Levo Gen 2 Problems with 2021 levo deliveries

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
So I have 4 friends who have put in an order for a 2021 levo (2 months ago).
The bikes were promised by the end of august, so far 2 friends have taken delivery of theirs. (tank god)
We ran by the shop to ask when we could pick up the other two.
Suddenly the shop owner said he could not see when the delivery of these two bikes were scheduled.
He tried talking them into accepting different colour options and said the problem lies within the specialized warehouse were stuff seems to be going wrong.
Is anyone else experiencing issues like these?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In Europe there appears to ba a big backlog with a lots of brands at the moment, I think Covid is still having a pretty big effect on supply chains, and of course staffing within the supply chains

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So I have 4 friends who have put in an order for a 2021 levo (2 months ago).
The bikes were promised by the end of august, so far 2 friends have taken delivery of theirs. (tank god)
We ran by the shop to ask when we could pick up the other two.
Suddenly the shop owner said he could not see when the delivery of these two bikes were scheduled.
He tried talking them into accepting different colour options and said the problem lies within the specialized warehouse were stuff seems to be going wrong.
Is anyone else experiencing issues like these?
I am sure the shop is doing all they can to get your friends their bikes, he sounds very reasonable offering different color options. But it’s out of his control. There is nothing he can do to bring the bikes in any faster. Trust me as a retailer, he’s doing everything that could be done to get your friends off his fucking back.
If you can’t wait ask for a refund and go to another shop where it will be the same story.

You see, it isn’t a Specialized warehouse going wrong.

It’s the whole fucking planet going wrong.

COVID-19 has affected production schedules and delivery schedules all over the world.
Because most factories are in Asia where COVID 19 infections were first reported, most factories were furloughed for the first 5-6 months of 2020.
Combine the manufacturing delays with a global lockdown and a 300% increase in demand.
For example, the Specialized Rockhopper. We ordered 200 Rockhoppers for the summer.
Specialized only had 3600 coming into inventory.
But there were over 50000 orders for these bikes.
I have only received 40 Rockhoppers so far and it’s now September.
we were very fortunate to receive 3 dozen 2021 Levo comps, but they sold out in 10 days.
Try running a bicycle retailer that sells 4500 bikes a year and your biggest vendor can’t deliver the bikes you need for your customers.
Specialized has expected delivery dates on all of their bikes, but this can change at any point.
Specialized may have their manufacturing back up to capacity, but say the Fork or a dropperpost from a supplier is delayed, that type of delay is happening all the time and it can completely fuck your production schedule.
When I was a product developer, this would happen from time to time even when there wasn’t a global pandemic.
This is happening with every major brand.

Be patient, the bikes will get there.

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The USA is in a trade war with China, but Levos are built in Taiwan so it’s not the problem at the moment, but some components are coming from China so there are supply chain interruptions

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
Thanks for the insight all. Guess they'll just have to wait it out...

I had the misconception that the dealer knew what bikes were on order and about to be delivered. Turns out it doesn't work that way :)

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I’ve no clue , but all summer there has been a dearth of bikes , especially e-bikes, wherever I’ve been / heard about. Friends just sourced their specialized in Chamonix and Spain. It was hard work. They are a driven couple though. Took delivery of both this week In UK.

how much is increase in demand due to re-kindled interest in the great outdoors due COVID? I I were an Ebike manufacturer I’d call it « a great problem to have «

tnull5

Sep 2, 2020
Valencia, California
I had a 2021 Levo Comp on order since July 16th. After waiting for a month and a half, my shop told me that Specialized had frames in the US, but not enough parts to complete the bikes. October she said. I knew, having been a store manager in my early 20's (now 55) that it really meant that it could be December or January. So I took a 2020 Levo and upgraded the brakes to XT, Oneup carbon bar and Oneup stem. My Fox 36 Factory fork just arrived. I am looking for a new shock. Like the DVO Topaz T3, but no one has any, October from DVO. Considering Fox DPX2. I think for me, it will be a good decision since I can upgrade everything I want. The base bike meant I had money to upgrade. The comp would have been nice, but I am happy so far. Just hard to find bikes. No fault of my dealer or Specialized from what I hear.

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Interesting that others are having the same experience. I also ordered July 16, original delivery end of august, now being told end of October.

I was looking forward to using it this season, but looks like that’s out of the cards. I’ll be very disappointed if a gen 3 levo gets announced early in 2021.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I had a 2021 Levo Comp on order since July 16th. After waiting for a month and a half, my shop told me that Specialized had frames in the US, but not enough parts to complete the bikes. October she said. I knew, having been a store manager in my early 20's (now 55) that it really meant that it could be December or January. So I took a 2020 Levo and upgraded the brakes to XT, Oneup carbon bar and Oneup stem. My Fox 36 Factory fork just arrived. I am looking for a new shock. Like the DVO Topaz T3, but no one has any, October from DVO. Considering Fox DPX2. I think for me, it will be a good decision since I can upgrade everything I want. The base bike meant I had money to upgrade. The comp would have been nice, but I am happy so far. Just hard to find bikes. No fault of my dealer or Specialized from what I hear.
posts some pics?

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
pic of what? A Gen 3 Levo?
here is a video of it being tested in japan, they show a nice close up of the Ohlins rear shock in action
2022_LEVOOHLINSEDITIONgen3keneda-28+capsule/w
Wow .. that is going to be in BIG demand.
Do you know where I can place a pre-order ?
Not sure about the clearance but motor sounds better.
I watched twice before realising I wasn't watching a sneak preview :unsure:

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Wow .. that is going to be in BIG demand.
Do you know where I can place a pre-order ?
Not sure about the clearance but motor sounds better.
I watched twice before realising I wasn't watching a sneak preview :unsure:
I couldn’t believe it was two wheel drive myself

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles