Fulgur Mula, 20KG Full Fat ebike

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Maybe some perspective is required, because everyone seems to get hung up about grammes whilst not seeing the fact that they're carrying a spare 5kg around their waste.

My lad's got a medium sized Levo SL Comp Alloy, with similar bits added such as lights, mudguards and Cushcores etc. and the Mula is only a kilo heavier than his 'Super-Light' bike when hanging on our scales. (The first time I weighed his I was surprised how much heavier it is than claimed, but my '24kg' giant was also somehow up to 25.5kg, just with pedals and mudguards on it so I guess they're all being economical with the truth when it comes to published weights) His SL does have alloy rims though, and a range extender which brings his battery up to just under mine in terms of watts. His also only has Fox 34 forks though, and I think it's just a DPS shock that's on that bike.

So, if you were to put my suspension on his bike, his 'SL' would be a heavier bike than the Mula.

I suppose it makes sense when you think about it because the difference between them really is that the Mula frame is lighter but his SL motor is lighter.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
I've a small Mula - it's 3-4 kg lighter than the Haibike Allmtn7 it replaced. As previous posts... the suspension if superb. Just works straight away, no finding out later there's cheap bits inside etc. The App works well too. I've got one map set as full power & full "stickyness" too. The Stickyness is overrun or flywheel effect so allowing a bit of roll over on obstacles.
The small comes with short crank arms to help lessen pedal strikes as the bike is pretty low, but I've only had a few scuffs so far. I changed the bars & clamp as the originals are fatter & none of my lights brackets etc would fit.
However I find the motor on my bike does not have the oomph of the Yamaha on the Haibike. It fades on the big hills & recently that got worse on long rides... Switching off & on brought the power back. If the press/youtube reports are accurate - then my motor is not up to spec.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I've a small Mula - it's 3-4 kg lighter than the Haibike Allmtn7 it replaced. As previous posts... the suspension if superb. Just works straight away, no finding out later there's cheap bits inside etc. The App works well too. I've got one map set as full power & full "stickyness" too. The Stickyness is overrun or flywheel effect so allowing a bit of roll over on obstacles.
The small comes with short crank arms to help lessen pedal strikes as the bike is pretty low, but I've only had a few scuffs so far. I changed the bars & clamp as the originals are fatter & none of my lights brackets etc would fit.
However I find the motor on my bike does not have the oomph of the Yamaha on the Haibike. It fades on the big hills & recently that got worse on long rides... Switching off & on brought the power back. If the press/youtube reports are accurate - then my motor is not up to spec.

That's strange because I have beaten pretty much all of my own PBs going up (and down) the hills that I previously set on my Giant/Yamaha.

I don't think there's as much difference between them as claimed, because from 80 to 90 should at least be noticable.

I did always think though that the Giant with supposedly 80Nm felt like it had more grunt than Shimano's 85Nm when I've ridden them.

I'm hoping to collect a Bosch powered bike for the eldest lad very soon so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

jaymd1371

Sep 6, 2023
Camberley
I popped (!) down to try this bike on Saturday and was really impressed with it.

Unfortunately the ride was short and of limited scope, but what little I did do it felt really good, the motor and suspension in particular. Although the 'testing' of the latter was no more than pumps and road furniture, it felt virtually free of stiction, and like it would just soak up the ripples with ease.

I'm not sure that this specific bike, with alloy cranks, bars and rims would be as light as 20kg (I'm only going on the basis of 'feel' when lifting it), however it was definitely considerably lighter than my current bike (Giant Trance E+0) and I expect that with some carbon goodies it would be amongst the lightest of the full-fat bikes for sure.

Anyway, the main reason for me posting, was that I forgot/didn't think to see how much drag the motor had when turned off, so if you get the opportunity to do that when you test it please Rob and let us know that would be great.

I also have to say, Chris at Berkshire Cycles could not have been more honest and helpful, taking so much time out of his day to talk with me about more than just the bike, and was not pushy in any way. A refreshing thing these days. Very impressed.
Hey man, hope all's well with you. new in this site and not sure how to send you a message directly and i could not find the previous comment you did about changing the speed sensor of your mula to a shimano with magnet attached to the disc rotor instead of the original attached into the spoke. i wanted to upgrade mine but not sure what shimano speed sensor to use. i did some research and found shimano EW-ss300, 301 and 302. ss300 seems to be the same as the current one on the mula. so it would either be the 301 or 302. would really appreciate it if you could share some ideas on this. hope to hear from you soon.

thanks and regards.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Screenshot_2023-09-28-20-02-32-80_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles