Post Up your Decoy Upgrades with Reviews

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Bought mine used, so it came with some upgrades:
- Magura MT7 brakes, 223mm discs front and back, if I'm not mistaken – these brakes are awesome, much better than the brakes on other ebikes I've tested
- Lyrik Ultimate 170mm in the front – probably too fancy for me, not sure, at least it should be enough for my rides
- pedals, shiny golden, not sure what brand – seem to be working well and taking the many hits well (still learning the pedaling tempo here)
- grips are upgraded, I think – they match the lava red colour of my bike pretty well, I'm accustomed to a bit fatter grips, but no issues with these grips

What I had to buy after the first proper test ride:
- front flap mudguard – still amazes me how a little flap can prevent so much splatter, highly recommended!
- short rear mudguard (mucky nutz mugguard, just installed it to the back) – some rocks, sticks and sand can cause some noise because this isn't super securely installed with zip ties, I used the velcro tape that came with the fender, it's amazing how much splatter this blocks, highly recommended!
- ass saver (lost this one during my first long ride, but seems like it's not 100% needed after all) – I though it could handle a little down hill or rougher trails, I guess I was wrong, but it was only 7 euros so whateva

Still need to buy a proper head lamp to be able to drive in pitch black, and maybe spike tires for riding on ice & snow. I will be replacing the rear shock once it breaks. Hopefully not very soon. :D
Maybe post a pic some day? Soinds like a good build

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Finished with the upgrades and installation of Ridewrap. Upgrades tires, bars, stem, dropper, saddle & grips. 1st ride tomorrow!

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

2021 YT Decoy Elite

FRAMESET

Virtual 4-Link rear suspension

Mixed ("Mullet") wheels: 29" front, 27.5" rear

Internal cable routing.

CRANKSET

SHIMANO XT

FCM 8050 | 165 mm

WHEELSET

CRANKBROTHERS SYNTHESIS E11

Front 29“ x 31.5 mm 110 x 15 mm

Rear 27,5‘‘ x 35.5 mm 148 x 12 mm

HUBS

Industry Nine 1/1, 110x15mm Boost front, 148x12mm Boost rear with MICRO SPLINE driver

FORK

FOX 38 FLOAT FACTORY E-BIKE

29“ | 170 mm | 15QRx110 | 51 mm Rake | Grip2

REAR DERAILLEUR

SHIMANO XT

Shadow Plus | 12 - Speed

Shifter

SHIMANO XT 12 - Speed

SHOCK

FOX FLOAT X2 FACTORY

230 x 65mm | w/2-Pos Lever

MOTOR

SHIMANO E8000 70 NM 250 W

DISPLAY

SHIMANO E7000 Monochrome

BATTERY

SMP YT CUSTOM Removable 540 Wh 36 V

STEM

Deity Copperhead 31.8MM x 50mm

CASSETTE

SHIMANO XT 10 - 51T | 12 - Speed

CHAIN

Shimano XT

CHAINGUIDE

E13 TRS PLUS E8000 2 Bolt 34-38T Compact Slider

HEADSET

ACROS AZX-260 BLOCK LOCK High Cap

BRAKES

SRAM CODE RSC

Rotors CENTERLINE 220mm/220mm

CHAINRING

SHIMANO SMCRE80 | 36 T

WEIGHT

50.48 LB

SEATPOST

Rockshox Reverb AXS

Ø 31.6 mm 150 mm travel

HANDLEBAR

SQ Lab Carbon, 4-degree upsweep, 12 degrees backsweep, 45mm rise, 780mm, 31.8mm diameter

SADDLE

Ergon SM Enduro Comp Stealth

GRIPS

ODI ELITE Lock-On

FRAME SIZE

Large

COLOR

DARK SLATE

SWITCH

SHIMANO E7000

On-Bar | SWE7000L

WHEELSET

29“ x 31.5 mm 110 x 15 mm

27.5‘‘ x 35.5 mm 148 x 12 mm

FRONT TIRE

Michelin E-Wild

29“ x 2.6

REAR TIRE

Michelin E-Wild

27.5“ x 2.6

20201114_142611.jpg

20201114_142629.jpg

20201114_142706.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
How do you like those E-Wilds? They look good, that's for sure! Good looking set up.

I have some pictures on another thread if you're interested. I think it's in the "show your bike" thread.
I haven't had a chance to ride them on a variety of trails. They do roll pretty fast and corner awesome! Need a few more rides to form an opinion.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
My latest upgrade to my Decoy was I bought a 2021 Commencal. Lol. Hoping the EP8 and bigger battery are going to be worth it.

C8B04F25-B6C2-4EB0-877A-8F1813342418.jpeg

Sam233

Jul 19, 2020
Germany
A commencal bike in a decoy thread? Do you m
Finished with the upgrades and installation of Ridewrap. Upgrades tires, bars, stem, dropper, saddle & grips. 1st ride tomorrow!

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

2021 YT Decoy Elite

FRAMESET

Virtual 4-Link rear suspension

Mixed ("Mullet") wheels: 29" front, 27.5" rear

Internal cable routing.

CRANKSET

SHIMANO XT

FCM 8050 | 165 mm

WHEELSET

Front 29“ x 31.5 mm 110 x 15 mm

Rear 27,5‘‘ x 35.5 mm 148 x 12 mm

HUBS

Industry Nine 1/1, 110x15mm Boost front, 148x12mm Boost rear with MICRO SPLINE driver

FORK

FOX 38 FLOAT FACTORY E-BIKE

29“ | 170 mm | 15QRx110 | 51 mm Rake | Grip2

REAR DERAILLEUR

SHIMANO XT

Shadow Plus | 12 - Speed

Shifter

SHIMANO XT 12 - Speed

SHOCK

FOX FLOAT X2 FACTORY

230 x 65mm | w/2-Pos Lever

MOTOR

SHIMANO E8000 70 NM 250 W

DISPLAY

SHIMANO E7000 Monochrome

BATTERY

SMP YT CUSTOM Removable 540 Wh 36 V

STEM

Deity Copperhead 31.8MM x 50mm

CASSETTE

SHIMANO XT 10 - 51T | 12 - Speed

CHAIN

Shimano XT

CHAINGUIDE

E13 TRS PLUS E8000 2 Bolt 34-38T Compact Slider

HEADSET

ACROS AZX-260 BLOCK LOCK High Cap

BRAKES

SRAM CODE RSC

Rotors CENTERLINE 220mm/220mm

CHAINRING

SHIMANO SMCRE80 | 36 T

WEIGHT

50.48 LB

SEATPOST

Rockshox Reverb AXS

Ø 31.6 mm 150 mm travel

HANDLEBAR

SQ Lab Carbon, 4-degree upsweep, 12 degrees backsweep, 45mm rise, 780mm, 31.8mm diameter

SADDLE

Ergon SM Enduro Comp Stealth

GRIPS

ODI ELITE Lock-On

FRAME SIZE

Large

COLOR

DARK SLATE

SWITCH

SHIMANO E7000

On-Bar | SWE7000L

WHEELSET

29“ x 31.5 mm 110 x 15 mm

27.5‘‘ x 35.5 mm 148 x 12 mm

FRONT TIRE

Michelin E-Wild

29“ x 2.6

REAR TIRE

Michelin E-Wild

27.5“ x 2.6

View attachment 44455

View attachment 44456

View attachment 44457
This bike is a beauty

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Hi,
I've changed:-
Riser stem to get the bars 25mm higher.
Ohlins shock, I weigh 102 kgs.
Eddy Current rear tyre.
Tubeless front and rear.
Old inner tube to protect the dropper.

20201130_084656.jpg

The Eddy Current is great. Extremely hard to get on the carbon rim only using your hands, but it does go on.

20201130_084746.jpg
20201130_084816.jpg

Jessiejames1108

Nov 3, 2020
Sonoma, Ca
More upgrades.
Dpx2. Nothing exciting since the pro 29 already comes stock with this shock, but should help a lot for the base model. Factory/Elite models are unnecessary according to a knowledgeable person at fox, since the shock works best in this “setting” anyways.
View attachment 30454
I upgraded to the same dpx2 (purchased from a Pro decoy take off) but I couldn't fit the white fox bushings, had to go buy the metal DU bushing like what was in the Rockshox I took off. Looks like you didn't have a problem with your from the picture, did you?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I upgraded to the same dpx2 (purchased from a Pro decoy take off) but I couldn't fit the white fox bushings, had to go buy the metal DU bushing like what was in the Rockshox I took off. Looks like you didn't have a problem with your from the picture, did you?
I had to order the fox mounting hardware kit as my shock was a take-off from a different bike so the sizes did not match. No issues with install.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
After riding for about a month now, been able to ride a wide array of trails. VERY impressed with my custom Decoy Elite! The Michelin E-Wild's are a perfect match for this Enduro/DH slayer! Not the best for climbing, but this bike was designed for descending! The mullet setup really does offer the best of both worlds. Spend a lot of time and effort dialing the suspension in and could not be happier with how well it absorbs the big hits yet has small bump compliance as well. Absolutely no mechanical issues with components, battery or motor (unlike my Specialized Levo).

Only thing I really found lagging was the SRAM Code RSC brakes. No comparison to the stopping power of the Magura MT7's on my Spesh Levo S-Works. Understand brakes are kinda like saddles and grip in that personal preference is in the eye of the beholder. Based on some input I received from the owner of the LBS that installed the Ridewrap on this bad boy, decided to go with a Frankenstein Shigura brake set-up (Shimano Saint levers and Magura MT7 calipers). Was fortunate to find Saint levers after scouring the internet. Magura brakes are very easy to come by, guess because everyone complains about what a pain in the arse they are to bleed. Will post more info after I get some rides logged.

Helajames

Dec 17, 2020
San Diego CA
A few of you are talking about mods to the internals of the base Yari fork. Where can I find more information on what this is and how to do it?

thanks

jim

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
A few of you are talking about mods to the internals of the base Yari fork. Where can I find more information on what this is and how to do it?

thanks

jim
NOt sure there is a special topic for this. In short you change the airspring and demper with a Debonair upgrade kit Lyrik (170mm) and a Charger 2.1 RC2. You can choose a the length of the airspring, but this will have an effect on your geometry. Longer than design airspring can be mitigated by flipping the chip to the high position if needed.... You are basically transforming the Yari fork to a Lyrik :)

You''ll get (based on my experience): much better sensitivity, more travel and slightly better geometry going down

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US

thanks

jim
Rockshox Lyrik and Yari

I have this on two different bikes. It does an amazing job giving you support yet still having tons of traction and it's still plush. It's definitely worth the high price. I also have the bomber cr coil tuned by avy on my decoy (and the smashpot in the yari). The bike is insanely smooth at breakneck speeds.

Came here to say I swap the 150mm dropper for the one up 210mm. That was a freaking game changer upgrade.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi,
I've changed:-
Riser stem to get the bars 25mm higher.
Ohlins shock, I weigh 102 kgs.
Eddy Current rear tyre.
Tubeless front and rear.
Old inner tube to protect the dropper.

The Eddy Current is great. Extremely hard to get on the carbon rim only using your hands, but it does go on.

View attachment 45981

I am almost the same weight. Would you mind sharing the specs of the shock? I am still using the stock shock and might want to change to coil!

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Sure, sorry for the delay in replying.
The shock is Ohlins TTX22M, 230 x 65
Spring is:-
20210119_070230.jpg

Expensive, but worth it if you're jumping and riding aggressively. I'm not brilliant at either, but I can tell the difference.
At 102 kgs you have to put ~230psi in the original air shock. This preloads all the seals giving loads more stickshon.
The coil is great, easy to set the sag, and only a few settings to play with. The high speed compression adjuster actually makes a difference too!

Last edited:

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Folks.

I really like the rear Schwalbe Eddy Current tyre; way better than the standard Maxxis. Better grip, no rolling, no tearing, fantastic.

I have to say though, personally I run mine at 35 psi, tubeless. No tyre inserts etc. To jump or rail berms I need tyres that don't roll, fold, squirm or feel loose in the back. I tune my suspension so I can run hard tyres.

Fitting the Eddy Current front today, in the warm, with warm hands and a warm tyre!

(Please don't hate on my tyre pressure, just my personal preference)

CraigerC EMTB

May 6, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
So much fun on my Decoy I have not been able to post my fine tuning - 2020 YT Decoy Pro Race - XL - as with any bike I'm still getting everything tuned. Love the way it handles the steeps here & plows through the chunk! This is it in action! Changes and pending below:

Carpet Muncher Roll 12-20.jpg
Done:
  • Ergon SM Enduro Comp - great saddle
  • Schwalbe Eddy Current (rear 27.5 x 2.60) - running 23 lbs - great all around grip
  • ODI ROUGE Lock on grips -super comfortable & lock on is right
  • “Pro tune” for 36 & X2 - Bike Co by “Bitter Joe”- Must have to get the most out of the travel!
  • Galfer 220 mm front rotor with Galfer pro compound pads - gotta stop!
  • Crank Bros Stamp 7 pedals
  • Additional battery - got to have power!
On the way:
  • Shimano Saint M820 brakes – the “Codes” just don’t get it done
  • Galfer 203 mm rear rotor - gotta stop!
  • Maxxis Assegai 29" Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR (front 29 x 2.50) – can't wait to push into that tire!
Can't wait to ride again tomorrow! See ya out there!

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Decoy Shred in medium came in and it has been an awesome couple of weeks setting it up (taking my time!). Have done a few upgrades so far. Here is what I have changed out:

Completed Upgrades:
  • Race Face Turbine R 35 Stem Orange, 50mm Length
  • OneUp Carbon Handlebar 20mm rise
  • Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Remote
  • K-edge Gravity Garmin top-cap mount
  • OneUp Aluminum Pedals
  • Shimano Saint front and rear
  • Ergon MTB Gravity Grip
  • RideWrap (but I did a shite job on it - I am not patient enough for that type of work!)
To Be Completed (ordered and/or just waiting to be installed):
  • Nobl TR41 mullet wheelset with Industry Nine 1/1 hubs (can't wait to get these on)
  • 203mm Ice-Tech rotors
  • Cushcore front and rear inserts
  • Tubeless setup
Will also probably change the tires, but only once I wear the current ones down.

20210130_232656044_iOS.jpg
20210130_232706965_iOS.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Decoy Shred in medium came in and it has been an awesome couple of weeks setting it up (taking my time!). Have done a few upgrades so far. Here is what I have changed out:

Completed Upgrades:
  • Race Face Turbine R 35 Stem Orange, 50mm Length
  • OneUp Carbon Handlebar 20mm rise
  • Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Remote
  • K-edge Gravity Garmin top-cap mount
  • OneUp Aluminum Pedals
  • Shimano Saint front and rear
  • Ergon MTB Gravity Grip
  • RideWrap (but I did a shite job on it - I am not patient enough for that type of work!)
To Be Completed (ordered and/or just waiting to be installed):
  • Nobl TR41 mullet wheelset with Industry Nine 1/1 hubs (can't wait to get these on)
  • 203mm Ice-Tech rotors
  • Cushcore front and rear inserts
  • Tubeless setup
Will also probably change the tires, but only once I wear the current ones down.

View attachment 51637 View attachment 51638
Sweet looking rig! Like your upgrades. Bet you cant wait fir rest of uogrades! HMU if you want advice when you change out your tires. I've tried a few different tires on my Decoy Elite and have a Spesh Levo S-Works that I have upgraded the tires on as well.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Sweet looking rig! Like your upgrades. Bet you cant wait fir rest of uogrades! HMU if you want advice when you change out your tires. I've tried a few different tires on my Decoy Elite and have a Spesh Levo S-Works that I have upgraded the tires on as well.

Thanks! Yeah really looking forward to the wheels! I have had Nobl wheels on my last analog bike and they were amazing.

Will do on the tire - I know you like those e-wilds so I have been trying to find them to do a swap . I am having trouble finding the 27's here in Canada. Seems we can only get the 29s here for some crazy reason. I'll keep watching.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Thanks! Yeah really looking forward to the wheels! I have had Nobl wheels on my last analog bike and they were amazing.

Will do on the tire - I know you like those e-wilds so I have been trying to find them to do a swap . I am having trouble finding the 27's here in Canada. Seems we can only get the 29s here for some crazy reason. I'll keep watching.
I get mine from Amazon.com. Maybe one of these sellers can ship your way for a decent shipping rate. Also by from Chain Reaction Cycles. Great selection and good prices.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver

I'm in Canada and got mine from Merlin Cycles. Also had Nobl wheels on my last bike - the guys there are local to me.

You'll really like the Cushcore with this bike. It's a suspension upgrade. Where in Canada are you? There's not too many places in Canada you can still ride this time of year.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles