New Bike Day! Heckler with EP801.

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Thank you for this! Yes, my next bikes will have a Bosch motor! Right now getting ready to order one of the Crestline bikes. My 2nd bike will most likely be the Trek.
Thank you for this! Yes, my next bikes will have a Bosch motor! Right now getting ready to order one of the Crestline bikes. My 2nd bike will most likely be the Trek.
I have a buddy with a shop, when your ready to pull the trigger PM me and I’ll kick you his number,
AlThank you for this! Yes, my next bikes will have a Bosch motor! Right now getting ready to order one of the Crestline bikes. My 2nd bike will most likely be the Trek.
Not a problem, I’ve felt your pain and frustration in the past.
I got mine Rail 9.8 for $6500 OTD from a buddy out of state in January, I know Trek has the 2022 on sale and it looks like Livermore has a Large in stock.
The only change/upgrade I’ve made so far Is adding the buttercup 170 air spring, axs and HS2 rotors, it was pretty dialed out of the box, just personal upgrade.

3EC428C4-D384-486F-93EC-5141D0A8BE82.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
What’s the size of your frame? 6k is a steal for this bike, I’m interested on it
Large, sorry mines not for sale, & I paid $6500 OTD, I’m in Folsom and they shipped it to me.
if your really interested I can ping my buddy tomorrow when his bike shop opens and see if he has any in stock, if he does I’ll send you his number and you can work a deal.

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
PINK lettering would have nixed that deal for me too plus plus the price tag is nuts. Error code and Stripped motor bolts, that is a bummer man. Sorry to hear you are having all those issues and good luck to you. It will all work out for you I am sure. Looking forward to seeing your next ride.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I would get a Kenevo Expert and never look back as they can be had brand new for $6,200 if not less in the Bay Area. Gen 3 Levo is also amazing but if you can have 180mm front and rear travel on the Kenevo why not? One of the most fun to ride and versatile e-bikes available as can be set up full 29er, mullet, or stock at 27.5. Highly Recommend it. The motor does not knock or clatter like shimano or Bosch. Tight twisty Santa Cruz trails are no problem with the dual crown uphill or down and it’s so stable on steep chunky trails. On my old Gen 2 Levo that I had since 2020 I had one motor issue and it was replaced by ABS in less than 24 hours no questions asked. Brilliant! The new motors from Specialized they use in the Gen 3 Levo and full fat Kenevo Expert are pretty much bomb proof and have an amazing warranty just in case.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I would get a Kenevo Expert and never look back as they can be had brand new for $6,200 if not less in the Bay Area. Gen 3 Levo is also amazing but if you can have 180mm front and rear travel on the Kenevo why not? One of the most fun to ride and versatile e-bikes available as can be set up full 29er, mullet, or stock at 27.5. Highly Recommend it. The motor does not knock or clatter like shimano or Bosch. Tight twisty Santa Cruz trails are no problem with the dual crown uphill or down and it’s so stable on steep chunky trails. On my old Gen 2 Levo that I had since 2020 I had one motor issue and it was replaced by ABS in less than 24 hours no questions asked. Brilliant! The new motors from Specialized they use in the Gen 3 Levo and full fat Kenevo Expert are pretty much bomb proof and have an amazing warranty just in case.
I had a 2022 Kenevo Expert and loved it!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Just picked up another Santa Cruz Heckler this weekend. This is my 4th Heckler and loving this one best.

The new Shimano EP801 does not rattle. The powerband also pulls all the way to redline. Love this motor!

The new SRAM Code Ultimate Stealth brakes are also amazing! The modulation is great! Stopping power great! Love the sleek look and cable routing. Love these brakes!

The new SRAM XO Transmission is also cool. Super smooth shifts!

Super stoked that the fork and shock brands match!

Liking the fact that the price points are starting to drop.

View attachment 111204
So apart from the lack of rattle and fine tune you've gone for Sram instead of Shimano Di2 for which the motor was primarily developed for auto shift with manual overdrive which runs off the main battery. 🤔

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I would suggest the new just released SRAM drivetrain but it is incredibly expensive. On my Kenevo and on my gen 2 Levo I run a “Sramano” set up..lol. I had the 12 speed shimano chain and 12 speed shimano cassette with SRAM AXS rear derailleur and shifting was best of both worlds. Could shift under load much better than the older SRAM system due to hyper glide plus technology on the shimano chain and cassette. Now with the newer SRAM kit just released I think SRAM addressed their shortcomings with shifting under load and longevity as compared to the shimano hyper glide plus technology.

I’m sure Rob can shed more light on this as I have seen his reviews on the new SRAM system and it appears to be superior to Shimano now. I have yet to try it but it does look promising.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Just noticed that my most recent Heckler was my 13th e-bike. Wondering if that had anything to do with the bad luck, lol.

2018 Specialized S-Works Levo #1
2019 Specialized Carbon Comp Levo
2018 Specialized S-Works Levo #2
2020 Specialized S-Works Levo
2020 YT Decoy Pro Race 29er
2022 Specialized S-Works Levo #1
2022 Specialized Expert Kenevo
2021 Santa Cruz Heckler MX XO1 Reserve
2022 Specialized S-Works Levo #2
2022 Santa Cruz Bullit MX XO1 AXS Reserve
2022 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 AXS Reserve
2023 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 AXS Reserve #1
2023 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X0 AXS Reserve #2
2023 Crestline RS 50/75

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I would suggest the new just released SRAM drivetrain but it is incredibly expensive. On my Kenevo and on my gen 2 Levo I run a “Sramano” set up..lol. I had the 12 speed shimano chain and 12 speed shimano cassette with SRAM AXS rear derailleur and shifting was best of both worlds. Could shift under load much better than the older SRAM system due to hyper glide plus technology on the shimano chain and cassette. Now with the newer SRAM kit just released I think SRAM addressed their shortcomings with shifting under load and longevity as compared to the shimano hyper glide plus technology.

I’m sure Rob can shed more light on this as I have seen his reviews on the new SRAM system and it appears to be superior to Shimano now. I have yet to try it but it does look promising.
I just had the brand new SRAM transmission on my last bike. It's nice but I would never pay money to upgrade from an AXS.

Mark F

Jan 28, 2023
Sheffield
The cabling for the brakes are much closer to the bars and frame now. Minor improvement. Still have zip-ties inside the frame holding the cables in place. Same flimsy rubber plug charging port cover but have never had an issue with it. New button but no USB port. I hated the button with the usb port on my last Heckler.

View attachment 111287 View attachment 111288
That’s some garage you have mate it’s cleaner than my kitchen 😂

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I just had the brand new SRAM transmission on my last bike. It's nice but I would never pay money to upgrade from an AXS.
You have had quite a lot of e-bikes including the Kenevo Expert I mentioned earlier. Have you not found your ideal e-bike geometry yet or just searching for a certain ride feel or feature that the previous bikes have not been able to provide?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
You have had quite a lot of e-bikes including the Kenevo Expert I mentioned earlier. Have you not found your ideal e-bike geometry yet or just searching for a certain ride feel or feature that the previous bikes have not been able to provide?
I actually like all of my bikes when they are new and working. I ride 300+ days a year and always like having a 2nd backup bike. I'm 6ft 1in tall/140lbs and think the S5 Levo is the best geometry out. The XL Santa Cruz Bullit/Heckler second. Tired of all the Brose and Shimano issues so wanting to Bosch now.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Well I just stripped the bolt holes in my motor trying to replace the lower battery attachment. This has been the worse new bike experience to date. Bike is now for sale for $6k. Only 35 miles on the bike. New owner will still need to troubleshoot the E914 error code and re-tap the bolt holes on the motor.
Sounds like you've been the architect of the bikes ultimate failure, why work on a warranty issue when the liability lies with the place of purchase, personally I would have implemented a section 75 with my credit card company, goods not fit for purpose resulting in a refund or the retailer is compelled to repair / replace your bike.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Sounds like you've been the architect of the bikes ultimate failure, why work on a warranty issue when the liability lies with the place of purchase, personally I would have implemented a section 75 with my credit card company, goods not fit for purpose resulting in a refund or the retailer is compelled to repair / replace your bike.
I agree that having the option to return the bike would have provided the best service/outcome. I take full responsibility for stripping the motor bolt holes. I know I should have not had to deal with that in the 1st place though. At the end of day it was less painful for me to sell the bike at a lost and move forward. I woke up happy today not having to deal with that bike. I have 2 other friends that purchased the same bike and are having the same exact issues on the first ride. Excited to try something new!

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
I’ve had the Crestline 7550 for a few weeks now.
Best bike I’ve ever ridden.. including my CC Nomad 6 and Sworks Levo gen 3.
You made the right choice.
The suspension,geometry,kinematics and Bosch race are so dialed in.
It makes the Levo feel like a toy in comparison.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I’ve had the Crestline 7550 for a few weeks now.
Best bike I’ve ever ridden.. including my CC Nomad 6 and Sworks Levo gen 3.
You made the right choice.
The suspension,geometry,kinematics and Bosch race are so dialed in.
It makes the Levo feel like a toy in comparison.
Thank you for this! Very excited to ride it hopefully next week. Might end up making it 170mm/170mm.

Jeremybub

Jan 17, 2021
California
Just noticed that my most recent Heckler was my 13th e-bike. Wondering if that had anything to do with the bad luck, lol.

2018 Specialized S-Works Levo #1
2019 Specialized Carbon Comp Levo
2018 Specialized S-Works Levo #2
2020 Specialized S-Works Levo
2020 YT Decoy Pro Race 29er
2022 Specialized S-Works Levo #1
2022 Specialized Expert Kenevo
2021 Santa Cruz Heckler MX XO1 Reserve
2022 Specialized S-Works Levo #2
2022 Santa Cruz Bullit MX XO1 AXS Reserve
2022 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 AXS Reserve
2023 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 AXS Reserve #1
2023 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X0 AXS Reserve #2
2023 Crestline RS 50/75
You’re definitely on to something, I just noticed I set most of my KOM and PR’s on my 7th and 13th EMTB, still have the 13th still setting KOM.

IMG_6255.jpeg

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
That escalated quickly lol.

Heckler/Bullit are awesome bikes and are even better with the new build kits (XX/XO & RS forks), but I wish they would spec another motor.

Shimano is just straight up bad right now, worse reliability of the industry, battery sizes are below average and the integration is not ideal.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
That escalated quickly lol.

Heckler/Bullit are awesome bikes and are even better with the new build kits (XX/XO & RS forks), but I wish they would spec another motor.

Shimano is just straight up bad right now, worse reliability of the industry, battery sizes are below average and the integration is not ideal.
Agreed 100%

DNE87

Oct 4, 2022
UK
The EP801 is actually a very good motor now, a big refinement over the EP8, however it seems they're having major compatibility problems with the Darfon batteries, that's what's causing the errors. SC have pulled all new Hecklers for the moment.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Oh I like that cable routing! Did they just squeeze a couple little plastic mounts in the stem?

I would route the motor wire through that loop as well, and down into the hole on that side. I wonder if I could adapt this to my Heckler...
The brake master cylinder/lever ass’y is redesigned to route the cable towards the bar, so the little clamps are just part of the change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles