Upgrading 2018 Pike to 2020 Lyric Ultimate - Is it worth it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm jealous, that is smooth ! Really like the camera angle, much better than the last one, gives you a much better idea of how the bike is moving in comparison the ground (not that the ground is moving). I think there's scope for a second video, with a glass of beer attached to the handlebars to show how truly smooth it is ! Not sure about the second camera angle, I'm going to have nightmares about being chased by a giant wheel..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Impossible to say from your video Karsten.
I'd need to ride the fork before servicing and then again after on the same trail to make any comment of value but from what you've just said. Yes. You've definitely improved your fork's small bump response.
As for can it be better? Sounds like you've done a great job servicing it and reducing friction so all that's left is your settings. And personal settings are ALL a compromise. changing one thing will always affect another in some way (and often detrimental). As I said. I value support and consistency over small bump response on all my forks. it's just a symptom of how I like to ride. (always stood up, fairly aggressively and playful and ready to pop/pump off anything and everything rather than looking for ultimate smoothness from small hits or ultimate grip/comfort)

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Impossible to say from your video Karsten.
I'd need to ride the fork before servicing and then again after on the same trail to make any comment of value but from what you've just said. Yes. You've definitely improved your fork's small bump response.
As for can it be better? Sounds like you've done a great job servicing it and reducing friction so all that's left is your settings. And personal settings are ALL a compromise. changing one thing will always affect another in some way (and often detrimental). As I said. I value support and consistency over small bump response on all my forks. it's just a symptom of how I like to ride. (always stood up, fairly aggressively and playful and ready to pop/pump off anything and everything rather than looking for ultimate smoothness from small hits or ultimate grip/comfort)
Thanks Gary and agree that settings are very personal. In my case it’s also driven by my personal health situation as I cannot do big drops/jumps as I will simply loose grip on the handlebar. Even as much I want to the pain from the unplanned dismount have taught me a lesson more than once?

Karsten

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I swapped out my pikes straight away for the lyrics I had on my Hightower. My Hightower actually feels better with the pikes in it. I had fox factory 36 before and really didn’t get on with them. Found them mega harsh, I think this years are better but still see people saying there harsh.

My lyrics feel amazing but if I put say 5-10psi extra psi in tyres when riding in the lakes I can defo feel there not as plush or Myb the hard but due to tyre pressure the feedback can be felt more. I’m 100kg plus gear and I got some eargon fat grips and they have helped me no end.
Hiring a shockwiz can be helpful but a forks setting is very personal. Ride the same trail over and over adjusting settings but you need to set an average imo to cope with all the different trails

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Just to round it up, I had a couple of more rides with the fork and it is still acting up quite good. As a consequence I have decided to stick to the Pike but have the new Charger 2.1 RC2 on order together with a MRP Ramp control unit. That means that I will basically have the fork upgraded to the 2020 Pike Ultimate specification and more or less exact same internals as the equivalent 2020 Lyrik.

I will come back with more feedback when I have the new setup dialled in and BTW I now have a Charger 2 RCT3 damper unit for sale together with a non-Debonair air shaft giving 160 mm of travel. That would fit into any 2018+ Rockshox Revelation/Pike and be a significant upgrade to expecially the Revelation with the old RC damper unit.

Karsten

MALENZ

Jul 11, 2019
On the trail
My 2018 Canyon Spectral:On 7.0 came with a 29“ Lyrik RC 150mm with Debonair spring.

The serial no. starts with 07T8 so I guess it is a 2018 fork with Charger 1 and „old“ Debonair spring. My plan is basically to upgrade to a 2020 Lyrik RC2 Ultimate with160mm.

I have a Charger 2.1 RC2 and 160mm Upgrade Kit on Order together the new SKF wiper seals and a bottle Maxima Plush 3WT oil. By the way, bike-discount.de currently has the Charger 2.1 RC2 upgrade kit on offer for 259€ if anyone is interested ;-)

Does anyone know if the Charger 2.1 in the upgrade kit already comes filled with Maxima Plush 3WT or just with standard 3WT?

I guess it is advisable to bleed the Charger before installing. I do have a Charger bleed kit here. Do I need any additional Lyrik service kit?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
My 2018 Canyon Spectral:On 7.0 came with a 29“ Lyrik RC 150mm with Debonair spring.

The serial no. starts with 07T8 so I guess it is a 2018 fork with Charger 1 and „old“ Debonair spring. My plan is basically to upgrade to a 2020 Lyrik RC2 Ultimate with160mm.

I have a Charger 2.1 RC2 and 160mm Upgrade Kit on Order together the new SKF wiper seals and a bottle Maxima Plush 3WT oil. By the way, bike-discount.de currently has the Charger 2.1 RC2 upgrade kit on offer for 259€ if anyone is interested ;-)

Does anyone know if the Charger 2.1 in the upgrade kit already comes filled with Maxima Plush 3WT or just with standard 3WT?

I guess it is advisable to bleed the Charger before installing. I do have a Charger bleed kit here. Do I need any additional Lyrik service kit?
The new Charger 2.1 do come with Maxima oil as well as the low friction SKF seal. Also, they should come just ready to install in the fork. It’s the same as you don’t have to do service on a brand new fork. My setup arrives today and I’ll do the upgrade this evening.

Karsten

MALENZ

Jul 11, 2019
On the trail
Thanks Karsten, that’s good news.

I was afraid I have to change the oil. If all the parts are ready for use you just have to follow the available Charger 2 upgrade service manual I guess.

My parts hopefully arrive on Saturday.

Matthias

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks Karsten, that’s good news.

I was afraid I have to change the oil. If all the parts are ready for use you just have to follow the available Charger 2 upgrade service manual I guess.

My parts hopefully arrive on Saturday.

Matthias
It’s very easy and you can actually perform the change with fork still on the bike. If you already have a charger 2.0 then place the fork level and undo the bolt underneath the right fork leg, undo the damper at the top and pull it up/out. Then carefully slide new damper unit in and tighten it at the top/bottom to torque specs. If you manage to do it without losing any oil you are good to go. If it is the old RC damper lower legs has to come off.

Karsten

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I suggest you to tune the LSC almost all open, only 10% of the clicks available from all open, like if it has less than ten clicks, turn just one or two from open. Same with the rebound, try setting 30% clicks from all open. Doing this and setting sag at 30% results in a very compliant fork for small chatter to me.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I had enough of the teeth-chattering front end on my ‘19 Spesh Turbo Levo Comp so I upgraded the damper in the Revelation fork to a Charger 2.1 RC2. For all practical purposes it’s now a Pike Ultimate.

RockShox Charger2.1 RC2 Damper Upgrade Kit, fits 27.5"/29" Pike (B1+/2018+)

The ride is noticeably smoother over rough chattery stuff and it tracks better. Way more confidence inspiring. Before upgrading I experimented with fewer volume reducers than the 2 installed. It helped but even with none it was harsher than I’d like.

Install was simple. Remove bolt under rebound knob, drain lower leg oil, unscrew damper from the top. Install in reverse but with 10 ml fresh oil. As someone else said, If you’re careful you might not lose any oil and can skip that.

It’s not cheap but way less than a new fork. You can also get the RCT3 version that has the firm pedaling lever for fewer $ but I didn’t want to compromise the downhill capabilities.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I had enough of the teeth-chattering front end on my ‘19 Spesh Turbo Levo Comp so I upgraded the damper in the Revelation fork to a Charger 2.1 RC2. For all practical purposes it’s now a Pike Ultimate.

RockShox Charger2.1 RC2 Damper Upgrade Kit, fits 27.5"/29" Pike (B1+/2018+)

The ride is noticeably smoother over rough chattery stuff and it tracks better. Way more confidence inspiring. Before upgrading I experimented with fewer volume reducers than the 2 installed. It helped but even with none it was harsher than I’d like.

Install was simple. Remove bolt under rebound knob, drain lower leg oil, unscrew damper from the top. Install in reverse but with 10 ml fresh oil. As someone else said, If you’re careful you might not lose any oil and can skip that.

It’s not cheap but way less than a new fork. You can also get the RCT3 version that has the firm pedaling lever for fewer $ but I didn’t want to compromise the downhill capabilities.

I did the Charger 2.1 and also changed it to 160mm. Now it's super nice!

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I did the Charger 2.1 and also changed it to 160mm. Now it's super nice!
Did you get 160mm by installing this? Is it the same as what came on the fork but 10mm more travel or is it an improved design as well? Don't think I need 160 but if it works better at the same 150 I'd be interested, maybe even go with 160.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles