Tow ball bike rack

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Is there a chance you have a non standard tow ball size?
I have the buzz rack scorpion and it secures tight with ease. I only have to push the lever down with light hand pressure?
My rack has never moved and I can't twist it manually.
Hi. Unlikely. Was on a fleet car from Land Rover that I bought. I’ve tried with a lot of care many times to get a solid and secure purchase on the tow ball and it moves laterally. I suppose it’s possible that I have one with a fault of some sorts but I’d expect a fault to be more obvious in some other way as well, e.g. can’t get it on at all, or not grip at all, etc.
I don’t know what else to say, this is my experience of this rack and that of at least one other person on this forum, but I’m glad that at least you don’t have any issues.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Hi. Unlikely. Was on a fleet car from Land Rover that I bought. I’ve tried with a lot of care many times to get a solid and secure purchase on the tow ball and it moves laterally. I suppose it’s possible that I have one with a fault of some sorts but I’d expect a fault to be more obvious in some other way as well, e.g. can’t get it on at all, or not grip at all, etc.
I don’t know what else to say, this is my experience of this rack and that of at least one other person on this forum, but I’m glad that at least you don’t have any issues.
There's got to be an explanation for your problem though.
When you rack is off can you easily turn the lever, they can get seized, so you think your doing it up tight, but it's not moving.
There's also a little plastic insert on the clamping mechanism, make sure that's not getting in the gap and stopping it clamping.
I could take a few pics of mine secured and you can make sure yours looks the same if you like ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

Why is it unlikely you have a different (and non compatible) tow ball.

Different balls exist.

It would be the most logical explanation why you are having such issues as tbh the way the thing clamps up is pretty straight forward.

It could be a faulty product, but it could be this also....

Can you post a pic of your tow ball?

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
There's got to be an explanation for your problem though.
When you rack is off can you easily turn the lever, they can get seized, so you think your doing it up tight, but it's not moving.
There's also a little plastic insert on the clamping mechanism, make sure that's not getting in the gap and stopping it clamping.
I could take a few pics of mine secured and you can make sure yours looks the same if you like ?
Thanks. I know the plastic insert you are talking about. It’s all good and sitting as it should. Lever turning fine. I agree there must be an explanation.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I tried my buzzrack today for the first time, thought i would trial run it without a bike on first.
I had the same problem where i could just see a bit of the silver splayed bits, tightened the bar and it still moved side to side.
Took it off, backed the grey plastic twirly bit right off, refitted it and the second time it dropped further down than before. I also slightly rocked it up and down as i re tightened the grey twirly bit which also helped. Tighten the bar and it was solid as a rock.

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
"I've also replaced the longest arm with a Thule arm as they are detachable at both ends, which makes it easier to pick up a friend (or did, when that sort of thing was allowed."

Which arm did you get

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
My Thule Velocompact II. A sinch to use, mounts in seconds, stows small enough to fit in the boot and has a tilt function as well.
The bike fits well on wheel pads and secured via ratchet straps and lockable top arm.
D11CA887-76DC-479D-8F48-D0EAC454C1B8.jpeg
FE81CDCF-72AA-470B-BDCC-A81B8E4DCB01.jpeg
7BF57B70-D10B-4B75-9F6B-0FC437CACCA2.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A cautionary tale to those relying solely on the clamp on their tow-bar racks to secure their precious bike.

Twice, my clamp lost its grip on the bike and the bike pivoted down onto the road, where the end of the grip contacted the road. The road acted like a massive grinding wheel and rapidly wore away the grip and the end of the bar. That was in the brief time it took for me to notice and to stop the car. I was lucky on both occasions that there was no other traffic to be avoiding. I was fortunate to be using Ergon GP1 grips that have a substantial alloy body and it took most of the hit. I shudder to think about the damage that may have occurred with only a conventional lock-on grip.

I now take no chances and I wrap a Gorilla strap around the clamp and bike frame in a figure-of-eight fashion to prevent this happening again. If you can't get a Gorilla strap, anything will do; a toe strap for example, a leather belt or even some string!

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
A cautionary tale to those relying solely on the clamp on their tow-bar racks to secure their precious bike.

Twice, my clamp lost its grip on the bike and the bike pivoted down onto the road, where the end of the grip contacted the road. The road acted like a massive grinding wheel and rapidly wore away the grip and the end of the bar. That was in the brief time it took for me to notice and to stop the car. I was lucky on both occasions that there was no other traffic to be avoiding. I was fortunate to be using Ergon GP1 grips that have a substantial alloy body and it took most of the hit. I shudder to think about the damage that may have occurred with only a conventional lock-on grip.

I now take no chances and I wrap a Gorilla strap around the clamp and bike frame in a figure-of-eight fashion to prevent this happening again. If you can't get a Gorilla strap, anything will do; a toe strap for example, a leather belt or even some string!
I second this! Make sure you have a tether besides the clamp. Not had bad luck yet but see the opportunity for sure!

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I’ve had two Thule carriers and never had a problem with either off them. I can’t fix a clamp to the seat post but I’m mote than happy to clamp on the frame on my Whyte E-150. Once the bike is secured on the carrier I always double check every thing before I drive off. The clamp knob is lockable so no worries ?

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
I've been using an Atera Strada M3 for about three years. The mount onto the towball is super easy and I've never had it move. It's so quick that I'll take the rack off and throw it in the boot when I park up for a ride.

I bought the longer wheel straps for two slots as I used to have a plus bike. I've also replaced the longest arm with a Thule arm as they are detachable at both ends, which makes it easier to pick up a friend (or did, when that sort of thing was allowed.

Seems incredibly secure, rated to take e-bikes, and while I also strap a brake lever to stop movement, I'm overall really, really happy with it.

+1
Bought the bigger straps and wheels chocks. 30 seconds to put it on the car.

B8497D22-2039-48C3-B78C-C06E7E515CE6.jpeg

D7B0F206-DDED-433E-923F-2898F63DB046.jpeg

8CE08D45-FDD8-441A-842F-1665FED6B22C.jpeg

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
been using the escorpian for a while now and can say it does exactly what it should, mounts easy, very secure and the bikes are a doddle to load. Very happy with it.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I presently use a Thule XT Pro (hitch mount) which secures the wheels on 2 emtbs without touching the frame. Love it but I can’t get a hitch for the new car I’ve ordered so I’ll have to get a ball mounted rack. All seem to clamp on the frame. Does long term use scratch it ? I’m quite fussy about damage caused unless I crash it myself - LOL...

Probably will go Thule again but Buzzrack is also a possibility. Wider spacing is better as our bikes don’t touch at present. Maybe a 3 bike rack and leave the centre empty ? Reading this thread with interest.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.............. I’ll have to get a ball mounted rack. All seem to clamp on the frame. Does long term use scratch it ? I.......
I put some old pipe insulation around the frame where the clamp goes. This stops any damage from the clamp, but it may contribute to the clamp losing its grip, so be certain, secure the clamp to the frame with a Gorilla strap, a toe strap, or anything really.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I presently use a Thule XT Pro (hitch mount) which secures the wheels on 2 emtbs without touching the frame. Love it but I can’t get a hitch for the new car I’ve ordered so I’ll have to get a ball mounted rack. All seem to clamp on the frame. Does long term use scratch it ? I’m quite fussy about damage caused unless I crash it myself - LOL...

Probably will go Thule again but Buzzrack is also a possibility. Wider spacing is better as our bikes don’t touch at present. Maybe a 3 bike rack and leave the centre empty ? Reading this thread with interest.
I’m exactly the same when it comes to damage to the bike......my biggest bug bear is cable run ??

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Anyone have any input on what the advantages/disadvantages of:

Thule Velospace vs Easyfold
Yakima Justclick vs Foldclick

And the one brand over the other ?

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Anyone have any input on what the advantages/disadvantages of:

Thule Velospace vs Easyfold

Easyfold folds Velospace has more space between bikes (25cm vs 22cm) and taller a-frame which makes securing bikes easier. If storage is no problem, get the Velospace. And it's cheaper.

Ozynigma

May 26, 2021
Australia
Thanks. I know the plastic insert you are talking about. It’s all good and sitting as it should. Lever turning fine. I agree there must be an explanation.

Hi, did you ever figure out a solution?

I just test fitted a Buzzrack at the shop I bought my e-bike from and neither the salesman or I could get it stop from swiveling. We even removed the plastic insert to allow the clamp to flex in tighter. Maybe we didn't loosen the top knob off enough first to get it seated over the towball. In any case I didn't buy the rack.

So I have been looking into towballs and mine is an ISO 50 as required. Its measuring 49.8-9 on the ball so pretty close to 50mm. Its measuring 28.6 on the shank below the ball. I read elsewhere that the ISO standard is 29mm but I haven't been able to confirm this.

I am hoping a new towball will fix the problem and I can go ahead with the purchase of the e-Hornet 3 rack.

nodrogsom

Mar 26, 2021
Perth Western australia
Hi, did you ever figure out a solution?

I just test fitted a Buzzrack at the shop I bought my e-bike from and neither the salesman or I could get it stop from swiveling. We even removed the plastic insert to allow the clamp to flex in tighter. Maybe we didn't loosen the top knob off enough first to get it seated over the towball. In any case I didn't buy the rack.

So I have been looking into towballs and mine is an ISO 50 as required. Its measuring 49.8-9 on the ball so pretty close to 50mm. Its measuring 28.6 on the shank below the ball. I read elsewhere that the ISO standard is 29mm but I haven't been able to confirm this.

I am hoping a new towball will fix the problem and I can go ahead with the purchase of the e-Hornet 3 rack.
Square tube over square tube with a pin wont swivel to the attachment point

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles