Pike ultimate or Lyrik ultimate ?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Got a choice. I need a spare fork for when the fox 36 that came with the bike goes to service. Both the same price.
Choice and reasons.
Bike is currently 160/150, and the pike i can get in 150, the lyrik in 160. I believe the lyrik is stiffer and more supple, so im leaning towards that one. But i hear a lot about the pike and was wondering what exactly the differences are ? Internals etc etc ?

Plus the lyrik comes in red :D

Also they both have more offset, but tbh i dont think thats going to matter that much really.

Last question - What difference does the crown outside diameter make ?. Am i setting myself up here for problems as i think its different from my current set up.

eg The headset on the bike is this -
Acros Blocklock / Tapered 1.5"-1 1/8"
OD 52/62mm / ID 44/56mm

The lyrik says crown OD - 59
The pike says crown - 58
I have to admit im a bit clueless on this measurement.

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If you go for the 2023 versions, they are both a massive upgrade.
Pike is low length and Lyrik is longer - so the Lyrik fits your 150mm best.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Pike is lighter than Lyrik, would say 150mm would be best limit on Pike
I have a Yari RC picked up cheap for the HT & dropped in a Novy Splug making it better than the Lyrik Ultimate 😂

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
There's an air spring upgrade for the Pike Ultimate which has a 160mm option. I have it on my '22 Rail which took my Pike to 160mm which works nicely with the Rail.

For example: 2021 C1 Debonair Air Spring Upgrade Kits Lyrik/Yari, Pike/Revelation 2018+

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Im not looking tto add an upgraded spring, and tbh on an ultimate fork everything should be max quality, not something that needs upgraded further..

But also what about the rest. The OD thing :? the offset differences ? What does that mean in real time.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Got a choice. I need a spare fork for when the fox 36 that came with the bike goes to service. Both the same price.

The Lyric is a higher-end fork than the Pike. I'd be leaning toward that. The offset is going to affect your handling, so you don't want to deviate too much from whatever came on the bike. Get too short, and the handling will get twitchy like Hunter Biden in the middle of a coke binge. Get too long, and it will wallow like Rosie O'Donnell in line at the Hometown Buffet. The diameter of your bearings, both inside and outside for both top and bottom, need to match your frame, your fork, and your headset.

Don't be put off with the Pike, if that's the one that will fit better for your bike. I run a Pike Ultimate on one of my bikes, and it handles pretty darned good.

I'm a little curious why you want to buy another fork. How long is it going to take to get your existing fork serviced? It's not a big deal to do it yourself with common tools. The biggest inconvenience is taking it off the bike. You can do it yourself on a Saturday morning and save the cost of labor and shipping.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'm a little curious why you want to buy another fork. How long is it going to take to get your existing fork serviced? It's not a big deal to do it yourself with common tools. The biggest inconvenience is taking it off the bike. You can do it yourself on a Saturday morning and save the cost of labor and shipping.
Because I cant walk without pain, so the bike is the only way i can get about without pain. So I cant do without it for any length of time, and sending a fork in to TF or whomever is going to take time. Doing a service when i dont know what im doing is also going to take time. Time i cant afford to stay confined to the house. How do i shop ?. So a 2nd fork is a requirement really.

After a year the fork does need a service, even if im just following Fox's advice, maybe even it doesnt need it. But if it does and you leave it and leave it, you'll screw up the fork or cause premature wear. So its easier to pop on a different fork and keep going, then i can look to have it serviced, or make the attempt myself.
I could ask you, why are you for example having a kitchen made, or a new mantelpiece or a new dining table and chairs when making such things is dead easy. Yes, easy for me, but maybe not for yourself, even though the techniques needed are kind of basic, but also maybe a daunting prospect as its possible you've never attempted such things before, and will be put off from making the attempt. If you follow what im meaning.

I could even throw out the mountain analogy, and say the reason I want to buy another fork is because I can. But the truth is i want another forky, for the reasons above

Last edited:

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
May i ask why the change in make when you could always get the same make and model fox fork so keeping it less complicated

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles