Transport by air an eMTB?

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Has anyone has a good way to fly with your bike? what bike case? how to deal with the battery considering the regulations?
keen to find a solution that works for me, as I travel quite a bit, would be amazing to take my Levo with me.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The bike easy. The battery is impossible. The battery Wh is above the limit that is allowed under IATA Dangerous Goods regulations.
You would to need to either ship you battery by sea/land in advance, hire a battery at your destination or buy one to store there if it a place you visit often.

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
The bike easy. The battery is impossible. The battery Wh is above the limit that is allowed under IATA Dangerous Goods regulations.
You would to need to either ship you battery by sea/land in advance, hire a battery at your destination or buy one to store there if it a place you visit often.
Can't I ship the battery through Fedex/UPS/ DHL? could they move it by air?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not unless the regs have been relaxed in the last couple of years.

I would say do a trial shipment online and see what happens. I would suggest being honest about what you are shipping, both contents and value. If things go wrong it could end badly.

For example, the penalty for falsifying a declaration on a package to the USA is up to $250,000 fine and 10 years in jail.

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Not unless the regs have been relaxed in the last couple of years.

I would say do a trial shipment online and see what happens. I would suggest being honest about what you are shipping, both contents and value. If things go wrong it could end badly.

For example, the penalty for falsifying a declaration on a package to the USA is up to $250,000 fine and 10 years in jail.
Agreed, is a too bigger risk either to lose the battery or the plane ticket.

I will ask to courier company if they can make it, they have their own planes, which they use exclusively for cargo...

This is a major handicap on eMTB yet, if one wants to travel or participate in some events has to be by road (sea takes too long)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles