Tire brand & size for 2020 Heckler.

Aug 2, 2021
Western Colorado
Hi all,
I really like the 27.5x2.6 tire size on my 2020 Heckler.
I am OK with the DHR II front & rear and wore through the rear at 760 mi., put the front on the rear and installed a 2.6 DHF on the front.
This combo worked very well.
Now, at 1490 mi., I've installed a DHR II 27.5x2.8 on the rear and a Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x2.8 on the front on stock 30mm rims. The Surly is almost a moto tire!
I run these tires at 22 psi rear and 16 psi front, so far so good!
I weigh 170 lbs ready to ride in Western Colorado and not a crazy fast rider, no flats!
Any of you have input on tire swaps?

MXLNK

May 19, 2021
Germoney
Wouldn't want anything wider than the 2.6 in the back. Didn't like the DHR II in the Front. Grip was non existent. So i wenn for an assegai 2.5 maxxgrip. Pretty Happy with that combo

Aug 2, 2021
Western Colorado
2200 plus miles on the Heckler and the flimsy Dirt Wizard is gone!
Replaced with DH R II.
When the DH F/DH R combo is done, Assagai front and ? go on.
Both 27.5 x 2.6.
The 2.8's are just a bit too vague handling.
Thanks for any input and suggestions for a rear tire in Western Colorado.

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
I ran 2 sets front/rear of DHR II before moving to a DHF front. The DHF front quickened the steering quite a bit so its there for now with the DHR II rear. Stayed with 2.6" F/R. Have an assagai 2.5" on my 2022 heckler now and it seems to be better all around grip wise so maybe its worth considering for your next combo.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
When the DH F/DH R combo is done, Assagai front and ? go on.

Both 27.5 x 2.6.

Thanks for any input and suggestions for a rear tire in Western Colorado.

I ride a 2021 MX, but I think ours are essentially the same bike. I ran 2.8's for the longest time, and they were a lot of fun. I gradually started going skinnier and skinnier, and have settled on 2.5 and 2.4. I find that they handle great, and they stick when I stuff 'em into the ground. For me, it's a good combo.

I'm a FIRM believer in the Assegai up front. I'm not interested in anything else. I was running Dissector Maxx Terra's out back, but I'd barely get over 400 miles on them. I recently switched to DHR II's, and my mileage isn't any better. MAYBE they handle a little better.

So my only firm suggestion is go with the Assegai up front. There's a lot to like about it.

Aug 2, 2021
Western Colorado
Thanks for all the advice.
Hey Rusty, I'm considering converting to MX on my 2020 Heckler. Any negatives with your set-up?
Anyone else have experience with this conversion?
It will be a bit on the costly side at $650 but, is it worth it?
I will need a fork, wheel and tire!
Assagai is now available in 2.6 so, when the DH F dies, I'll give one a try.
Any input will be appreciated.
Kirk

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles