What will be your next emtb? Lightweight or full fat?

Lightweight or full-fat for your next emtb?

• Full-fat

Votes: 76 58.9%
  • LIghtweight

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I'm buying one of each

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters

Jagged

Sep 11, 2022
Asia
I have a full power emtb and enjoying very much as I get to ride further and recover much faster on my weekend adventures.

But when doing short mixed surface rides around my neighborhood, even at the lowest power assist level, I feel that I don’t get enough exercise at times. With my regular mtb’s, there are days when I’m not motivated enough to use them.

So I’m thinking of a lightweight emtb for my next bike in case I find a good deal. I also wonder if it can potentially replace my regular mtb’s and still be light enough to pedal even with its motor off.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i wait until the speed limit change from 25 to 32km/h. uphill eMtbs are great, downhill they are bulky and on flats they are boring slow. i would instantly buy an 18kg eMTB with legal 32km/h limit.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
i wait until the speed limit change from 25 to 32km/h. uphill eMtbs are great, downhill they are bulky and on flats they are boring slow. i would instantly buy an 18kg eMTB with legal 32km/h limit.
The problem with that is that higher speeds will kill your range. So an 18kg EMTB is likely to have a 3-400Wh battery and those higher speeds (assuming you are actually using them a significant amount of the time) will really use a lot of energy.
Its like the old: "Price, weight, strength; pick two" but for ebikes should be... OR, in this case...
Range: Power: Weight
Pick Two
OR, in this case...
Range: Speed: Weight
Pick Two
We would all like a super-powerful, super-light, super-long-range, reasonably priced EMTB but until battery technology improves enormously it isn't going to be possible. So for now we have to choose what to compromise on, and in most cases we have to compromise on all of them.
So my Levo SL is heavier than I'd like, less powerful than I'd like, has less range than I'd like AND is more expensive than I'd like. But it is still a lot of fun and I'm glad I didn't go for something heavier.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
The problem with that is that higher speeds will kill your range. So an 18kg EMTB is likely to have a 3-400Wh battery and those higher speeds (assuming you are actually using them a significant amount of the time) will really use a lot of energy.
Its like the old: "Price, weight, strength; pick two" but for ebikes should be... OR, in this case...
Pick Two
OR, in this case...
Pick Two
We would all like a super-powerful, super-light, super-long-range, reasonably priced EMTB but until battery technology improves enormously it isn't going to be possible. So for now we have to choose what to compromise on, and in most cases we have to compromise on all of them.
So my Levo SL is heavier than I'd like, less powerful than I'd like, has less range than I'd like AND is more expensive than I'd like. But it is still a lot of fun and I'm glad I didn't go for something heavier.
i have no problem to deliver 120-150 Watts of my own for a ling time. so, i can do the maths, i use power meters. even on eMtbs. Most brands dont care about leg power in their data broadcast which is a shame.

Last edited:

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
I have a full power emtb and enjoying very much as I get to ride further and recover much faster on my weekend adventures.

But when doing short mixed surface rides around my neighborhood, even at the lowest power assist level, I feel that I don’t get enough exercise at times. With my regular mtb’s, there are days when I’m not motivated enough to use them.

So I’m thinking of a lightweight emtb for my next bike in case I find a good deal. I also wonder if it can potentially replace my regular mtb’s and still be light enough to pedal even with its motor off.
I am sorta in the same boat with my choices. I am looking at getting my first emtb and was settled on the Giant Trance E+1, but have since been looking at the Orbea Rise H15. Not sure I want full power, love a good climb but want to go further than I can right now, so much area to see out there. Watching many reviews it seems the Orbea and be pedaled easily as an analog bike but still has a bigger battery than most if not all light etmb's atm. And a lot of the 2022 Orbea are on decent sales right now.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
1. Battery tech is definitely going to improve but we are already much better than 3.5kg for 500Wh. Fazua's 430Wh = 2.3 kg
2. Not sure you are going to save 1kg on many frames, Scott Lumen frame is already under 2kg ! - admittedly that's very light - Orbea Rise is circa 2.3kg I think.
3. Shimano EP8 is already 2.6kg,

So I think the battery is definitely where it is at for weight saving if we can get density down to a 600Wh for 2kg + a 2kg FF motor you are looking at FF for the current Fazua ride 60 weights - something like the the Focus Jam 2 SL. That would be pretty awesome I'd be really happy with that!
Batteries are all pretty much the same, they all use the same cells. Cell phone and automotive are driving the technology, not the mountain bike industry.
Unlikely to see weight reductions soon.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Max speed is controlled by regulations, not by technology, so we are stuck with 25

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Batteries are all pretty much the same, they all use the same cells. Cell phone and automotive are driving the technology, not the mountain bike industry.
Unlikely to see weight reductions soon.
Yes I think you're right advances in density will definitely come from outside the bike world. There are a large number of smart people working on it and although the advance is not meteoric is is happening and will continue to happen. I don't think you'll find batteries are all the same manufacturers are always tweaking chemistries looking for improvements in one form or another. My Tesla has totally different batteries to my wife's NIssan leaf. If we can see the solid state battery density that is more like 500wh/kg (as NASA has done) NASA’s Solid-State Battery Research Exceeds Initial Goals compared to 250wh then we'd be talking!

On the original topic I have put a reservation in with my local shop for a transition relay. I am hoping to lose a few kg from my Norco Sight VLT and have something slightly closer in handling to a traditional bike but still with the stability advantages of the low down emtb weight.

Last edited:

Jamesb

Jan 10, 2023
Dorset
Full fat for me, limited time riding means I can cover ground quickly uphill ( downhill/enduro riding) and have all the energy for the downhills. Use my analogue bike for early morning ride’s before work to keep me fit

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
mmmm.....smaller battery, lighter duty components/tyres etc, less powerful motors.........................Half fat=half price?.........Ah thought not!! Full power and max strength, max stability, mountain goat climbing, enduro capable for me.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
My latest...picked her up Saturday. Definitely Full Fat. And by FAT, I mean deep fried, covered in gravy with an extra side of bacon and mayo, smothered in syrup kinda FAT. Bitch be thicccckkkkk.

norco2023.jpg

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
i would never recommend this, and never recommend tuning your bike.. in a worst case scenario you are out of insurence.
What sort of insurance are you talking about? ebike crash cover?
In NZ there’s no actual specified limit, but rather a power limit is specified for road use. So I have a factory spec”d 45kmph Giant Quick E+ commuter and a 32kmph Rail. Removing the Rail speed limiter won’t infringe any rule.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
My latest...picked her up Saturday. Definitely Full Fat. And by FAT, I mean deep fried, covered in gravy with an extra side of bacon and mayo, smothered in syrup kinda FAT. Bitch be thicccckkkkk.

View attachment 104366
I've got the same Bigfoot VLT and love it! I love it so much it is changing my opinion on what my summer bike will be because this Bigfoot isn't going away this summer. I will get a set of summer wheels and ride her all summer.

So now I might go lightweight for my next bike.

Put some studded tires on that thing, and it will go through anything! If you are running it in the snow, I recommend tuning down a bit the trail setting to have a slower kick-in and less power. The bike is a heavyweight and likes stays planted to the group so well.

I love it more than I ever thought I would.

Bakewell Blue

Apr 2, 2023
Bakewell
After a year with a Ries & Muller Delight mountain @27 kg My next bike will deffo be Full Fat Lightweight but MUST feature gearbox, belt drive and range extender.
Plus body building course for lifting over styles !
not sure why you would need to lift over stiles? all cycle routes have gates......!

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Ideally for my situation I'd like to see a full power bike with a removable battery and motor. Something along the lines of the Forza that Trek uses in their cross country ebikes but in a more enduro/light DH package such as a Kenevo.

Reason? Id like one bike that I can use to self shuttle in the winter and then turn around and drop the weight when the chair lift parks open in the summer.

I was very on the fence with buying a Kenevo SL before getting a RM Altitude. One of the reasons I went for the Altitude is that I think I will be able to remove the battery throw on a shorter chain bypassing the drive gear (to reduce motor drag) and possibly take it to the lift parks this summer. Still would need to contend with the weight of the motor however.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I currently own an E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown, AWD, 2 battery, dual suspension, 95 pound "cargo" hunting E-MTB and it will likely be my last one, me being a fit 80 years vintage.

It was great on a recent antelope hunt in remote north central Nevada. Charged it with a BLUETTI AC200 MAX that was in turn charged with a 220 watt Off Grid TREK solar blanket. Spendy but totally worth it IMHO.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Pick Two
OR, in this case...
Pick Two
Actually doesn't make a huge, my previous bike had a speed box, I used it to commute to work(16km each way) yes if you rode everywhere in turbo you well monster the battery, quote often would have a slite tail wind you could cruise along a 35-38kph in eco or tour mode and not use much battery. Much more natural feeling than hitting the drag limiter.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
My next bike hopefully well be a Reign e+2 if they ever get here.
Mainly because its a decent price point for spec here in NZ.
Wont be changing much as funds are pretty tight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles