Poll: What ebike will be your next? A Skinny? Full Fat?

Skinny? FullFat? MegaPower?

• Total voters

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
With the advent of this new type of lightweight, lower power emtb, I've been having an argument with a mate. He's convinced that Skinny emtbs will take over and FullFats are a thing of the past. All things being equal, you win the lottery for example, what will your next emtb be? MegaPower are ebikes like the Flyon which have the most powerful motor available, weight be damned.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
With the advent of this new type of lightweight, lower power emtb, I've been having an argument with a mate. He's convinced that Skinny emtbs will take over and FullFats are a thing of the past. All things being equal, you win the lottery for example, what will your next emtb be? MegaPower are ebikes like the Flyon which have the most powerful motor available, weight be damned.

Just reading the Orbea thread, you can see that people want FF power (ish) with Skinny weight ..

If we were putting in the words of @BAMBAMODA we want slim, attractive lines, light weight so you can throw it around and have fun, but at the same time you want to be able to go all night (or day) yet still have the power and ability to go like a train if you want to ..

So Full Skinny ?

The Orbea Rise is Full fat Anorexic Skinny - it's not happy with what it could be so hides it.

It's going to be a compromise based on the riders preferences ..

18kg and less power .. 18 kg even less power but more suspension. 19kg less power decent suspension.

Remember you can buy something like a Mondraker Craft RR SL 19.9 kg FF Bosch 625wh battery 160/150mm or 19.3 kg with the 500wh - similar money to a spec'd up Orbea Rise.

Money no object , wouldn't you be heading in this direction ?

uhmmmmm .. but then a Levo/Kenevo SL(K) when/if they come out might be just that bit more fun to throw about.

Last edited:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I'd give up power before I'd give up range. I'd like all manufacturers to have a smaller internal battery for your after work rides, and extenders for longer rides. I'm not one to worry about ounces or even a couple of pounds if I get a bike to ride like I want it to.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I think most brand's will have either options in the future. But with that Shimano ep8 rs motor at 60nm I can see that will be the bench mark to come as the e8000 motor only has 70nm. My decoy with e8000 70nm is enough for me, as I still love riding my normal bike (canyon strive)

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Having owned - and still owning - FF and skinny eMTBs, I can say with confidence that I'll never buy another FF bike until I'm too old and feeble (I'm 60 now) to ride without all the help I can get.

There's just something deeply appealing to me about lightweight, lower power, designed-for-purpose "mini" motors. Emasculating a FF motor, like Orbea has done with the Rise, just doesn't work for me - it's a solution looking for a problem.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i ride mostly bio bike (spesh epic xc). but in bad weather conditions (cold - windy - dark - wet) i love to ride my merida e160 which weighs double ;-(.
for my brian and heart a lightweight emtb would be more sophisticated beside my lightweight xc. i am sure, the next levo sl has more power than the first version. i can wait for MY2022...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles