Department for Transport Consultation (UK)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just seen details of the launch of a consultation by DfT concerning the current regulations that govern our bikes in the UK. Check out the website for more details and also the opportunity to respond. For whatever reason it seems focused on increasing permissible motor power to 500w and the use of throttles whilst maintaining the same assisted speed!

Screenshot_20240229-110343_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Presumably this in response to the delivery e-bikes that have sprung up?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Their focus is to encourage more use of e cycles in general but with particular attention to cargo bike type use and the ability of the disabled to use e cycles. Their proposals centre around increasing motor wattage from 250 to 500 for the former and the use of throttles potentially for both.
What could be of interest for us is twofold.

Firstly you can fill in a response form online and therefore provide feedback direct to the Govt department responsible for the regulations that govern our bikes.
Secondly DfT will have to formally review the current EAPC regulations to implement any changes they consider as a result of the consultation.

I used the online response form and was able to tell them a number of times that e cycle use would increase and need for derestriction reduce if assisted speed was raised to 20mph. I also stated that cargo bikes should be created as a new class separate to EAPCs with whatever motor power etc was advised by industry as being most suitable......and due to the size and weight bearing need would probably require some form of type approval.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you read the consultation document the door is open for more general feedback on what would further encourage the use of e cycles.....beyond the cargo bike/ bike for the disabled aspects they have identified. The EAPC regulations issued by the EU and retained by the UK despite Brexit years ago have not until now been the focus for any review or modification in UK law. This consultation appears to be the first time that is now a consideration.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The strongest case for an increase in assisted speed is for those that use or would like to use them, to commute or use as a short trip bike for shopping etc or just for pleasure. The EMTB specific wants/needs in relation to speeds would carry no weight by comparison so best feedback is in relation to the use of e cycles on the roads.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All the feedback and news I have seen from various Cycling lobby groups etc has been firmly negative regarding the proposals in the consultation especially in regard to making the use of throttles legal....maybe with the exception of specific users although the feedback was that it would be impossible to enforce and merely lead to a floodgate of throttle use.

Rather than launching a consultation asking for views on how the use of E Cycles could be further encouraged, the DfT have stirred the pot by putting forward 2 suggestions ( increase motor power to 500w and legalise throttles) which just a bout everyone is decrying as ridiculous. One very constructive piece of feedback I read said that the 2 main factors holding back increased use of E Cycles, were road safety and price. Several fed back that the supply of non certified/dangerous batteries etc being imported and sold online was the most urgent issue to resolve.

I think the DfT will be stung to some degree by all this feedback, making them look somewhat naive, which may well then lead to a more generic and open discussion on the way forward for E Cycles.

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
So if the nominal output is raised to 500W, what would the peak output be raised to? There already seems to be a big disparity between nominal and peak outputs, and no one seems to know how they are measured anyway? 500W at 15.5 mph will only show itself on very steep hills, my 250W Levo will climb up some reasonable hills at the 15.5mph limit

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So if the nominal output is raised to 500W, what would the peak output be raised to? There already seems to be a big disparity between nominal and peak outputs, and no one seems to know how they are measured anyway? 500W at 15.5 mph will only show itself on very steep hills, my 250W Levo will climb up some reasonable hills at the 15.5mph limit
I guess it is done on the basis of temperature. At 250w the motor runs continuously without ever reaching its temperature limit.............Most 250w motors seem to be quoted as having 540-600w peak output but they dont say how long the motor can sustain that without oveheating. I think the motors have sensors that switch it off if a certain temperature is exceeded. Whether at nominal or peak performance neither does it specify what load is applied. For cars(ICE) the horsepower is usually defined without load measured at the output crank. Electric motors have very different characteristics to ICE petrol or diesal engine however. Its all pretty wooly!!

I think the DfT showed a lack of knowledge in their proposals. It is the nm output of the motor that determines how it performs rather than its nominal rating. They suggest that 500w would better enable hills to be negotiated whereas regardless what vehicle or power source it uses the classic way to help maintain momentum uphill is to start the hill with greater speed...............something the 15.5mph limit prevents.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles