What bike rack?

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I'm hoping Thule will make a European version of their Helium Platform 2 rack sold in the US...best rack I've seen so far!

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
That is a very impressive rack.

Only two issues:

1: The reviewer says its only rated at 37.5lbs, so ok for 1 e-bike but NOT 2 e-bikes. @$700 that's expensive
2: Not obvious it works on a towbar ball, it seems to have some other mounting mechanism ( watch the end of the video as he removes the pin)???

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
That is a very impressive rack.

Only two issues:

1: The reviewer says its only rated at 37.5lbs, so ok for 1 e-bike but NOT 2 e-bikes. @$700 that's expensive
2: Not obvious it works on a towbar ball, it seems to have some other mounting mechanism ( watch the end of the video as he removes the pin)???
#1 dang it, I thought he was talking about the overall weight if the rack istelf. Checked again and it is only for 2 bikes at 37.5 lbs for 75lbs total. They need an ebike version with 60kg capacity.

#2 The US uses a square tubular mount that is much different than European tow bars hence the need for a Europeanized version that attaches to the ball....

I guess it's either the Thule EasyFold XT or VeloSpace XT until they come out with something better

Oh and $700 is only £512 which is about the same price as the VeloSpace 2 on in the UK

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Thule easy fold here, we were impressed with how well it secures to the tow ball and how easy it is to attach and remove.

Makes heading out fora day or weekend adventure a pleasure.
We also use the seatpost / stem mounted bike bar perfect .
Good bike carrier are expensive , but what is your new ebike worth ?

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Tow-hitch all the way.

I had a Kuat Sherpa (v.1) but had to upgrade to a Kuat NV 2.0 due to the weight limit of eMTB. We also own a Thule T2 Pro XT w/ extension for 4 bikes.

The Kuat NV 2.0 is really well designed, nicer looking and a little easier to use (to me) than the Thule T2 Pro XT. In particular, I like the integrated locking cable much better on the Kuat. Thule T2 Pro XT seems to flex a little less, but they're both solid with a simple 3-points of attachment strategy. It's quick on and off and secure if you place the fork arm where it belongs (many don't RTFM).

I also strongly considered 1-UP but they were out of stock due to COVID and I wanted to use my 20% REI coupon. But worth a look if you are in the market. They look bulletproof CNC machined and raves by many mtbers.

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
Hi
I gave these extending support bars which fit around the seat post and under the stem
It means the clamps can easily fit and they are designed so you don’t clamp to the carbon frame (which I have) and you can tighten as much as you like
They are from Halfords (UK)

View attachment 48915

View attachment 48916
Awesome. What r these called and I need them. I have an issue with the thule clamps on the bike. Can’t get them solid.

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
I use the thule but being an American vehicle I had to re wire the rack from 11 wire to 4 wire. Two e bikes and to be honest it’s not easy to get them locked into place with the frame grabbing pieces. The family has 3 e bikes and a 4th soon so it’s gonna be interesting.

669FCB30-EE42-46DC-942B-F90DBDD3CCF1.jpeg

9D3518D0-25B0-442F-B550-511C47CEFCE3.jpeg

Code54

Nov 5, 2020
Hurricane WV
I just ordered the 1up - can hold 4 bikes (I went with 3) and they offer a swing out adapter for the whole rack and I added a ramp for the Bikes. Cry once but buy once was my theory.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Like the 1UP, only more expensive and less load capacity.:) I am not a brand ambassador, I just really like the rack.
Nice rack for the money for sure but unfortunately 1up don't sell their racks in Europe. In fact, I had to use a VPN to even view their website. What's up with that....

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Hi
I gave these extending support bars which fit around the seat post and under the stem
It means the clamps can easily fit and they are designed so you don’t clamp to the carbon frame (which I have) and you can tighten as much as you like
They are from Halfords (UK)

View attachment 48915

View attachment 48916
thats genuis, would you have a pic of it on the vehicle so i can see it ? i have a carrier and the bars dont fit the cube downtube similar issue to yours i guess rack is for more traditional straight top bar, dont get me wrong ive started looking at transporter vans but the bar would be cheaper hahaha

Ashley M

Dec 29, 2020
Derbyshire
thats genuis, would you have a pic of it on the vehicle so i can see it ? i have a carrier and the bars dont fit the cube downtube similar issue to yours i guess rack is for more traditional straight top bar, dont get me wrong ive started looking at transporter vans but the bar would be cheaper hahaha
I don’t have a picture on the vehicle unfortunatley

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
Cool to see a topic from an Trek Rail 9 owner, also picked mine up today!

Have an Thule Easyfold XT2 (933) specially purchased for the eBikes a week ago. Picked up my Trek Rail 9 and my girlfriends Liv Intrigue X E+ 2 today in Germany and had some trouble getting them on the bike rack. Forgot to make good pictures but the frame is to thick for the stick clamps. Used the “suspension” link on the Liv and the “seat” part of the Trek to fixed the bikes to the rack.

It worked pretty good but I’m not to happy with this solution. Would be much nicer if the bike is fixated on much higher to make it more stable.

Someone got some experience with different clamps for the Thule carrier?

View attachment 48541

View attachment 48542

View attachment 48543
I have the same issue. What I have done to fix mine is bought the bar that goes from the stem to the seat post but also switched my bikes around. Also as a last resort if my two bikes come off I put a cable lock from around the frame to the upright bar.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Another One-up user here. Best rack I've ever owned. Constructed from Extruded aluminum, nothing is shaped or formed. I work for an aluminum manufacturer and we use extrusions extensively with our Fire Bodies, trailers etc.

Definitely an investment, but the weight capacity is higher than any I could find. Makes me feel warm a fuzzy knowing the weight of one or two bikes is far under its capacity of four bikes.

rack.jpg

Code54

Nov 5, 2020
Hurricane WV
My 1up rack showed up this week - it is REALLY nicely made and far more solid than any others I got to look at. I am glad I spent the money and bought it over cheaper alternatives..

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
My 1up rack showed up this week - it is REALLY nicely made and far more solid than any others I got to look at. I am glad I spent the money and bought it over cheaper alternatives..
They are great racks, I see lots of them around here but they are made in WI - just make sure you bend at the knees as they're heavy.

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Saris MTR-2: MTR 2-Bike Modular Platform Rack is another great rack.

Ergonomics are a bit better than the 1UP since you can use one hand to unlock and lower the retention arms where this requires both hands with the 1Up rack. However, the 1UP is much better build quality since it's mostly aluminum construction vs a number of plastic parts used on the Saris.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Saris MTR-2: MTR 2-Bike Modular Platform Rack is another great rack.

Ergonomics are a bit better than the 1UP since you can use one hand to unlock and lower the retention arms where this requires both hands with the 1Up rack. However, the 1UP is much better build quality since it's mostly aluminum construction vs a number of plastic parts used on the Saris.
I wholeheartedly agree, tilting the 1-up is a bit of a PITA. The release bar has a centered spring and from time to time its hard to get both sides to release which can be frustrating.

I still really like mine though. I'd buy another if it were stolen.

thread

May 5, 2021
Rotorua, New Zealand
I have the Thule easyfold 932 ( see : Thule EasyFold 932 bike carrier review - Total Women's Cycling )...i think it's almost the same as the XT2. The only difference is that it's foldable.
Anyway, if I go biking I can put the bike rack easily in the trunk, so nobody sees it. It's quiet expensive, but worth the money :)

I thought the 938 Velospace had a larger gap between the two bikes? If you don't want the larger eMTBs (Trek Rail?) to bang together & chip paintwork then I personally think the Velospace might be a better rack.

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
I am just having a tow bar fitted and am pretty much set on the THULE easyfold 2 bike carrier. I have an xxl Cube reaction hybrid with a 1236 wheelbase. I know the capacity says 1300mm on the Thule website but my bike really is massive. What do you think folks? Anyone else carrying an XXL on a thule?

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
I went and purchased the thule XT2 easyfold and its a great bit of kit. It takes me a minute or two to attach and a couple of minutes to get my bike on. It fits my Cube XXL 29er . Cost me around a grand for the tow ball and rack so not a cheap option but for transporting my ebike its spot on. I am yet to try it with two bikes though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles