Full Fat or New Gen Lites

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
If you were going to buy in the coming months what are your thoughts on buying a full power (Levo) versus the new generation 50-60nm models (New Levo SL, Trek EXe) in the pipeline?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Full fat. I'm pretty much in turbo at the end of a days riding. My legs are so tired I don't think 60nm will cut it to winch me to the top for another run.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Depends on a bunch of things. Reliability/defect issues aside, the Levo Gen 3 has a lot going for it. I just rode mine all over Mammoth Mountain on many of the same trails I've ridden regular enduro bikes for years and it was fine.

That said, the only place I felt compelled to use full turbo was this horrible little stretch called "Up and Over" where you have to zig zag up a hillside in deep kitty litter. If I only had 60Nm and 5 pounds less on the bike, it wouldn't be the worst tradeoff. It's just that losing range as well as torque/power makes it a more difficult sell.

If I was making a recommendation to a friend, I'd say Levo Gen 3 is a straightforward choice if you have a trusted Specialized dealer nearby, but the new Pivot Shuttle SL looks like it has potential.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
For the kind of riding I do I think I'd stick with full power. My e bike is in addition to my normal bike and used for getting the maximum amount of riding done in the shortest time. Also, I want 160/170 travel and progressive geo. The only lightweight bike (that I know of) that offers that is the Kenevo SL. Maybe the new transition will be worth a look.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
My goal is to keep my full fat for next year and then move to a light weight bike

when I started I used turbo a lot and most of the battery. Now I do most things in tour+ and have 60% left when I get to the car

after all it’s nice to have a goal and getting fitter was mine 🙂

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Handy hint, when you are rubbing the genie lamp you can wish harder than that, and a bit slower....

Wait until they announce the new lsl motor fits the old frame and dream there is a heavily discounted original lsl left. Then insure it.
New motor or two under warranty? Ooooh yeah
Bike stolen ? Aaaaahhh
Two years of trouble free use and lose 20 kg , meet the spec rep out on the trail and she is so impressed with your vintage bike she...frk, was that the wife walking up the stairs?

What, all the new bikes are pre sold and she isn't in the mood ?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I'd go lightweight after being on a yt decoy for last 2 years that weighs 56-58 lbs... the fauza 60nm sounds perfect, I miss the feeling of being able to be "lighter "on the bike down the steeps.. want more pop!:)

ability to ditch battery and ride as an acoustic bike on shuttle runs will be awesome bonus! Plus you could easily carry another 430wh battery in pack.. these bikes will take over the market in short order I think.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I’m saying lightweight, after 4 years on an original Kenevo I’ve just bought a Kenevo SL and love it. So far I’m not missing the battery capacity and it’s so much lighter and more bike. It does lack torque for some technical climbs, but typically only when riding up DH trails

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I love my 37lb. Levo SL. I'm older then most all my riding buddies. I got the SL to keep up with them on their acoustic bikes. It worked out great! Now all those (so called) buddies are getting full fats. They were tired of me killing them on the climbs. Once again I'm sucking wind trying to keep up. So now I'm looking at a 2022 Levo full fat. They are most definitely different! Mostly in the turns and of course on the gas. Pretty sure I'll keep my SL. That thing is a singletrack animal.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
If you were going to buy in the coming months what are your thoughts on buying a full power (Levo) versus the new generation 50-60nm models (New Levo SL, Trek EXe) in the pipeline?
I chose a bike that would ride DOWN the mountain well yet still allow me to ride up, when I have to. 3-4 hours in a day is enough for me! People who enjoy riding heavy bikes UP mountains or for hours and hours (and hours) have different expectations and goals. You can't have both.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
The more i read about these bikes the more I'm tempted. I class 30 miles as a decent ride with most being between 15 and 20. 625 battery lasts nearly 60 miles for me ( i don't need that) , no mountains just road work and trails or wild park. I guess 80% in eco and 20% tour is my go to on most rides.
Its an expensive mistake to make if its the wrong bike .

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Rise more but Merida for lazy-boy rides!

Both have similar range stock (360 wh Rise vs 504wh Merida) but I also have the Rise extender so can hit 40 Miles if needed. Merida won't get near that without turning it off...

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The more i read about these bikes the more I'm tempted. I class 30 miles as a decent ride with most being between 15 and 20. 625 battery lasts nearly 60 miles for me ( i don't need that) , no mountains just road work and trails or wild park. I guess 80% in eco and 20% tour is my go to on most rides.
Its an expensive mistake to make if its the wrong bike .

I can do 20-25 km (+/-2000m elevation) on my LSL/KSL in 3-4 hours with 15-20% leftover. That is more than enough riding for me on the trails I like to ride. The secret is to keep the bike turned on when you go down hill ;).

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
For me, if I was going to buy a new Ebike, it would be a lightweight one. That being said, it's not for everyone.

I think it depends on what you want to get out of the experience.
What's your riding background? Have you ridden mountain bikes for long? What's your fitness? Are you looking for and easy pedal up the hills or do you just want a bit of assistance to make it a little easier? (although you can still just drop the assistance of a full powered bike)
Are you looking for a bike that has the pop and playful feeling close to a normal bike or do you want something that will plow through everything with ease?
Even lifting the bike on and off your rack is a consideration. Good luck lifting a full powered bike on you roof rack:eek:
Who will you be riding with? Are you planning to ride with others on full powered bikes or sometimes with normal bikes.
There's a lot of compromises to consider.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
i think it depends on how many bikes you’re fortunate enough to own - why not both of you have the cash 🤑

For a one bike approach I would be going lightweight. However, as I still ride my MTB it’s full fat all the way, a lightweight is too much of a halfway house. I find my sub 14kg pedal power trail bike and full fat 22kg Ebike complement each other really well.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Full fat in constant turbo.
I'm sure you're joking, because it's stupid to ride in turbo. Much less control on technical uphill, and horrible battery life. At least if you have some vertical they you have to ride.

If you're riding mostly flat, you don't need an e bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles