Pic of the Day

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
May be an image of 11 people, people riding bicycles, people standing, bicycle and outdoors
That is way too big a group to keep track of! Or do you all know the route?
And where is all the anti-snakebite and anti-spider protection? Or is that just my inner Pommie bastard speaking? :ROFLMAO:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Some of those pics look black and white. I just noticed.
Tracks in the snow is almost reassuring. It’s when there’s no tracks it can get kinda creepy.
On a personal note ..I prefer no tracks in the snow ..there's nowt like putting a marker down and knowing nothing is going to ambush you .😱
P.s...our footie team is doing alright so far ..but play like they did in the first half against Senegal when we face France on Saturday and it will be au revoir ..
( someone should tell Stones & Maguire to stop pissing around trying to play out from the back ..ball playing centre backs they are most definitely not !)

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On a personal note ..I prefer no tracks in the snow ..there's nowt like putting a marker down and knowing nothing is going to ambush you .😱
P.s...our footie team is doing alright so far ..but play like they did in the first half against Senegal when we face France on Saturday and it will be au revoir ..
( someone should tell Stones & Maguire to stop pissing around trying to play out from the back ..ball playing centre backs they are most definitely not !)
Can you imagine coming across someone on a clean trail in the snow. That would be creepy! 😨

France will be the uphill battle…hopefully Mbappe has already played his best game…or suffers from KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) belly cramps.
There will be no riding on Saturday.I’ll probably have belly cramps on the edge of my seat.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
That is way too big a group to keep track of! Or do you all know the route?
And where is all the anti-snakebite and anti-spider protection? Or is that just my inner Pommie bastard speaking? :ROFLMAO:

We have had practice at counting the numbers and the ride leader knows the route .
We use the corner system . ie if there is a fork in the trail the 2nd rider in the group waits and points the way . The last rider in the group then lets the corner man know its OK to ride on . As well as frequent stops at intersections to regroup .

Snakes and spiders are not a problem if you don`t venture off the trail ....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
We have had practice at counting the numbers and the ride leader knows the route .
We use the corner system . ie if there is a fork in the trail the 2nd rider in the group waits and points the way . The last rider in the group then lets the corner man know its OK to ride on . As well as frequent stops at intersections to regroup .

Snakes and spiders are not a problem if you don`t venture off the trail ....
I too do frequent headcounts, although I delegate that essential task.
I like the sound of the corner system, but where I do guided rides there are too many corners! What I do is to ask each rider to look after the rider behind. ie to make sure that they rider behind makes the turn. Some of the turns are off the trail and through the tall bracken and you just get swallowed up without trace. If the rider behind didn't see you make the turn, they ride past and everyone else follows! This can easily happen when the trail changes throughout the season and with riders riding there for the first time.

On one ride, I gave my "look after the rider behind" speech, yet within the first five mins of setting off we'd lost half the group! it was 30 mins before we were reunited. :ROFLMAO:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was out today for a quick ride around the local villages. Here is our version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Dry Doddington Church.jpg

That is the church at Dry Doddington in Lincolnshire.
According to my image editing software that is a 6 degree lean, but it looks a lot more.

Edit: The Leaning Tower of Pisa has a 3.99 degree lean and if it gets to 5.44 deg it will collapse. (It is taller though).

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Brrrrrrrrr it was cold today, back giving me loads of jip but just needed to get out for a bit.

Don't let that sunshine fool ya.... It was icy cold today.

I hear you! I have hardly done any miles at all recently. At first it was my regular riding mate off with an OTB (he's still off after 14 weeks) then it was the never-ending rain, then it was a starvation diet for a hospital appointment. Two and a half hours sat on a plastic chair in paper pants "one size fits no-one" in a waiting room the size of a large cupboard and my back reacted badly. In the end I was just missing the bike, so despite my aching back (more than one week now) I went out for a ride. I enjoyed the sensation, but I got bored with riding on tarmac. It was 3degC, but zero in the shade. After nine miles I was done. :cry: But at least the bike was still clean! :)

But on the good side, I have bought new tyres, 12 speed SLX cassette, new Fox gloves for the Summer, new lightweight OneUp chain pliers (so sexy!), new hoodie (70% discount), more wet lube. I have also fitted new pads, bled the brakes, fitted the rear tyre (tubeless), washed and reproofed all my kit. I have also bought (after hours and hours of net surfing) a new full-face helmet for my grandson for Xmas, if only EVRI would deliver the damn thing! (they've had it since 18th Nov). CRC are on the case. I want the delivery not my money back!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I hear you! I have hardly done any miles at all recently. At first it was my regular riding mate off with an OTB (he's still off after 14 weeks) then it was the never-ending rain, then it was a starvation diet for a hospital appointment. Two and a half hours sat on a plastic chair in paper pants "one size fits no-one" in a waiting room the size of a large cupboard and my back reacted badly. In the end I was just missing the bike, so despite my aching back (more than one week now) I went out for a ride. I enjoyed the sensation, but I got bored with riding on tarmac. It was 3degC, but zero in the shade. After nine miles I was done. :cry: But at least the bike was still clean! :)

But on the good side, I have bought new tyres, 12 speed SLX cassette, new Fox gloves for the Summer, new lightweight OneUp chain pliers (so sexy!), new hoodie (70% discount), more wet lube. I have also fitted new pads, bled the brakes, fitted the rear tyre (tubeless), washed and reproofed all my kit. I have also bought (after hours and hours of net surfing) a new full-face helmet for my grandson for Xmas, if only EVRI would deliver the damn thing! (they've had it since 18th Nov). CRC are on the case. I want the delivery not my money back!
Aye auld age disna come itsel they say , and yir only 25 I heard . Get well soon.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I was out today for a quick ride around the local villages. Here is our version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

View attachment 102727

According to my image editing software that is a 6 degree lean, but it looks a lot more.

It looks alright to me Steve......................................had you been drinking again when you took the photo?
Church.png

DNE87

Oct 4, 2022
UK
You realise Pep signed Stones for a team that only plays out from the back because of his ball playing ability, right?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You realise Pep signed Stones for a team that only plays out from the back because of his ball playing ability, right?
Really ?
He must be shitting himself every time he gets the ball then ..however I will concede that his sideway passing along with Maguire's is a wonder to behold ( read : boring as fcuk😴).
As an England fan those two are the weakest links in the team and I'm cringing every time they are pissing around at the back ..fingers crossed for Saturday though 🫰

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
First snow today . Managed to lose a glove between house and van . Only got a few hundred yards stopped the wind last night bent the whins so had to walk under them and push them aside so hands soaked. Didn't get much further hands freezing. Didn't fasten bike on rack properly they were so cold . Six mile drive home and bike nearly off probably at last corner front wheel off rack altogether. Every day a school day.

20221208_124340.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

View attachment 102727

I showed the pic to a couple of really old folk in the village today at our Village Hall Xmas dinner. One asked "Do you know what caused the subsidence and subsequent lean?" She told me that following the Great Plague 1665-6 there were so many bodies buried in the churchyard that the tower subsequently leaned. Wow, that sounds like a lot of bodies in a short space of time
I hadn't heard of the Great Plague, I had thought it was limited to London, but apparently it spread across the country and the current estimate is that it killed 15% of the population. The earlier Black Death of 1348 killed between 30% and 60% of the population of the countries affected. Both outbreaks were what is now known as Bubonic Plague.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I showed the pic to a couple of really old folk in the village today at our Village Hall Xmas dinner. One asked "Do you know what caused the subsidence and subsequent lean?" She told me that following the Great Plague 1665-6 there were so many bodies buried in the churchyard that the tower subsequently leaned. Wow, that sounds like a lot of bodies in a short space of time
I hadn't heard of the Great Plague, I had thought it was limited to London, but apparently it spread across the country and the current estimate is that it killed 15% of the population. The earlier Black Death of 1348 killed between 30% and 60% of the population of the countries affected. Both outbreaks were what is now known as Bubonic Plague.
Yes they had real epidemics in them days . Interesting.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I’ve heard of the area. I’m gonna have to give these trails a try.

Happy to meet you there, or host at my house and ride out. I'm just a few miles away on light and partially groomed trails which is my warmup. There's a parking area just NW of the park that leads to not just the park trails, but a huge playground on the North side of the CAP canal. I have a couple of riding partners who are always up to have another person join us.

I'm no expert, just learning to improve from owning a series of far lesser bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles