OK to hang a bike by the seat/dropper?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I see some racks that do this. Would be handy in my garage if I could.

Is it OK to do? Doesn't *** up the dropper seals? (esp with a 50lb + e bike hanging from them).

Yes I realise bike weight is much less than rider weight, but rider weight compresses, hanging the bike basically stretches the dropper.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
so long as the post is already fully extended* it's absolutely fine to hang the bike by the dropper stanchion or saddle
or you can raise the post in the seat tube, clamp it at a higher height and clamp by the lower portion of post.

*Certain posts don't like being forced to extend when the actuator is not compressed.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Uncle Calvin says clamping a dropper in the stand is fine provided your stand has soft jaws to avoid scratches, so hanging the bike by the seat or dropper should be no biggie...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
- edit - should watch video first! yeah they reckon it's fine to clamp on the outer or inner (ie telescopic part) so it follow hanging is OK if not better than inner clamping as no rotational forces -

Last edited:

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
The Fort William gondola was terrifying for me. My whole bike was hanging from my extended dropper post. My seat even came loose on the rails after a crash. I might install a standard seatpost for my next visit. I'm just not confident that they are designed to hold 24kg in that orientation.

seeanddo1.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wouldn't worry too much. When those hooks were installed back in the late '90s the average DH bike weighed 22kg+
just bolt check your bike, rough DH tracks like Ft William rattle bikes apart. But also make sure you load the bikes evenly and sit evenly in the gondola. ie. if one bike in the middle hook, 2 one each side or all 3 side by side and make sure the bars are resting on the lower portion straight as it helps stop bikes being blown sideways on the gondola.

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I wouldn't worry too much. When those hooks were installed back in the late '90s the average DH bike weighed 22kg+
just bolt check your bike, rough DH tracks like Ft William rattle bikes apart. But also make sure you load the bikes evenly and sit evenly in the gondola. ie. if one bike in the middle hook, 2 one each side or all 3 side by side and make sure the bars are resting on the lower portion straight as it helps stop bikes being blown sideways on the gondola.
It's good to know someone else is using it. The Gondola operator acted like he had never hung an ebike on it and he didn't seem too confident either. I trust the Gondola and the bike. Just not sure about the dropper.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I must have used those Gondolas a thousand times. a good few hundred of those I'd have been hanging a 48-50lb DH bike from them. 6 times in total have I hung a bike with a dropper. Zero times have I hung an E-bike.
So long as your saddle is at a decent angle for sitting in the loop at full extension and you bolt check it I don't really see a problem.
Bikes with normal seatposts have dropped from those gondolas. and plenty have been blown sideways looking like they might fall. Hence my advice.

Just noticed your pic. Think it's Mickael Pascal's heading up with his Q bike at the 2006 World Cup. A blast from the past. Cheers for sharing.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles