Used Lyrik Ultimate Charger 2.1 or new Zeb Debonair EMTB

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Recently agreed to buy a used set of Lyrik Ultimate Charger 2.1 from a buddy with both 170 and 180 air shafts (collecting when eventually allowed to move around). Now debating whether to stick with these or buy the sturdier 38mm stanchioned Zeb but the low spec EMTB version.

Going on Focus Jam² (150mm stock) that gets moderate trail use 95% of time. Whilst I may go to the odd bike park I am no hard charger.

I have read about the Zeb being noticeably stiffer than Lyrik et al but not sure whether I would benefit from more stiffness or the better dampers on the Lyrik.

Any real world experience or good
advice gladly received. Ta.

LexC

Nov 28, 2020
Cape Town
If you’re not a big sender the lyric with a charger will be more plush.

I changed from a Yari to a ZEB ultimate recently and found over cobbled roads and gentler rock gardens they feel about the same. (Remember this is a yari with no charger damper)

Once the rock gardens get more intense the ZEB immediately wins buy a large margin.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Better damper, assuming forks are in good condition. Lyriks are hardly flexy. I can’t tell difference between Pike and Yari stiffness on two of my bikes, but I can tell difference in the dampers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As the owner of both forks in the ultimate versions, I would say the advantages of the Zeb over the Lyrik are only really noticeable in longer travel set ups where the added stiffness of the Zeb becomes tangible.

At 150mm I would go for a Lyric over a Zeb, and IMO the quality of a better dampener will be more apparent than the stiffer fork

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Thanks for the good advice. Was my gut feeling but struggling to resist the "bigger" "newer" is better urges.

Am I going to seriously screw up the geo of the bike running them with the included170mm airspring or is it worth a try before buying a shorter travel (160?) Spring?

LexC

Nov 28, 2020
Cape Town
Thanks for the good advice. Was my gut feeling but struggling to resist the "bigger" "newer" is better urges.

Am I going to seriously screw up the geo of the bike running them with the included170mm airspring or is it worth a try before buying a shorter travel (160?) Spring?

If your bike has a flip chip or similar in the rear, set it to the high position and it will keep your geo’s pretty similar if you add 10mm travel upfront, as the flip chip usually allows you to adjust head angle by 0.5 degrees in most cases.

On average it’s safe to assume that 10mm more travel up front is ~0.5 degrees slacker head angle.

I would say ride it on 170mm and if you don’t like it consider changing.

For what it’s worth I’ve moved from 160mm up front to 180mm on a Rail, and by adjusting the flip chip it feels very similar to how it did at 160mm.

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
If your bike has a flip chip or similar in the rear, set it to the high position and it will keep your geo’s pretty similar if you add 10mm travel upfront, as the flip chip usually allows you to adjust head angle by 0.5 degrees in most cases.

On average it’s safe to assume that 10mm more travel up front is ~0.5 degrees slacker head angle.

I would say ride it on 170mm and if you don’t like it consider changing.

For what it’s worth I’ve moved from 160mm up front to 180mm on a Rail, and by adjusting the flip chip it feels very similar to how it did at 160mm.

No flip chip unfortunately. The bike was supplied as 650B+ with 29er forks now gone to regular 27.5 so not sure if that will help me out?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Having recently changed bikes , old one had a lyric new one has zeb The first I noticed was the the zeb was more plush , And how much more direct and accurate my steering was on my favourite decent that has some narrow ruts and berms .
Perhaps the new bike being a 29er helped and it’s probably a better chassis But I think what Iam really noticing is the stiffer fork . I’ve heard few of the very quick racers say that the new thicker forks both zeb and fox have been a game changer for them mainly due to less flex

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Sorry I misread you original post, I though you where looking to install another 150mm fork.

At 170/180mm the offence between the two forks is noticeable, but at the same time I would rather have a top end longer travel Lyric than a basic Zeb due to the damper.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles