[POLL] Hanging an eMTB by it's dropper post in a workshop stand?

Which is the correct way to hang an eMTB from it's dropper post?

• Total voters

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Physics says that hanging my heavy bike level from a dropper post that isn't at the centre mass of the bike is putting alot of stress on the internals of the post (I assume bushes), here:

20230727_140800.jpg

So which way is the recommended method?

A: Bike level, dropper post at an angle.
(Easier to work on)

B: Dropper post level, bike at an angle. (Slighly less easier to work on)

C: Let the bike find it's own angle. (Even less easier to work on)

D: Don't be lazy, raise the dropper out of the frame a bit more and clamp the main body of it. (Potentially having the bike at any angle you want without stressing the dropper's internals but potentially stressing the frame where the dropper's body is mounted)(Not Pictured, too lazy 🙈)

E: None of the above (comment below)

Also curious about how others do it, some carbon frames are odd shapes like my Cube and I don't like the idea of winding a clamp down on a carbon tube anyway.

20230727_140753.jpg

20230727_141204.jpg

20230727_141443.jpg

Note: I am aware of this video where they reckon just 27Nm of rotational force is applied when henging a normal MTB with a weight of about 30lbs which the dropper should handle just fine. I used Chat GPT to extrapolate their figures assuming a heavier bike of 53lbs and it reckons just under 48Nm of force instead, whether the dropper is OK with that I donlt know. Even so, when the bike is clamped level I swear I can see the dropper post bending (probably just seeing things, but just doesn't seem right to me)

Last edited:

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
While I voted B I actually run AXS droppers on both my emtb so when it goes in the stand I yank that and use and old crappy Bontrager post instead. Prob overkill to be honest but it gives me piece of mind for very little effort.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
While I voted B I actually run AXS droppers on both my emtb so when it goes in the stand I yank that and use and old crappy Bontrager post instead. Prob overkill to be honest but it gives me piece of mind for very little effort.
I thought of that but internally routed droppers make that a bit of a chore.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Yes they probably will, they do on my 2022 Cube
I have rerouted the Kiox wire as I noticed it was getting trapped between the stem and false cross bar , the cables can be pushed to one side

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use the dropper stanchion, but leave the front wheel on the ground. If I need to work on the front wheel, I drape the bike over the work stand top bar. The work stand top bar is at the top of the down tube, underneath the head tube. I am not averse to putting the bike upside down on the floor if I need to do some large torque work, like removing the cassette or any work on the BB.

If I was going to suspend the bike on the dropper, I would pull it out a bit and use the dropper body. But I know where the dropper cable is and can do what is required not to jam it up when reverting to normal (unlike my now closed LBS who bent the cable and ruined it!)

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I would use a carbon frame protector like something off a Thule bike carrier clamp and hold it by the top tube.

You could place it on the open clamp stand easily and get the bike sitting level and then carefully nip up the clamp to stop it moving around.

It wouldn’t need to be any tighter than when it is on a bike carrier unless you’re hammering away at it.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Im not picking here so dont shoot me down But Park dont make the dropper you would be more in the know if you specifically asked the manufacturer of the post
Just a thought (y)
That's a valid point. In the Park video they crunched the numbers and reckon there's only about 27Nm of rotational torque (when hanging a non ebike) and they are assuming that the dropper can handle that, so yeah, some assumption is involved.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
This has all been discussed before and the main argument for using the dropper post is that Park Tool say it is OK ( Park Tool supply the majority of LBS with their stands and dont make dropper posts!!).
Physics tells me it is a terrible idea when the average full fat EMTB weighs c 24kg and due to the position of the battery and heavy duty forks like Zebs or Fox 38s the bikes are invariably front heavy. The stress on the dropper post and seat tube is large and bear in mind also that when you are working on the bike it is not stationary.
For me the optimum solution is a platform type stand when the bike is supported under the motor and with a fork mount ( albeit you can support either the fork or the rear of the bike in the fork mount). The downside is that the front or rear wheel has to be removed first but that is the stand I use for any extended work on the bike. For simple cleaning/lubrication I use a standard ( Halfords) bike stand with a set of cheap drop handlebars in the clamp such that the bike merely hooks over the ends of that handlebar.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
This has all been discussed before and the main argument for using the dropper post is that Park Tool say it is OK ( Park Tool supply the majority of LBS with their stands and dont make dropper posts!!).
Physics tells me it is a terrible idea when the average full fat EMTB weighs c 24kg and due to the position of the battery and heavy duty forks like Zebs or Fox 38s the bikes are invariably front heavy. The stress on the dropper post and seat tube is large and bear in mind also that when you are working on the bike it is not stationary.
For me the optimum solution is a platform type stand when the bike is supported under the motor and with a fork mount ( albeit you can support either the fork or the rear of the bike in the fork mount). The downside is that the front or rear wheel has to be removed first but that is the stand I use for any extended work on the bike. For simple cleaning/lubrication I use a standard ( Halfords) bike stand with a set of cheap drop handlebars in the clamp such that the bike merely hooks over the ends of that handlebar.
That's another good tip about using dropper bars as hooks, I like that!

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I've added an option E to the Poll for 'None of the above' as that is seeming more common currently.

Last edited:

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Not trying to be flippant but aren't you exerting far far more force on the post when you're sitting on it battering up a rocky climb?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

Equally, physics tells me that if the dropper post can take my 90kg sitting on it, whilst going over rocks, roots and compressions, it can also take the weight of the bike it’s attached to.

As it happens, I don’t hang my bikes by the dropper, but that’s because I lightly clamp the top tubes, which in my bikes are all alloy. I’d have no qualms hanging from the fatter section of a dropper post though if my frames were carbon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles