Pole Voima 190mm Travel EMTB

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Exactly. Seems it would be relatively easy for Pole to have size specific (or 27.5 / 29 specific) rear ends given their manufacturing capabilities.
Yeah that would be nice and make the bike appeal to a wider audience.

Overall I'm stoked and knew there would be adjustment for me with the long chain stay as in used to short 27.5 chainstay.

Let the testing and setting up continue. One thing is certain. This bike is a monster in every way.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I’ll be ordering a frame set but I’m not interested in any of the rear shocks they offer. The shock that it comes with will not be ridden and sold as new take-off. Is anyone interested in purchasing it? And if so, which one would you want?
  • RockShox SuperDeluxe Ultimate Air MY23
  • RockShox SuperDeluxe Ultimate Air MY23 Hydraulic Bottom Out
  • Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil
Or which one of these would sell the easiest?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I’ll be ordering a frame set but I’m not interested in any of the rear shocks they offer. The shock that it comes with will not be ridden and sold as new take-off. Is anyone interested in purchasing it? And if so, which one would you want?
  • RockShox SuperDeluxe Ultimate Air MY23
  • RockShox SuperDeluxe Ultimate Air MY23 Hydraulic Bottom Out
  • Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil
Or which one of these would sell the easiest?

Had this dilemma too. DH shock size pretty much means a tough sell either way. Ended up just going cheapest with standard SDU but now I wish I had splurged for the HBO so I’d at least have a shock I was happy to use as a backup if/when Arma is down.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Had this dilemma too. DH shock size pretty much means a tough sell either way. Ended up just going cheapest with standard SDU but now I wish I had splurged for the HBO so I’d at least have a shock I was happy to use as a backup if/when Arma is down.
I worried about that. Guess I’ll get the Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil and give it a run.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well. First weekend on the Voima.

Done about 6 hours 1300m of natural tech hike a bike and a super fast hour and a half ripping the bike park.
The steep natural tech is really really technical riding. if it was in a big park it would be the red or double black. It's not for the feint hearted. There's this one jackey section (for about 200m vert) that is just a matt of roots and bomb holes. its on the verge on not being ridable, some of it isn't ridable to be fair. If you can ride 50% down that section you are doing good. It requires full commitment to send it through the roots and bomb holes. Often its a roll of the dice to as to whether you can make it through. I managed about 90% on the Voima. A stellar effort for the first attempt of the jank.

Oh yeah, The bike makes perfect sense in the steep tech. Its stupid capable up and down. I did earn my turns on the hike a bike as there was about 2 hours of pushing and carrying. It gets so steep you cant ride, then so steep you cant even push, you have to carry. Carrying and pushing a Voima up is a work out to say the least. Its weighs almost twice as much as my enduro bike. BUT, on balance the effort expended is still less than the pedal bike as you can ride up 30-40% more of the hike a bike track.

I'll be honest. On the first hike a bike track I had to back off the power levels and I powered myself into a few tree's underestimating the power delivery. (I'm used to a orbea rise).

To the dudes that recommended a high stack and riser bar on the Voima.... What the hell are you on? the high stack made climbing worse. The bike would loop out sooner and I needed to get more weight over the front. On the down higher rise isn't needed either as it's already high. On the flat the higher stack shortened the bike even more. It was a lose lose lose. I swapped the height stack over mid ride and immediately had better steep tech climbing ability and zero disadvantage.
So no high stack for me. Low stack is the way and the light.

The bb height feels good to me. No problems at all with pedal strike. BUT, I did get multiple motor strikes on the pe slider. The motor hangs low! I'll need to adapt technique to limit slider strikes.

K1 geo for the down was spot on with the exception of the stupid long chain stays. I'll be honest I don't like them. I would prefer a shorter chain stay. But i'll deal with it. It only becomes a real issue when i want to manual. Manualing this bike sucks.

I'm getting pretty close on with suspension set up now with 29% sag and 400lb spring on the arma, 62.5 psi and 2 tokens in the zeb. Its feeling pretty balanced. Next up I need to hit some big drops and jumps to see how bottom out feels. Its been too wet to hit those features.

The bike is close to my dh bike in dh performance but is a far superior pedalling platform. The rig is still a bit better, but its not far off. Probably if I ran a dh fork on the front it would be there. Running down the fast rooty sections was a breeze. The bike just tracks and ploughs. But at the same I could throw it around the tight stuff on the down not to badly. I was worried that the extra weight would make super steep tech harder. But I think the extra suspension travel and big 220,200 rotor set up made easy work of the super tech.

I give the Voima 5 starts for stupid o'clock riding.

Now on to the bike park session. I went for a high speed lap on the greens and blue tracks (ok there were a couple of blacks thrown in for good measure). He has been E-biking for several years at a high level and schooled me to begin with as I was still feeling the bike out. Voima on the flat, undulating makes less sense. Though I once I calibrated to the bike I could keep up with my mate. He races e- enduro, so keeping up is an accomplishment in its own. Any way, on the flatter tracks the slacker geo was not an advantage particularly sweeping powered uphill corners. I found the front was too light and wandered too much, I did still have full stack height at the stage so lower stack might be better. My make was ripping around on his wives size extra small giant liv. All I rally could do was hold on. There was no point on the green and blue tracks where I felt I had the advantage.

Don't get me wrong, the session fun factor was off the charts. But If all you do is blue's and greens and dont ride super tech, black, double black diamond stuff I dont think the Voima is for you. In this regard I disagree with Rob. Its not one bike to rule them all. I Think you would be better off with a lower travel more standard geo bike.

Luckily I am not a blue/green track rider... well i ride those tracks to get to the hard/fun tracks.

Lastly seat position for K1 is to short for my liking, I can live with it but its not ideal. As i said before i started i would prefer 78° seat angle and slightly longer TT. I guess in that regard I like what I like. I've been riding for a long time and know what geo suits me best.

If Pole ever decide to offer different geo options then I'd be in for a 440mm chain stay and 78° seat angle. I'd give away a some technical climbing ability and high speed stability, but i would have a more playful bike.

Right oh, there's still day left and i'm not yet burnt out so. I'm off for another ride.

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Well. First weekend on the Voima.

Done about 6 hours 1300m of natural tech hike a bike and a super fast hour and a half ripping the bike park.
The steep natural tech is really really technical riding. if it was in a big park it would be the red or double black. It's not for the feint hearted. There's this one jackey section (for about 200m vert) that is just a matt of roots and bomb holes. its on the verge on not being ridable, some of it isn't ridable to be fair. If you can ride 50% down that section you are doing good. It requires full commitment to send it through the roots and bomb holes. Often its a roll of the dice to as to whether you can make it through. I managed about 90% on the Voima. A stellar effort for the first attempt of the jank.

Oh yeah, The bike makes perfect sense in the steep tech. Its stupid capable up and down. I did earn my turns on the hike a bike as there was about 2 hours of pushing and carrying. It gets so steep you cant ride, then so steep you cant even push, you have to carry. Carrying and pushing a Voima up is a work out to say the least. Its weighs almost twice as much as my enduro bike. BUT, on balance the effort expended is still less than the pedal bike as you can ride up 30-40% more of the hike a bike track.

I'll be honest. On the first hike a bike track I had to back off the power levels and I powered myself into a few tree's underestimating the power delivery. (I'm used to a orbea rise).

To the dudes that recommended a high stack and riser bar on the Voima.... What the hell are you on? the high stack made climbing worse. The bike would loop out sooner and I needed to get more weight over the front. On the down higher rise isn't needed either as it's already high. On the flat the higher stack shortened the bike even more. It was a lose lose lose. I swapped the height stack over mid ride and immediately had better steep tech climbing ability and zero disadvantage.
So no high stack for me. Low stack is the way and the light.

The bb height feels good to me. No problems at all with pedal strike. BUT, I did get multiple motor strikes on the pe slider. The motor hangs low! I'll need to adapt technique to limit slider strikes.

K1 geo for the down was spot on with the exception of the stupid long chain stays. I'll be honest I don't like them. I would prefer a shorter chain stay. But i'll deal with it. It only becomes a real issue when i want to manual. Manualing this bike sucks.

I'm getting pretty close on with suspension set up now with 29% sag and 400lb spring on the arma, 62.5 psi and 2 tokens in the zeb. Its feeling pretty balanced. Next up I need to hit some big drops and jumps to see how bottom out feels. Its been too wet to hit those features.

The bike is close to my dh bike in dh performance but is a far superior pedalling platform. The rig is still a bit better, but its not far off. Probably if I ran a dh fork on the front it would be there. Running down the fast rooty sections was a breeze. The bike just tracks and ploughs. But at the same I could throw it around the tight stuff on the down not to badly. I was worried that the extra weight would make super steep tech harder. But I think the extra suspension travel and big 220,200 rotor set up made easy work of the super tech.

I give the Voima 5 starts for stupid o'clock riding.

Now on to the bike park session. I went for a high speed lap on the greens and blue tracks (ok there were a couple of blacks thrown in for good measure). He has been E-biking for several years at a high level and schooled me to begin with as I was still feeling the bike out. Voima on the flat, undulating makes less sense. Though I once I calibrated to the bike I could keep up with my mate. He races e- enduro, so keeping up is an accomplishment in its own. Any way, on the flatter tracks the slacker geo was not an advantage particularly sweeping powered uphill corners. I found the front was too light and wandered too much, I did still have full stack height at the stage so lower stack might be better. My make was ripping around on his wives size extra small giant liv. All I rally could do was hold on. There was no point on the green and blue tracks where I felt I had the advantage.

Don't get me wrong, the session fun factor was off the charts. But If all you do is blue's and greens and dont ride super tech, black, double black diamond stuff I dont think the Voima is for you. In this regard I disagree with Rob. Its not one bike to rule them all. I Think you would be better off with a lower travel more standard geo bike.

Luckily I am not a blue/green track rider... well i ride those tracks to get to the hard/fun tracks.

Lastly seat position for K1 is to short for my liking, I can live with it but its not ideal. As i said before i started i would prefer 78° seat angle and slightly longer TT. I guess in that regard I like what I like. I've been riding for a long time and know what geo suits me best.

If Pole ever decide to offer different geo options then I'd be in for a 440mm chain stay and 78°. I'd give away a some technical climbing ability and high speed stability, but i would have a more playful bike.

Right oh, there's still day left and i'm not yet burnt out so. I'm off for another ride.
Yeah I don’t get the high stack height thing. If you look at Leo or his team riders they are not high stacking.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Anybody tried the hyper-large 243mm Galfer rotors on the Voima?

9A1D7E5A-86AD-4C2C-AEB9-6DAC504874FF.jpeg

Ordered already but just checking here in case someone knows of a technical limitation that would preclude these defacto.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah I don’t get the high stack height thing. If you look at Leo or his team riders they are not high stacking.
Yeah, Or every world cup dh rider.

I think it might be a preferred preference for either really tall dudes or dudes that like to cruise or maybe they don't ride up stuff that's so steep that your bike loops out in front of you. Either way its not for me. I've de-stacked and i'm happy. Its now about the same height as my dh bike.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

I think it might be a preferred preference for either really tall dudes or dudes that like to cruise or maybe they don't ride up stuff that's so steep that your bike loops out in front of you. Either way its not for me. I've de-stacked and i'm happy. Its now about the same height as my dh bike.
There are World Cup riders with a tall stack. Dakota Norton and Greg Minnaar to just to name a couple. And I have some super steep stuff that I ride up with no problem with a tall stack. But I also have a dual crown, so maybe that helps. I’ve always liked a tall stack though. I think maybe it’s from having a moto background. Either way, it comes down to rider preference and riding style. Different strokes, as long as you’re happy with your setup and it works for you is all that matters.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area

1. All recommendation bets are off if you mullet a Voima. It changes the seat angle, COG and where you sit in the box. And that will affect its uphill ability.
  2. There is a difference between stack and rise changes as to how they affect reach and where you are over the bars. One shortens the bike and the other doesn't. Use the stack for tuning and bar rise for settling on a configuration (unless you have a wheelhouse full or bars at varies rises). Both Seb Scott and Rob in there reviews intimate a higher rise (Rob uses 50mm).
  3. Many professional reviews talk about Voima being the best uphill emtb ever. There's a reason for this and it has to do with the front end being very planted on steep uphills (due to its specific geometry) and as such can as easily tolerate 10 or 20mm stack/rise increase without "looping out". Something else is afoot here.

For Sh!ts and giggles, slap a 29er on the back for a ride or two and see what happens.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
  1. All recommendation bets are off if you mullet a Voima. It changes the seat angle, COG and where you sit in the box. And that will affect its uphill ability.
  2. There is a difference between stack and rise changes as to how they affect reach and where you are over the bars. One shortens the bike and the other doesn't. Use the stack for tuning and bar rise for settling on a configuration (unless you have a wheelhouse full or bars at varies rises). Both Seb Scott and Rob in there reviews intimate a higher rise (Rob uses 50mm).
  3. Many professional reviews talk about Voima being the best uphill emtb ever. There's a reason for this and it has to do with the front end being very planted on steep uphills (due to its specific geometry) and as such can as easily tolerate 10 or 20mm stack/rise increase without "looping out". Something else is afoot here.

For Sh!ts and giggles, slap a 29er on the back for a ride or two and see what happens.
I reckon the stupid good uphill is the to the 80 deg seat angle and longer chain stay setting you further forward c of g than what you would otherwise be.

I will also admit that mulleting will have reduced the climbing ability a bit due to extra slackness and made it not quite as good on the flat xc tracks. But I dont care. Because when you point it down hill over the stupid steep tech it all makes sense.

I'm not changing it back to 29 rear. I'm not interested. Muller is the spec that I want and the set up for the riding I like best.

Paris Doo

Jun 20, 2022
Greece
I wish there was a bit more clarity from Pole regarding existing product life cycle & new product introduction so buyers would be able to make informed decisions.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
If I hadn’t just bought the new race ID Voima, I’d buy the new new Sonni DH with the race motor. But I’m not sure about the downtube not being even with the motor where they meet. The motor hanging down lower than the downtube seems like it would bring you to a sudden stop when trying to clear large obstacles, like a log for instance. As it sits, I think I’ll just enjoy the shit out of my Voima until the Sonni comes with the new Pinion motor with integrated transmission, belt drive and auto shifting, or the future Bosch equivalent.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
If I hadn’t just bought the new race ID Voima, I’d buy the new new Sonni DH with the race motor. But I’m not sure about the downtube not being even with the motor where they meet. The motor hanging down lower than the downtube seems like it would bring you to a sudden stop when trying to clear large obstacles, like a log for instance. As it sits, I think I’ll just enjoy the shit out of my Voima until the Sonni comes with the new Pinion motor with integrated transmission, belt drive and auto shifting, or the future Bosch equivalent.
My non-engineer read on the new DH platform design is that Pole has kept all the structure and kinematics above the “waterline” of the motor / BB location in order to separate church and state so to speak. The lack of overlap means the platform can accommodate motor or no motor without re-engineering pivots, supports, etc. Pretty useful. I think the overall frame design aesthetic is going to be more liked by the general public, but it does leave the motor/BB hanging a bit low visually. I think somebody mentioned grandpa’s balls (?).

Very stoked on my Voima ID so no real purchase interest, but based on Leo & Onni’s results on the platform it’s clearly legit.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
My non-engineer read on the new DH platform design is that Pole has kept all the structure and kinematics above the “waterline” of the motor / BB location in order to separate church and state so to speak. The lack of overlap means the platform can accommodate motor or no motor without re-engineering pivots, supports, etc. Pretty useful. I think the overall frame design aesthetic is going to be more liked by the general public, but it does leave the motor/BB hanging a bit low visually. I think somebody mentioned grandpa’s balls (?).

Very stoked on my Voima ID so no real purchase interest, but based on Leo & Onni’s results on the platform it’s clearly legit.
I like the mullet and geo options. But that dangling dogs ball of a motor might be a deal breaker for me. I'll be honest it's not the best from a design perspective. I'f you have a bad case you could tear the motor off and or severely injure yourself.

It needs a radiused transition with a skid pad to slid over and not hook up on rocks/roots.

Plus the c of g is raised due to a high battery. Voima is far better design in that regard.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I like the mullet and geo options. But that dangling dogs ball of a motor might be a deal breaker for me. I'll be honest it's not the best from a design perspective. I'f you have a bad case you could tear the motor off and or severely injure yourself.

It needs a radiused transition with a skid pad to slid over and not hook up on rocks/roots.

Plus the c of g is raised due to a high battery. Voima is far better design in that regard.
My thoughts exactly. Also the Voima has more clearance from the chain than the Onni/Sonni which looks like you would get plenty of chain slap on the lower swingarm link.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Can we flip the shock yokes to get the reservoir on the other side?

I’m right foot forward and that sucka jabs me in the calf on deep landings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles