New Bike Day! Heckler with EP801.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Just picked up another Santa Cruz Heckler this weekend. This is my 4th Heckler and loving this one best.

The new Shimano EP801 does not rattle. The powerband also pulls all the way to redline. Love this motor!

The new SRAM Code Ultimate Stealth brakes are also amazing! The modulation is great! Stopping power great! Love the sleek look and cable routing. Love these brakes!

The new SRAM XO Transmission is also cool. Super smooth shifts!

Super stoked that the fork and shock brands match!

Liking the fact that the price points are starting to drop.

20230409_122646.jpg

Last edited:

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
What's different about the cable routing? No more zip ties in the battery compartment holding the cables in place? Does it have the same flimsy rubber plug for the charging port cover and the usb-c power button?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
What's different about the cable routing? No more zip ties in the battery compartment holding the cables in place? Does it have the same flimsy rubber plug for the charging port cover and the usb-c power button?
The cabling for the brakes are much closer to the bars and frame now. Minor improvement. Still have zip-ties inside the frame holding the cables in place. Same flimsy rubber plug charging port cover but have never had an issue with it. New button but no USB port. I hated the button with the usb port on my last Heckler.

20230409_080649.jpg 20230409_080657.jpg

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Just picked up another Santa Cruz Heckler this weekend. This is my 4th Heckler and loving this one best.

The new Shimano EP801 does not rattle. The powerband also pulls all the way to redline. Love this motor!

The new SRAM Code Ultimate Stealth brakes are also amazing! The modulation is great! Stopping power great! Love the sleek look and cable routing. Love these brakes!

The new SRAM XO Transmission is also cool. Super smooth shifts!

Super stoked that the fork and shock brands match!

Liking the fact that the price points are starting to drop.

View attachment 111204
That is a bad ass bike. If the motor is competitive then this is a serious competitor

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Oh I like that cable routing! Did they just squeeze a couple little plastic mounts in the stem?

I would route the motor wire through that loop as well, and down into the hole on that side. I wonder if I could adapt this to my Heckler...

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Oh I like that cable routing! Did they just squeeze a couple little plastic mounts in the stem?

I would route the motor wire through that loop as well, and down into the hole on that side. I wonder if I could adapt this to my Heckler...
Yeah, there are 2 small plastic cable mounts in the 2 lower bolt holes on the stem. Great idea on running the motor cable with the brake cable and entering the same frame hole. Would totally clean up the look. I wish the motor cable was wireless but this should do.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Nice ride! I see Santa Cruz is still sticking with their display from last yr. vs. an update. Was not expecting an update but thought it might be kinda cool if it would be something new. All the same, great color, great bike~ btw, Sram Transmission is awesome.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Nice ride! I see Santa Cruz is still sticking with their display from last yr. vs. an update. Was not expecting an update but thought it might be kinda cool if it would be something new. All the same, great color, great bike~ btw, Sram Transmission is awesome.
I don't mind the Shimano display. Just wish they would ditch the stupid cable running to it.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
The cabling for the brakes are much closer to the bars and frame now. Minor improvement. Still have zip-ties inside the frame holding the cables in place. Same flimsy rubber plug charging port cover but have never had an issue with it. New button but no USB port. I hated the button with the usb port on my last Heckler.

View attachment 111287 View attachment 111288
Awesome looking bike. Like the cable routing. What brand are those cable stem clamps? Can't seem to find them

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
No longer stoked on the bike. :(

View attachment 111313
Cause of failure
An abnormal condition has been detected between the drive unit and the battery.

Displayed operating restrictions
Support will not be provided while driving.

Remedy
Clean the connector of the battery holder and reconnect the battery.
If the situation does not improve even after step 1, stop use and contact the place of purchase.

JJDABOSS

Mar 15, 2020
USA
Sorry to hear about the code and hope all is resolved soon.

I’m sure it’s personal preference and potentially cost but why not the XX? I’m intrigued by the drop post and Maguras.

Also, can you send a close up pix of the decal lettering? Is it tan in color and is the main color carbon black or dark blue?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV

I’m sure it’s personal preference and potentially cost but why not the XX? I’m intrigued by the drop post and Maguras.

Also, can you send a close up pix of the decal lettering? Is it tan in color and is the main color carbon black or dark blue?
Thank you! Nothing more frustrating than buying a brand new bike that I can't ride.

I already had a AXS dropper post from a previous bike and actually prefer the SRAM Codes over the Magura's and the DT Swiss Hubs over the i9's.

I'm colorblind but told the lettering is pink. :)

20230414_083440.jpg

JJDABOSS

Mar 15, 2020
USA

I’m sure it’s personal preference and potentially cost but why not the XX? I’m intrigued by the drop post and Maguras. I have the

Thank you! Nothing more frustrating than buying a brand new bike that I can't ride.

I already had a AXS dropper post from a previous bike and actually prefer the SRAM Codes over the Magura's and the DT Swiss Hubs over the i9's.

I'm colorblind but told the lettering is pink. :)

View attachment 111567
Much appreciated. The pink may be a deal breaker!

Mind elaborating why you prefer SRAM? I been running RSC w Magura MDR rotors (220F/180R) and Galfer pads for a while with good success. Just thought the MT7s would be a tad better but LBS prefers Codes. I too prefer 350 hubs like the bike silent!

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Well I just stripped the bolt holes in my motor trying to replace the lower battery attachment. This has been the worse new bike experience to date.

Last edited:

EBikewanker

Apr 8, 2023
United States
Well I just stripped the bolt holes in my motor trying to replace the lower battery attachment. This has been the worse new bike experience to date. Bike is now for sale for $6k. Only 35 miles on the bike. New owner will still need to troubleshoot the E914 error code and re-tap the bolt holes on the motor.
Why isn’t the shop taking care of all of this?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV

I’m sure it’s personal preference and potentially cost but why not the XX? I’m intrigued by the drop post and Maguras. I have the

Much appreciated. The pink may be a deal breaker!

Mind elaborating why you prefer SRAM? I been running RSC w Magura MDR rotors (220F/180R) and Galfer pads for a while with good success. Just thought the MT7s would be a tad better but LBS prefers Codes. I too prefer 350 hubs like the bike silent!
I liked the stopping power of the MT7's but had reliability issues with the little metal clips popping out of the levers on a lot of rides. Also tough to set them up perfectly so there is no noise with the rotors hitting the pads.

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Your in the Bay, Get a Trek Rail 9.8 or 9.9. They have shops all over the place in the East Bay, plus Trek customers support is pretty good, any issues drop it off, they solve it and you get your bike back and ready to roll for the weekend, and of course Bosch motor 🚀.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Well I just stripped the bolt holes in my motor trying to replace the lower battery attachment. This has been the worse new bike experience to date. Bike is now for sale for $6k. Only 35 miles on the bike. New owner will still need to troubleshoot the E914 error code and re-tap the bolt holes on the motor.
My bikeshop stripped my motor screw holes to on my previous bike. I fixen them with a helicoil

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Your in the Bay, Get a Trek. They have shops all over the place in the East Bay, plus Trek customers support is pretty good, any issues drop it off, they solve it and you get your bike back and ready to roll for the weekend, and of course Bosch motor 🚀.
Thank you for this! Yes, my next bikes will have a Bosch motor! Right now getting ready to order one of the Crestline bikes. My 2nd bike will most likely be the Trek.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
My bikeshop stripped my motor screw holes to on my previous bike. I fixen them with a helicoil
That totally sucks! I know my current bike is repairable but I simply lost interest in buying a $13k bike last week and not been able to go on 1 ride with it. I'm also selling my 2023 Heckler that I purchased in December. Just want to move forward.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles