Pic of the Day

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
One of them is in the video (just before the forest section) and the other I walked down the first time, and rode the second. I was a bit wary being on my own… but I passed a guy on the way up, so figured there would be someone coming behind me shortly 😂
Yes I know the feeling I was solo and it was 5pm . Too easy to fall off .

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
Made a ride out to what people around here call "The Columns". Pretty cool formation.
Columns 1.jpg
Columns 2.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref my previous post #10760, last Saturday. I was there again today and the bike has gone. It's a good job too because that mud flat was under water! Yesterday's rain was heavy and for most of the day.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Off-piste at Sherwood Pines today. During World War One, the area was used for the training of troops in trench warfare (how to live, fight and survive). There are loads of trenches of various sizes and configurations. There are also three defensive ridges about half a mile long, all built by hand I believe. I was riding along the top of one today, there are also many trails that go up and over them.

The ridge in the picture below is about 30 feet high on the downslope (to the left) and maybe 18 feet on the upslope.

The idea was that the enemy would approach, with the defenders hiding behind the ridge. It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. If the enemy kept coming, grenades would be thrown and in the ensuing chaos, the defenders would retreat to a second ridge. Fellow defenders already in place behind the second ridge would be on overwatch. If the enemy kept coming, the 'grenade and run' tactic was used again. There was a third ridge! I have tried to imagine what it must have been like, and failed to summon the true horror; it must have been hell for an attacker. :eek:

Enough of the military tactics - they were used by the Romans, so it's well established and has certainly stood the test of time.

When the war ended in 1918, the Army abandoned the area and in 1919 it was taken over by the Forestry Commision who promptly planted pine trees all over it.

In the pic below, the steep drop is to the left, which was once used by one of the XC qualifying races for the 2012 Olympics. The trail went left and down in front of the tree my bike is pointing at. It was steep, rooty, rutted and very dry and dusty, or very slippy! That trail has now been destroyed by the Forestry Commission because they re-routed the blue route along the bottom of the drop and they didn't want high speed, potentially out of control, riders colliding with those on the blue route. The off-piste route now goes to the right of the tree, down into the gulley and diagonally up the face of the second ridge. Not many succeed in ascending it cleanly at the first attempt.

Ridge.jpg

Last edited:

Chaboi

Sep 4, 2023
Wa
New bike all built up! Sadly not ridden yet she’s at her ride wrap appointment and I won’t be able to ride for a few days. First impression post to follow likely on Monday. Going to be testing super deluxe ultimate air vs coil back to back. Still need to remove the reflectors. I can’t believe they even came with them.

IMG_5780.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
A couple of days in the bush.
Took it fairly easy as if come to grief out here, no one will find you until the buzzards start circling ☠️
View attachment 124874 View attachment 124875 View attachment 124876

Being spring, wildflowers are starting to emerge
View attachment 124877 View attachment 124878 View attachment 124879 View attachment 124880

A few locals out enjoying the sun

G'day Skip
View attachment 124881
View attachment 124883
View attachment 124882
Did you sleep 😴 outside or go home to bed.

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Off-piste at Sherwood Pines today. During World War One, the area was used for the training of troops in trench warfare (how to live, fight and survive). There are loads of trenches of various sizes and configurations. There are also three defensive ridges about half a mile long, all built by hand I believe. I was riding along the top of one today, there are also many trails that go up and over them.
I regularly ride Tunnel Hill over at Pirbright/Deepcut... a military training area. There are quite a lot of trenches that were apparently created by the army around 1917/18 for training. Many of these can be ridden and it's good fun riding with the high banks of the trenches both side of you as they undulate up/down around the hills... the only downside is that they tend to accumulate a lot of forest debris.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I regularly ride Tunnel Hill over at Pirbright/Deepcut... a military training area. There are quite a lot of trenches that were apparently created by the army around 1917/18 for training. Many of these can be ridden and it's good fun riding with the high banks of the trenches both side of you as they undulate up/down around the hills... the only downside is that they tend to accumulate a lot of forest debris.
Lot of history there my man enjoy it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Couple of hours north of home so I grabbed a motel near by, too old & grumpy to sleep on the ground these days
Too many insects love my blood. I got 12 ticks the other week and midgie bites all over. The only good thing about winter is the lack of wee beasties.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles