Boxxer select or zeb ultimate 180

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Aprox the same price. Bike is Cannondale Moterra. Which one would you go for and why

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Boxxer is a way better fork for a small increase in weight. Turning with the +10 crowns is not an issue. With the 0 offset crowns 180+ switchbacks can still be done, but sometimes hits the stops.

The select damper is terrible. The damping is subpar when they work and complete crap when the plastic parts start to fall apart internally.

Bottom line is the they is no substitute for a DH fork in feel and control.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Thanks. Kinda what I was thinking. Probably need the charger 2.1 damper sooner rather than later then it should be primo I am hoping. It does put the cost up significantly however which may swing things back in favour of the Zeb

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Double crown forks are good for downhill only. Period.
Hiya Orangie
Just wondering if you had any experience with duel crown and if so what were the negatives. One thing I do like is being able to increase the travel without overly increasing the A2C length

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
The boxxer will never develop a csu creak. I bet the zeb will. Boxxer every time for me.
Especially with the 2.1 damper which seem to have gotten really expensive over the past few years.
I recon a new boxxer is imminent once they have depleted current stock levels, then there may be some bargains to be had on the current model.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
If going Boxxer route put a Novy Splug in there far superior to 2.1 charger etc it’s also tuned to your weight & riding style & cheaper

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I have an Avalanche damper in my Boxxer select and it's the best thing ever. I find that the added 200 grams is nothing on the climbs or any other time and the added stiffness and increase in control on rough DH sections is huge.

Weight is the only trade off for better handling and more control.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Just thought I would update. Boxxer is a revelation. So direct and so much control. Almost like having a get out of jail free card. Highly recommended. No idea what the knockers are on about. Imo superior in everyday although did take a bit to get them set up the way I like. Select damper works fine but it is critical to get the volume spaces correct. I am running 3. Quite easy to have too much rebound also but once sorted it's magic

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Wait until your Select damper starts acting up then get a custom one. It will blow your mind how much better it can be.
I would not get a charger 2.1 or whatever best damper they offer. For the same price you can get something tuned to you.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Wait until your Select damper starts acting up then get a custom one. It will blow your mind how much better it can be.
I would not get a charger 2.1 or whatever best damper they offer. For the same price you can get something tuned to you.
Cheers. Thanks for the advice. I will talk to Jonno at suspension lab and see what he recommends but so far it's doing the job pretty dam well so I am pretty excited to think it can be dramatically improved. I have a mate who i ride with regularly just fitted a boxxer ultimate to his levo so it will be interesting to feel the difference when we swap bikes one day in the future

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Just thought I would update. Boxxer is a revelation. So direct and so much control. Almost like having a get out of jail free card. Highly recommended. No idea what the knockers are on about. Imo superior in everyday although did take a bit to get them set up the way I like. Select damper works fine but it is critical to get the volume spaces correct. I am running 3. Quite easy to have too much rebound also but once sorted it's magic
As the owner of a Kenevo Expert( comes with the Boxxer in the USA) I think I might have some input. I took the bike out for 10 rides and realized the really bad increase in the turning radius with a duel crown fork was an issue on the trails. I did 2 things, I bought a rockshox Domain 29er 180mm fork and I picked up a 200mm air shaft for the Boxxer. Now I have a full size Boxxer for the bike park and a very stiff single crown 180mm fork for trail riding. Is the Boxxer stiffer than the Domain? Yup. Which do I prefer to ride? The Domain, I think the thicker 6061 alloy fork legs add a degree of damping In the chatter just like high end handle bars ride better than super stiff stock bars. JMO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles