Post Up your Decoy Upgrades with Reviews

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
I'm in Canada and got mine from Merlin Cycles. Also had Nobl wheels on my last bike - the guys there are local to me.

You'll really like the Cushcore with this bike. It's a suspension upgrade. Where in Canada are you? There's not too many places in Canada you can still ride this time of year.

Thanks @leftside - I'm in Calgary. The team at Nobl are great. Was debating between those and We Are One to try something different, but since I was a repeat customer at Nobl I got a bit of a price break which made the decision easy (expensive sport right!). That must mean you are in Fraser Valley - Courtenay?

Only ever tried riding a buddy's bike with Cushcore once and it was around a parking lot so that does not count. Looking forward to trying it out.

No eMTB for me right now although I just got back from an awesome ride on my analog fat bike. I love being able to ride in the winter here with those fat studded tires. Plus it was a sunny +5C today which made it even better! That said, can't wait for the melt to get out on the e-bike.

Thanks for the idea on Merlin Cycles. Hadn't thought of that - will check it out to see what the cost would be.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks @leftside - I'm in Calgary. The team at Nobl are great. Was debating between those and We Are One to try something different, but since I was a repeat customer at Nobl I got a bit of a price break which made the decision easy (expensive sport right!). That must mean you are in Fraser Valley - Courtenay?

Only ever tried riding a buddy's bike with Cushcore once and it was around a parking lot so that does not count. Looking forward to trying it out.

No eMTB for me right now although I just got back from an awesome ride on my analog fat bike. I love being able to ride in the winter here with those fat studded tires. Plus it was a sunny +5C today which made it even better! That said, can't wait for the melt to get out on the e-bike.

Thanks for the idea on Merlin Cycles. Hadn't thought of that - will check it out to see what the cost would be.
I'm in Vancouver. I ride the Fraser Valley and have also been out to Courtenay a couple of times to ride Forbidden. You'll really notice the Cushcore on rocky/rowdy trails.

If you're ever out this way once Covid is over feel free to give me a shout.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
I'm in Vancouver. I ride the Fraser Valley and have also been out to Courtenay a couple of times to ride Forbidden. You'll really notice the Cushcore on rocky/rowdy trails.

If you're ever out this way once Covid is over feel free to give me a shout.
Will do - appreciate that! Hoping to ride Whistler Bike Park again this summer so hopefully COVID settles down!

Typhoon33

Jan 27, 2021
Pacific
Here's my Decoy Shred that I've had for a few weeks now. In general the bike has been awesome, just a few tweaks at the contact points to make it fit and feel better. Changes so far:

Chromag Trailmaster Saddle
Chromag 35mm Carbon Bars
Rock Shox Zeb Fork

I've always been a Fox fan so I was excited about the 38 that the Shred came with but no matter how much I messed with the settings it seemed harsh. Ive been reading about how plush the Zeb is compared to the 38 and figured I would give it a try. Very happy with the result as its clearly plusher and it saved some weight as well. Looking at getting a new lightweight 550# spring for the shock and that should do it for a while. Loving the bike so far!

decoy.jpg

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
I'm in Canada and got mine from Merlin Cycles. Also had Nobl wheels on my last bike - the guys there are local to me.

You'll really like the Cushcore with this bike. It's a suspension upgrade. Where in Canada are you? There's not too many places in Canada you can still ride this time of year.
@Singletrackmind and @leftside Just ordered the E-Wild's (front and rear) from Merlin Cycles. Excited to get them and add them to the upgrade list!

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Just installed new wheels from Light Bicycle, carbon rims and Onyx hubs. The silent clutch drive mechanism is totally silent.
Added the new sram paddle shifter to the axs shifter.
The cassette was a little tricky to install, screwed an old one on first and that seemed to assist the new one screwing in to place.
1849464C-C44A-4C10-9300-20CE595B825C.jpeg
FED1F091-9C43-465D-BA0D-9F8AACE5FFCD.jpeg
1EEE9ED0-3914-468E-A0E4-5256591D2E0A.jpeg

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Decoy Shred in medium came in and it has been an awesome couple of weeks setting it up (taking my time!). Have done a few upgrades so far. Here is what I have changed out:

Completed Upgrades:
  • Race Face Turbine R 35 Stem Orange, 50mm Length
  • OneUp Carbon Handlebar 20mm rise
  • Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Remote
  • K-edge Gravity Garmin top-cap mount
  • OneUp Aluminum Pedals
  • Shimano Saint front and rear
  • Ergon MTB Gravity Grip
  • RideWrap (but I did a shite job on it - I am not patient enough for that type of work!)
To Be Completed (ordered and/or just waiting to be installed):
  • Nobl TR41 mullet wheelset with Industry Nine 1/1 hubs (can't wait to get these on)
  • 203mm Ice-Tech rotors
  • Cushcore front and rear inserts
  • Tubeless setup
Will also probably change the tires, but only once I wear the current ones down.

View attachment 51637 View attachment 51638
Had some of the planned upgrades arrive today:
  • Nobl TR41 mullet wheelset with Industry Nine 1/1 hubs
  • Michelin E-Wild tires
Oh and not a bike upgrade, but a safety upgrade I bought a Smith Mainline helmet with Smith goggles with their Chromapop lens. Helmet feels super secure and safe, and the lens on the goggles are actually some of the best I have seen. Everything looks extremely clear and the contrast is amazing.

Will post a shot of the wheels and tires on when I get them done - once it warms up a bit!

20210219_225604413_iOS.jpg
20210219_225618145_iOS.jpg
20210219_225624978_iOS.jpg
20210219_225855121_iOS.jpg
20210219_230108762_iOS.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Had some of the planned upgrades arrive today:
  • Nobl TR41 mullet wheelset with Industry Nine 1/1 hubs
  • Michelin E-Wild tires
Oh and not a bike upgrade, but a safety upgrade I bought a Smith Mainline helmet with Smith goggles with their Chromapop lens. Helmet feels super secure and safe, and the lens on the goggles are actually some of the best I have seen. Everything looks extremely clear and the contrast is amazing.

Will post a shot of the wheels and tires on when I get them done - once it warms up a bit!

View attachment 53536 View attachment 53537 View attachment 53538 View attachment 53539 View attachment 53540
That's quite the coincidence. I ordered the TR41 rims and also the Industry Nine 1/1 hubs (Shimano HG freehub as I have a Shimano cassette). The only difference being I went for the red decals. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks. I also had NOBL rims on my Capra and they were a big reason why I went with NOBL again. I have the E-Wild 2.6 on the rear.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
That's quite the coincidence. I ordered the TR41 rims and also the Industry Nine 1/1 hubs (Shimano HG freehub as I have a Shimano cassette). The only difference being I went for the red decals. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks. I also had NOBL rims on my Capra and they were a big reason why I went with NOBL again. I have the E-Wild 2.6 on the rear.
That's awesome - the red decals look amazing on the site. I'll tell you what, actually holding the wheels it is amazing how good they feel - super sturdy but wickedly light. I can't wait to install them Are you going to run cushcore or another insert with the E-Wilds?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That's awesome - the red decals look amazing on the site. I'll tell you what, actually holding the wheels it is amazing how good they feel - super sturdy but wickedly light. I can't wait to install them Are you going to run cushcore or another insert with the E-Wilds?
Already running cushcore and will reuse again. Tire inserts, and in my case cushcore, have been the best upgrade for the bike. Feels like improved suspension and better traction in the wet. Was running Kenda Hellkat Pro AGC 27.5+, and I really liked those as well but I destroyed them. Have another set that I will install again when I destroy the ewild.

Also ordered a Push Industries 11.6 rear shock from Suspension Werx here in Vancouver. Heck - cheaper than a new bike :) And I'll also be able to transfer the NOBL rims and 11.6 to a later bike. That's how I'm reasoning the expense anyway :)

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Already running cushcore and will reuse again. Tire inserts, and in my case cushcore, have been the best upgrade for the bike. Feels like improved suspension and better traction in the wet. Was running Kenda Hellkat Pro AGC 27.5+, and I really liked those as well but I destroyed them. Have another set that I will install again when I destroy the ewild.

Also ordered a Push Industries 11.6 rear shock from Suspension Werx here in Vancouver. Heck - cheaper than a new bike :) And I'll also be able to transfer the NOBL rims and 11.6 to a later bike. That's how I'm reasoning the expense anyway :)
Right sorry forgot you mentioned you ran cushcore in an earlier post! Can't wait. I plan to keep these rims for awhile and the lifetime warranty was a deciding factor - full replacement if they break while riding (only pay shipping costs). I have not told my wife how much these cost :oops:

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Tried to install Cushcore on the new rims and with the new tires today. Started working on the front and said F-IT, I'll pay to have these installed. Rather give the guys at my local MTB service shop the $80 to do it, and let them wreck their hands (and hopefully not the rims and tires). Man that is a tough job to get those installed - even with all the tips on YouTube. The spacing and tolerance is so tight. I am sure if I had more patience I could have done it, but I'll leave it to the professionals.

While dropping them off - and to redeem my mechanical abilities - I ended up buying Fox bleeder valves and a Fox mud guard and put those on. While I was at it I swapped the stock spacer with a Wheels Mtg carbon spacer I had lying around. I am pretty sure that is going to make all the difference as I think I cut about 0.5 grams off of the bikes weight :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The fox mud guard is really nice and goes on really easily and the fit is perfect. They attach using the new bleeders which you can see installed.

20210220_185738411_iOS.jpg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Tried to install Cushcore on the new rims and with the new tires today. Started working on the front and said F-IT, I'll pay to have these installed. Rather give the guys at my local MTB service shop the $80 to do it, and let them wreck their hands (and hopefully not the rims and tires). Man that is a tough job to get those installed - even with all the tips on YouTube. The spacing and tolerance is so tight. I am sure if I had more patience I could have done it, but I'll leave it to the professionals.

While dropping them off - and to redeem my mechanical abilities - I ended up buying Fox bleeder valves and a Fox mud guard and put those on. While I was at it I swapped the stock spacer with a Wheels Mtg carbon spacer I had lying around. I am pretty sure that is going to make all the difference as I think I cut about 0.5 grams off of the bikes weight :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The fox mud guard is really nice and goes on really easily and the fit is perfect. They attach using the new bleeders which you can see installed.

View attachment 53672
I have a local bike store literally around the corner from me. They usually work on "regular" bikes, but all the mechanics are mountain bikers and love it when I bring my bike in. Apart from when I ask them to fix wheels/reinstall cush core haha.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I must've gotten lucky because the CC installation with the Mitchy eWilds was a piece of cake....no, seriously. Followed CCs video and it was litteraly a piece of piss. I thought it was going to be a struggle but was pleasantly surprised (and that was with the plus sized insert in the rear!).

Having said that, wouldn't want to have to remove and install tube trailside if I got a puncture. Bought the Stans Dart Tool but hopefully will take up permanent residence in my Camelback and not ever have to see the light of day!

Cheers

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I must've gotten lucky because the CC installation with the Mitchy eWilds was a piece of cake....no, seriously. Followed CCs video and it was litteraly a piece of piss. I thought it was going to be a struggle but was pleasantly surprised (and that was with the plus sized insert in the rear!).

Having said that, wouldn't want to have to remove and install tube trailside if I got a puncture. Bought the Stans Dart Tool but hopefully will take up permanent residence in my Camelback and not ever have to see the light of day!

Cheers
I wonder if the rims make a difference? I remember my previous NOBL rims made it difficult to even get on and off a regular Minion - even without cush core.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
I wonder if the rims make a difference? I remember my previous NOBL rims made it difficult to even get on and off a regular Minion - even without cush core.
Yeah I was thinking that as well - perhaps the rims do make a difference? Not sure.

@leftside awesome you were able to get them on. I admit I gave up rather early :coffee: .

I am impressed how sturdy the eWilds are - they seem really well made and durable. I was actually thinking that with the beefiness of those tires that could have been a factor in the tough install? Anyway, the shop said I might get them back tomorrow so will post a pic with them all mounted when I get them back.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Hi,
I've changed:-
Riser stem to get the bars 25mm higher.
Ohlins shock, I weigh 102 kgs.
Eddy Current rear tyre.
Tubeless front and rear.
Old inner tube to protect the dropper.

View attachment 45980

The Eddy Current is great. Extremely hard to get on the carbon rim only using your hands, but it does go on.

View attachment 45981 View attachment 45983

Hello, bike looking great.

Im about to try out coil as well as I am quite heavy too. My riding weight is around 94kg, would you suggest 500lbs spring? How is the 525 for you?

Cheers

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
^^win win ?

Put my 160 miranda cranks on. Ez install, no spacers. Sooo careful though now. Normally id just thow on cranks and pedals and be done. I 2nd guessed every step and made triple sure i wasnt cross threading or under/over torquing. The state of availibilty and shipping from spain adds to the process. Zero problems though.
Also recieved my reverse components -.5 degree headset race/spacer. That together with the -1 degree works components headset ive had will allow me to ditch the knock block headset and have the fork crown clear the downtube and slacken the ha -1.5 degrees in total. That should put the ha about the same as my meta am29. Wish my decoy was a large then the reach would be similar as well

20210425_172947.jpg

20210425_172934.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
^^win win ?

Put my 160 miranda cranks on. Ez install, no spacers. Sooo careful though now. Normally id just thow on cranks and pedals and be done. I 2nd guessed every step and made triple sure i wasnt cross threading or under/over torquing. The state of availibilty and shipping from spain adds to the process. Zero problems though.
Also recieved my reverse components -.5 degree headset race/spacer. That together with the -1 degree works components headset ive had will allow me to ditch the knock block headset and have the fork crown clear the downtube and slacken the ha -1.5 degrees in total. That should put the ha about the same as my meta am29. Wish my decoy was a large then the reach would be similar as well

View attachment 59899

View attachment 59900
Just to update in case you're considering a works headset and/or the reverse components angle spacer/race. Doesnt look like the angle spacer works in conjunction with the works headset. The race on the works headset is recessed all around the actual race that fits together with the headset bearing so it doesnt bind when turning, because the race is angled to compensate for the off center top cup of the headset. I tried the reverse components with it and it was binding as the bars were turning.
With the works components -1 degree headset the yari crown clears the downtube apart from a very slight rub from the compression adjuster rubbing on the rubber bumper attached to the underside of the downtube. I bet a -1.5 or -2 degree works headset would be enough to fully clear the underside rubber bumper.
What a struggle. Couldnt figure where the binding was coming from.
Now to swap my fox 38 on after a few rides. Hope that 38 crown clears

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Just to update in case you're considering a works headset and/or the reverse components angle spacer/race. Doesnt look like the angle spacer works in conjunction with the works headset. The race on the works headset is recessed all around the actual race that fits together with the headset bearing so it doesnt bind when turning, because the race is angled to compensate for the off center top cup of the headset. I tried the reverse components with it and it was binding as the bars were turning.
With the works components -1 degree headset the yari crown clears the downtube apart from a very slight rub from the compression adjuster rubbing on the rubber bumper attached to the underside of the downtube. I bet a -1.5 or -2 degree works headset would be enough to fully clear the underside rubber bumper.
What a struggle. Couldnt figure where the binding was coming from.
Now to swap my fox 38 on after a few rides. Hope that 38 crown clears
Hope you get the 38 on. I'm very happy with that upgrade.

IMG_6203.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles