Pic of the Day

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
How the hell is there dust kicking up off Lou's back wheel !?😲
Muddy slop in Northumberland ...probably for the next 6 months 🙁

It’s been muddy at the start & ends of trails and sloppy in the open parts of trails but still dry and in some cases dusty in the cover of the trees . Don’t think it’ll last much longer though, once the ground becomes saturated

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Riding for the last few times this year, winter is about to kick in here in Canada.

Lots of fun and pretty hot weather these last few days!
Ride1.jpg

Ride2.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
What width are those bars?
It's probably an optical illusion, but they look like commuter width!
Mmmmm your not the 1st to mention my lack of width ( bars ) but they are 760 !!
What are the benefits of going bigger like 800 ? As I just feel it will risk clipping more stuff and my shoulders still haven't recovered fully from my last 2 offs lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Yep that's the place, quite a few options once you are up Gallowsclough road.
Thin grey line and Are you local start from the Wildbank triangulation point.
There is another good run if you carry on going up Gallowsclough without turning off up to trig, you need to go across the fields just after the farm ( small gate just on your right ) this leads you down too and joins onto the lower parts of each of the trig runs.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mmmmm your not the 1st to mention my lack of width ( bars ) but they are 760 !!
What are the benefits of going bigger like 800 ? As I just feel it will risk clipping more stuff and my shoulders still haven't recovered fully from my last 2 offs lol.
They look narrower (I said it might be an optical illusion). My current bike is 780, my last bike was 760 and the two before that were 740. In my opinion, 760 is a 100% normal width bar. My 5'9" 15-years old grandson has always preferred a wide bar and his are 800, as was his last bike bought when he was just over 13! I first went wide quite a few years ago now when I went from 660 to 720 and my first problem (imaginary as it turned out) was getting through the trees at Cannock (UK). Many of the tree gaps had gouges in them caused by all the wider bars hitting them at speed. My mate said not to worry as he had 740mm and he wasn't hitting them! My grandson got through there OK too, but I reckon the gouges had got deeper by the time he had a go. :D

As for the benefits...
You will have more leverage to resist the deflecting forces exerted on the front wheel by rocks and roots. Consequently, your ride is easier and straighter and will feel smoother and less troublesome. There were some rocky downhill bends that I seemed to float through once I went wide. But the wider bars will move your body weight forward. That will contribute to easier climbing but bring you closer to going OTB on the descents. If that is something you discover that you don't like, then you may need to shorten your stem to restore your centre of gravity. Shortening your stem will quicken your steering. If you can't imagine that, then think what the steering would feel like if your stem was 200mm, then how it would feel if it was 20mm! A wider bar also puts your hands at a slightly different angle to the bars. Again, that may be something you like or not. Consider rotating the bars slightly to alter the angle. Still no joy? Then you may have to get bars with a different angle of sweep.

When I got my current bike with its 780, I thought it would be too wide for where I ride (mainly forest) and I was considering reducing to 760 because I knew that width worked. But I thought I should at least try it before such a drastic move. It worked OK and apart from having to do an occasional shimmy to get through the narrower gaps I have kept the width intact.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
They look narrower (I said it might be an optical illusion). My current bike is 780, my last bike was 760 and the two before that were 740. In my opinion, 760 is a 100% normal width bar. My 5'9" 15-years old grandson has always preferred a wide bar and his are 800, as was his last bike bought when he was just over 13! I first went wide quite a few years ago now when I went from 660 to 720 and my first problem (imaginary as it turned out) was getting through the trees at Cannock (UK). Many of the tree gaps had gouges in them caused by all the wider bars hitting them at speed. My mate said not to worry as he had 740mm and he wasn't hitting them! My grandson got through there OK too, but I reckon the gouges had got deeper by the time he had a go. :D

As for the benefits...
You will have more leverage to resist the deflecting forces exerted on the front wheel by rocks and roots. Consequently, your ride is easier and straighter and will feel smoother and less troublesome. There were some rocky downhill bends that I seemed to float through once I went wide. But the wider bars will move your body weight forward. That will contribute to easier climbing but bring you closer to going OTB on the descents. If that is something you discover that you don't like, then you may need to shorten your stem to restore your centre of gravity. Shortening your stem will quicken your steering. If you can't imagine that, then think what the steering would feel like if your stem was 200mm, then how it would feel if it was 20mm! A wider bar also puts your hands at a slightly different angle to the bars. Again, that may be something you like or not. Consider rotating the bars slightly to alter the angle. Still no joy? Then you may have to get bars with a different angle of sweep.

When I got my current bike with its 780, I thought it would be too wide for where I ride (mainly forest) and I was considering reducing to 760 because I knew that width worked. But I thought I should at least try it before such a drastic move. It worked OK and apart from having to do an occasional shimmy to get through the narrower gaps I have kept the width intact.
I'm happy with my 760's and can't get my stem any shorter lol that's why I have riser bars to centre me a bit more.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I also use 760 bars, works for me.

We were out today in T's in 18-20C in Slindon, Bignor etc. Southern England. No pics, sorry, but because as yet having had no frost everything is still green except for ancient plants such as ferns which are hundreds of millions of years old so know what time of year it really is. Was just like above with an amazing tree leaf carpet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles