comparison. But since the fun was in the foreground this time, I rode everything with level 4/5 or in Smart Assist mode. BTW: no problem to keep up with the EP8 ;-)

HPT.jpg

Temperature 5-10 degrees. A total of 900hm on 90% trail. Mainly level 4/5, otherwise automatic. At the end 39% battery remaining . The EP8 with 540Wh battery had only a single bar left, although the driver is clearly fitter and lighter. This showed once again how much the temperature, surface, difficulty and the riders ability to tackle demanding terrain has an influence on the battery range.

Personally I find the Giant Syncdrive Pro2 feels even more natural than its predecessor. No longer that nervous when you tip on the pedal, and the more input I provide, the more support I'm getting. Less spin-outs than before. Therefore, more predictable in the terrain. I've also pulled many power wheelies while riding with a high cadence, which is not quite so easy with the PW-X2. If someone really will notice the additional 5NM of torque in reality? I don't think so. And I don't mind as I always had and have enough support.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
RRP on the Trance +0 is apparently £7999 which is unbelievable value in current marketplace, though I have to say live valve has no interest to me.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
I'm with you on the Live Valve, but as it is included in the Trance Advanced E+ 1 I've ordered there is no way arround it. But my wife will love it - no more knobs to twist and wonder what the heck they are ment to be for :giggle:
Happy to see the weight savings (22,2kg in Size M according to this review) and that it's going to remain a versatile allrounder.

seofrancisco

Nov 24, 2021
Canada
Just came from my first ride on my new Reign e+ 0 2022, I really like it. (the only thing I have to get used to is the SRAM brakes coming from SLX).

I did some upgrades to the bike:
-SRAM x01 eagle AXS upgrade kit
-RockShox Reverb AXS Dropper Post
-TyreWiz
-RideWrap on the bike
-Tubeless

It's is getting very cold here in Toronto but I have to try the bike.

I will share some pics soon.

I had to travel to Montreal to get the bike because I couldn't find it in Ontario.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Just came from my first ride on my new Reign e+ 0 2022, I really like it. (the only thing I have to get used to is the SRAM brakes coming from SLX).

I did some upgrades to the bike:
-SRAM x01 eagle AXS upgrade kit
-RockShox Reverb AXS Dropper Post
-TyreWiz
-RideWrap on the bike
-Tubeless

It's is getting very cold here in Toronto but I have to try the bike.

I will share some pics soon.

I had to travel to Montreal to get the bike because I couldn't find it in Ontario.

Wow you bought the bike from Cycles Dupuis right ? That's where I bought mine also, did they have every upgrade parts in stock ?

They posted your bike on their Instagram story this Saturday, I took a look at it a few times...bike is stunning!

I also came from Shimano brakes, having a hard time getting used to the new Sram Code brakes, my hands were getting sore from pulling that lever hard to get all the power.

seofrancisco

Nov 24, 2021
Canada
I have a question, if I buy a magura mt7 pro, to install in the bike do I need to change the rotors or will be ok with the stock SRAM?
Thanks

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
I have a question, if I buy a magura mt7 pro, to install in the bike do I need to change the rotors or will be ok with the stock SRAM?
Thanks

It depends who you ask. I talked to a Magura rep last weekend who, to my lack of surprise, advised against it. On the other hand, I have MT5s paired with a 203mm SRAM centreline rotor on my trials bike and it works perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
I test rode and took home an E+1.

Initial comments below with the caveat that I've only test-ridden friends' EMTBs:
  1. no issue with chainstay length - it didn't feel long and prevents looping-out at slow speeds which isn't something I've had to deal with on analogues;
  2. not much harder to bunnyhop than my enduro bike, though harder to manual at slow speeds for sure. Doesn't feel any less nimble even at slow speeds, though the wheelbase IS slightly shorter;
  3. brakes need a lot of work to be acceptable IMO. A friend has XTs on his Commencal Meta Power and has been telling me the same thing. It's the extra weight and the fact that they weren't properly bedded in no doubt, though I could barely endo even when moving my weight up and over the front wheel;
  4. there is a noticeable lag in pick-up with the motor which made it impossible for me to pedal-kick 180.. maybe I can work on technique;
  5. even in the 'low' setting, there is a tonne of clearance - honestly have no idea what people are complaining about;
  6. the biggest issue is that the bike only shipped with a 125mm dropper post in size medium - this is completely inadequate IMO;
  7. smart tyre choice - DD high roller 2.5WT in rear and DHF in EXO+ 2.6 out front - no need to swap these out for general conditions IMO;
  8. fit and finish is very good compared to the Marin E2. Giant seems to have really nailed it recently.
I'm about 5'10-11 and the medium is bang-on. I wouldn't personally even consider a large unless I was about 6'2 and/or primarily after a race bike.

I'm probably going to downgrade some of the components like the derailleur and get some money out of it before it takes a hit. I also have some parts arriving to build up a cheap HG rear wheel so I can run the cheap all-steel PG1210 cassettes and some 10-speed bits I have laying around.

Aside from tweaking the brakes (sintered pads?), a longer dropper and your choice of pedals, you shouldn't really need to put any money into this bike. It's good to go.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So how much of the downtube is structural ? The plastic battery cover appears to be significant ? does this overlap a lot of structural material or have they managed to make this considerably smaller than other bikes which either have a fully enclosed tube or a significant C/U shape ?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Ordinary Human Male said:
I test rode and took home an E+1.
Congrats on the new Bike!

Ordinary Human Male said:
Aside from tweaking the brakes (sintered pads?), a longer dropper and your choice of pedals, you shouldn't really need to put any money into this bike. It's good to go.

I did change to a 150mm Dropper at the LBS when I picked up the Bike.
Seems like Giant does not have enough supply to ship them from the Fab and hence moved to 125mm on the small and medium modells.

My lesson learned from the Trance X e+1 with XT Brakes: moving from Sinter to organic pads, and from Shimano to Trickstuff Power just wasn't good enough. Right now I'm riding Galfer E-MTB Rotors (2mm wide) and their purple E-MTB Brake pads, and this has improved performance significantly. Eventuall I will move to a 220mm Rotor on the front when the old one is worn out.

With this background (and because I'm already running Shigura on my Freeride Bike) I built my Reign with Shigura and 220mm MDR-P Rotor on the front from day one on. This combination is an anker and the best recommendation I can give if you're searching for ultimate breaking performance at an affordable price point. If money is not your problem and you can wait 12 Months, have a look at the Trickstuff Diretissima ;-)

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
So how much of the downtube is structural ? The plastic battery cover appears to be significant ? does this overlap a lot of structural material or have they managed to make this considerably smaller than other bikes which either have a fully enclosed tube or a significant C/U shape ?
Not all of the black that you see in that image is plastic. The plastic is only really the bottom surface of the the downtube, up to the notch out above the Giant logo and down to just ahead of the motor. The structural material is pretty much the full U-shape

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
that XL is gorgeous. i find out today whether or not the Marin E2 i ordered a year ago will be delivered this Dec or not. i'm tired of waiting and the date pushed back. if not, there is one of these in XL locally in stock and i'll be buying it. Marin released the E series to great fanfare and incredible reviews and.......... almost no ability to bring them to market. Giant released their new eebs and bang, they are in stores now. they must have massive leverage compared to other companies, or maybe the timing was just right. i feel bad for Marin, they must have lost thousands of sales for bikes they can't provide.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Yes Sir, if you want to pedal a 25kg E-MTB without assistance you can do it with the Giant with almost no drag. But I don't get the point why one would want to other than save battery.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So come on

come on rob what time is this video dropping. I need to see if I’ve wasted my money buying this bike 🤣🤣
Sorry Tim, it’s only a first look vid not full review. And like most things in the bike industry my vid is slightly delayed !

first impressions: great geo, quite heavy, amazing value for money, some odd component choices (55mm stem, 160 dropper on XL), amazing controller, neat integration.
Really looking forward to riding it to be honest.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
Yes Sir, if you want to pedal a 25kg E-MTB without assistance you can do it with the Giant with almost no drag. But I don't get the point why one would want to other than save battery.

oh, definitely wouldn't want to. but if you had to at the end of a ride with a few miles to go and outta jam. some bikes are terrible with lots of drag.

seofrancisco

Nov 24, 2021
Canada
Yes mine bike came with 125 dropper on M. That's why I change also to 170 RockShox Reverb AXS Dropper Post and I am glad I did it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles