Pic of the Day

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
After spending a month in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) thought I would post a couple of pics from the trip. We rented e-bikes for the month that were mostly tanks with rear hub drives and anytime I went near a hill it would power out. I have a whole new appreciation for my old levo. Each morning I would ride the circumference of the island (31.5 km) one day clockwise the next day counterclockwise in an effort to rationalize all the beer that would be consumed the rest of the day with the only priority going to the fresh fish store and choosing either a cut of Mahi Mahi, wahoo, or yellow fin tuna to BBQ at sundown. The only danger on this island are the coconuts thudding to the ground and another reason to actually wear the lid. Well that and dodging the free range chickens where the roosters start crowing at 3 in the morning! View attachment 137303 View attachment 137302 View attachment 137301 View attachment 137300 View attachment 137299
You had me sold on Mahi Mahi, Wahoo and YF Tuna!!

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
So has it an arrow ? . Normally sram I use but I put a shimano chain on a week ago been out twice . Jumping on cassette but that could be worn. Just clicked on link will have a look the morn.
No arrows, just has 'Shimano' etched on the outside plates.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Nosey little bastards, Robins.
Oh no, Mr. Chainbuster! Lovely little birds with a great attitude, have one singing at my home duetts with a blackbird, defending his place when I come to close.

Fun fact on the pic: A Robin (german Rotkehlchen) on a Schwalbe tire (germ. Schwalbe means engl. Swallow bird). Very nice pic! 👍

pxl_20231125_152330372-2-jpg.137297

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
@Twin Valleys
„Well that and dodging the free range chickens where the roosters start crowing at 3 in the morning!“

These might still have a jetlag in the genetic mindset to Greenwich Time as being originally imported by the british conquerers. 😉😂

Great trip. Thank you very much for sharing! 👍

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
So has it an arrow ? . Normally sram I use but I put a shimano chain on a week ago been out twice . Jumping on cassette but that could be worn. Just clicked on link will have a look the morn.
Like this:

@RustyMTB A comment from a guy in a german forum, what sounds reasonable to me:
„Since I have been dealing with chains and that have been for many years, the tooth width of the pinion has not changed. However, in order to accommodate more and more sprockets on the same width, the tabs on the chain became narrower and narrower and thus the sprocket distances smaller, so that 12 sprockets finally fit next to one another.
Of course, the thinner tabs also offer less and less space to accommodate the collar of the rivet head.
If 2, 3 or even 4 steps are now switched down almost at the same time, then the chain is strongly bent laterally to climb onto the larger sprockets. You have to do this on the mounting stand: Switch 4 clicks to a smaller gear on half a crank turn and look at the result. It gets scared and anxious. If a full chain hoist is added, then the tab is pulled a bit on the side of the rivet head or even directly all the way down. If she has only hiked a bit, then there is a noise during the chain run-through and it's worth stopping and looking. Maybe you can push the tab back or better put the chain lock * in right away.
The result of 30 years of chain service is that 90% of the defect happens due to a pulled down flap and <10% it is broken bolt or broken flap.
Of course, a swirled stone can also hit the chain on the chainring and damage the rivet connection or a small stone gets between the pinion and the chain and also pushes the tab a bit outwards.
That's why it's good to pay attention to noise on the chain drive and always have a multi-tool with rivet function and a chain lock * with you.“

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Like this:

@RustyMTB A comment from a guy in a german forum, what sounds reasonable to me:
„Since I have been dealing with chains and that have been for many years, the tooth width of the pinion has not changed. However, in order to accommodate more and more sprockets on the same width, the tabs on the chain became narrower and narrower and thus the sprocket distances smaller, so that 12 sprockets finally fit next to one another.
Of course, the thinner tabs also offer less and less space to accommodate the collar of the rivet head.
If 2, 3 or even 4 steps are now switched down almost at the same time, then the chain is strongly bent laterally to climb onto the larger sprockets. You have to do this on the mounting stand: Switch 4 clicks to a smaller gear on half a crank turn and look at the result. It gets scared and anxious. If a full chain hoist is added, then the tab is pulled a bit on the side of the rivet head or even directly all the way down. If she has only hiked a bit, then there is a noise during the chain run-through and it's worth stopping and looking. Maybe you can push the tab back or better put the chain lock * in right away.
The result of 30 years of chain service is that 90% of the defect happens due to a pulled down flap and <10% it is broken bolt or broken flap.
Of course, a swirled stone can also hit the chain on the chainring and damage the rivet connection or a small stone gets between the pinion and the chain and also pushes the tab a bit outwards.
That's why it's good to pay attention to noise on the chain drive and always have a multi-tool with rivet function and a chain lock * with you.“
If I wasn't confused before I am now. On my shimano chain the writing on it changes direction from left to right and right to left every three or four links . I have a new one still in box so read the instructions. Only thing it says is outer arrow must face forwards 🤔 . But that speil from the German lad is understandable. I'm I really in so much of a hurry that I need to multiply shift I don't think so. Edit on one side of chain there is no writing at all.

Last edited:

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
If I wasn't confused before I am now. On my shimano chain the writing on it changes direction from left to right and right to left every three or four links . I have a new one still in box so read the instructions. Only thing it says is outer arrow must face forwards

The plates with the logo/writing need to be on the "outside", so you'd see them when looking at the right-side of the bike. The quick-link (if supplied/used) will have an arrow that must point forward.

This pic might help: https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/assets/full/CN-M6100.jpg?20210923202646

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Havent used a Shimano chain for a long time i usually get trade price Sram from a dealer. But I always went with Arrow forward . I wonder what the difference is between outside and inside on Shimano they look the same to me . If you end for end it the inside arrow which faces backwards is now pointing forwards. Sram has writing on both sides . In my Shimano instructions it mentions arrow pointing to rotation direction for arrow but doesn't actually mention the writing . But someone posted instructions which quotes the writing to the outside. Turns out mine is on the right way anyway . I need a drink now I think.

20240331_113223.jpg

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Havent used a Shimano chain for a long time i usually get trade price Sram from a dealer. But I always went with Arrow forward . I wonder what the difference is between outside and inside on Shimano they look the same to me . If you end for end it the inside arrow which faces backwards is now pointing forwards. Sram has writing on both sides . In my Shimano instructions it mentions arrow pointing to rotation direction for arrow but doesn't actually mention the writing . But someone posted instructions which quotes the writing to the outside. Turns out mine is on the right way anyway . I need a drink now I think.

View attachment 137337
If you find something to read on the chain it should be fine, otherwise switch inside out.

Outside = Aussenseite
Innside = Innenseite

IMG_3149.png

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I love that this topic is mostly gorgeous pictures but occasionally veers off into technical discussions of the finer points of mountain bike tech. And that I'm often guilty of kicking it off. 😁

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
After a week of rain we got a dry one today. Heavy rain the morn again. Will it ever end 😢 .

Not according to the long-range weather forecast! It looks like there is a conveyor belt out in the Atlantic bringing an endless supply of rain for as far ahead as can be seen. It will still be raining in the Summer, but at least it will be warm!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles