Premier Boutique Brand hits hard

Timelesswhite

Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
I’m writing this to share my story about a recent purchase of a, 2024 Santa Cruz Heckler RSV 29 XO.

I’ve been a loyal team member of the brand since the 90’s, my very first mountain bike was the original Santa Cruz Heckler (circa 2003). I’ve owned multiple models over the last two decades; the Blur LT, the Nomad, the Bronson and the latest Heckler RSV XO!

Unfortunately this experience of recent has been frustrating to say the least.

Enter the world of Shimano e-bikes and you will witness technological issues; they are no one’s friend!

E914 appeared on my display 5/6/23 on my very 1st ride roughly ten miles in; are you kidding me?! Why?!

My experience with Santa Cruz regarding this issue has not been pleasant. The feeling I get from an initial response is I'm being hung out to dry.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the bike, I still want it and it pains me to have to send it back to the dealer for further diagnostics.

Only time will tell. If it’s meant to be, I’ll have this bike back soon!!

IMG_0958.jpeg IMG_0939.jpeg IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0995.png

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
From the shimano website

E914

Indication conditions​

An abnormality was detected between the drive unit and the battery.

Operational restrictions being displayed​

Assist will not be provided when riding.

Remedy​

1. Clean the connection terminal of the battery mount and reconnect the battery.
  2. If the situation does not improve after performing the procedure in step 1, stop use and contact your place of purchase.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Also FWIW if that was me I would be dropping it back at the dealer and requesting a new model or a full refund.

You pay PREMIUM prices for Santa Cruz bikes and I would be expecting NOTHING short of the best customer service. You have obviously received nothing but a throw away email from SC. I would be livid

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
FWIW I found another thread on the same issue. @GeorgesEBike sold his Heckler and purchased something decent

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of emtb ownership. You are dealing with a SC dealership but the issue is with the Shimano motor, dealerships don't currently hold stock of replacements and can't just swap it over in this situation.
You would hope this is something that should change in time.

If you can wait I'd drop the bike off at the shop and ask them to get it fixed. If not ask for a refund and buy another bike.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Wherever and whoever you bought it from need to be told that you will inform your credit card company to issue a section 75, they will issue a chargback against the retailer resulting in you receiving a full refund, don't suffer poor service, it's a buyers market.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Sound like a loose battery to me did the not have an issue with that some time ago which stopped them supplying bikes ?

braaten22

Mar 24, 2019
Norway
I guess this is something to do with the Darfon setup, battery/batteryholder.

I have no problems with mine with EP801 and shimanos 630 battery/batteryholder.

Have almost ridden 2000km

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Second 2024 Heckler posted here and both have the same issue with the motor/battery...

Santa Cruz removed the 2024 Heckler from their website, clearly shows that they're having issues with the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles