Rain proof cover for bike rack

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hey, just wondering what do you all use when transport your bikes on a bike rack and it starts to rain or is raining! I have a thule 3 bike carrier and they only one they seem to sell suits a rack for a camper. At the moment I just try and protect the bosch display, but surly at 50 to 60Mph for over an hour can't be good for bike.

Gally

Dec 24, 2021
UK
The thought has crossed my mind before but never done it. I have come across this video though with someone using a cover on a tow bike carrier.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have what I believe to be the non-folding version. Brilliant bit of kit and high quality too, although I wish they had spent another 50p on the locks.
I have the Thule Velospace XT 2-bike carrier. I went for the 13-pin model and the model number is 938. It is designed for fatbikes and/or emtbs. The bikes can weigh up to 30kg each and the tyre width up to 5" (I think, if that is important to you, best check). Anyway, it's certainly more than you need for an emtb. If I drop the rear seats, the rack goes in the boot easily. It weighs 18kg.

I didn't bother with that Thule thing for carbon frames, I used some pipe insulation instead and I'm still happy with it. Initially I relied on the Thule grips, but they let go of the bike whilst moving....TWICE! That is trauma! :eek: I now know that it was not the fault of the Thule grip or its lock. What caused it was me failing to notice that the grip was not on the smallest cross section of the heavily shaped top tube. Under vibration, the grip slid down to the smaller cross section, the frame slipped out and the bike pivoted down to the road whereupon the tarmac proceeded to grind away the grip and the end of the bar!!
I have tried toe-straps, rope, even a leather belt, but I found that these "Gear Ties" from Niteize to be the best thing since sliced bread. I just know that I will never lose the bike again. the fact that they are a bright orange means that I only have to glance in the rear view to see that one is in place.

Bike straps 3.jpg

£9.99 each from Gear Tie® Mega Twist Tie 32 in.
Worth every single penny for the peace of mind it brings.

I have transported this bike (Merida eOne-Sixty, Shimano EP8,) and my previous one (Focus Jam2, Shimano e8000) in the rain and at 70mph+ without any problems. The bike always started when I got where I was going.

PS: Just having my bike on the back of the car drops my fuel economy by 10%. I can't imagine how bad it would be with a cover on it!

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
The thought has crossed my mind before but never done it. I have come across this video though with someone using a cover on a tow bike carrier.
Funny enough I own one of them covers, but it's to small for 800m bars, so might order the XL.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I need this to protect my monster E-Cells E-MTB from the horrendous dust when I'm on Nevada's gravel and dirt backcountry roads.
That means it needs to go UNDER the tires and secure the bottom keep dust out.
Been looking on AMAZON and the most expensive covers average about $24. which is surprisingly low priced.
I'll probably get one with lockable grommets then have extra strength VELCRO sewn along the entire bottom to close it off completely. The fine dirt road dust here gets into every d@mn crack and cranny on the back end of a vehicle.
Aaaarrrrrgghhh!

Last edited:

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I went for the probike cover in the end.

I use a 3 bike rack so went for the biggest one which allows me to cover it on the rack including the rack so I can clear the arm etc on the rack it's self.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
It slowly dawned on me that if I carried the bike cover I could use it as a shelter for hunting in an all-day rain where you just sit and use your range finding binoculars - and nibble on snacks, curse the weather and TRY to find a comfortable position, knowing full well you will only find a less uncomfortable position.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Wouldn't a cover just act as a huge sail? That would put huge forces on the bike and rack at speed, and massacre fuel economy.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think it would be better to just sort out a collection of protective pieces to fit items like the controller and the downtube if it is the type that has a plastic cover......maybe another around the motor casing area. Pieces shaped using neoprene and secured with hd velcro might be best. I would also buy a couple of disc covers.

Another...maybe more complex solution...would be a deflector. Most saloons direct airflow off the back of the vehicle at a height level with the boot whilst estates typically have no rear wing effect ( which is why the rear window gets filthy and has a wiper blade)

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I'll put the cover on whern I'm going 5 to 20 mph on gravel and dirt roads where the dust is ATROCIOUS. The batteries will be in my car but the electrodes on the bike will be temporarily covered with masking tape. The dust is literally like talcum powder - only finer. That's why the cover I get has to be long enough to Velcro beneath the entire bike. I'll have a tailor sew the Velcro on.

I will be forced to use the cover any time i'm carrying the bike on salty, slushy roads. In that case it will be literally covered in heavy duty tie-down straps that i normally use on my sea kayak when its on my roof.

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Hi, I’m looking at the Formosa Travel Bike cover for going places with our two E-mtbs on a Thule rack. Does anyone have experience with this?

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 11.08.42 AM.png

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Hi, I’m looking at the Formosa Travel Bike cover for going places with our two E-mtbs on a Thule rack. Does anyone have experience with this?

View attachment 117115
I cannot begin to imagine the load that 2 emtbs plus this sail will put on your rack. It'll be many, many times over the load threshold for the rack and towbar at highway speeds, and I'd guess you'd be lucky to get even half your usual fuel economy.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Under $10. And the best part is wrapping behind the pedals you can ride with it on. Keeping mud and water away from the battery and internals.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
That's exactly what I've been using up to now... I'm looking for a more permanent solution, maybe a full enclosure is too much, are there any bottom bracket/battery connectors cover out there?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Under $10. And the best part is wrapping behind the pedals you can ride with it on. Keeping mud and water away from the battery and internals.
Wouldn't heat become an alternative worry if you do that? The motor is air-cooled, if you stop airflow then it might stay dry but then overheat instead?

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Wouldn't heat become an alternative worry if you do that? The motor is air-cooled, if you stop airflow then it might stay dry but then overheat instead?
TBH I’ve never really felt the motor get hot. When it gets 105* here it could be an issue.

I’ll do some experiments and report back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles