Pic of the Day

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Well, Saturday was sloppy and wet and muddy but held some promise so off I went!

Looked good if very wet up at Jubilee Tower...
Jubilee Tower.jpg

Contemplated calling it a day after the first loop as I was sopping wet but thought, No, let's go round again but a slight variation on route - wrong decision!

Full of leaf fall and a hidden branch lying in wait and this happened. :mad:
Broken Hanger.jpg

First broken hanger in 30+ years of riding trails... I think I did well then.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well, Saturday was sloppy and wet and muddy but held some promise so off I went!

View attachment 101873

Contemplated calling it a day after the first loop as I was sopping wet but thought, No, let's go round again but a slight variation on route - wrong decision!

View attachment 101874

Yes I had one 6 month ago same here small piece of wood on beach a hanger and derailleur for me . Bent a few but first broken one in about same amount of years. They don't make stuff like they used to haha

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire

View attachment 101873

View attachment 101874

Was there anyone at he bottom of the Jubilee Tower when you took the picture? Looks like someone on horse back 🤔

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Palm Canyon Epic: It's a noteworthy trail in SoCal that starts in the mountains and drops down into the desert town of Palm Springs. You know, the place where folks like Elvis, Sinatra, Lucille Ball, Liberace, DiCaprio have had homes. That's all boring. The fun stuff is up in the hills where the snakes and lions live. 27 miles, 3000 feet of climbing, 7100 feet of descent.

The drop in is only a little technical, but you can't blow it. Moderate exposure.
IMG_8824.jpeg

Homeboy climbing. It's a little more technical than it looks.
IMG_8839.jpeg

The flora changes from the start in the mountains, as you drop to the desert floor below. The whole ride you need to be aware of the needle-sharp cactus spines. If you ride here, plan on bleeding.
IMG_8861.jpeg

They will sing songs of our victory over the Big Yellow Cat.
IMG_8886.jpeg

The ride started up the canyon, near the visible horizon.
IMG_8887.jpeg

Snowcapped peak is San Gorgonio Mountain, Socal's highest peak at 11,500 feet.
IMG_8901.jpeg

Our trusty steeds, with the City of Palm Springs below. (Actually, it's Cathedral City, neighbor to Palm Springs)
IMG_8904.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Palm Canyon Epic: It's a noteworthy trail in SoCal that starts in the mountains and drops down into the desert town of Palm Springs. You know, the place where folks like Elvis, Sinatra, Lucille Ball, Liberace, DiCaprio have had homes. That's all boring. The fun stuff is up in the hills where the snakes and lions live. 27 miles, 3000 feet of climbing, 7100 feet of descent.

The drop in is only a little technical, but you can't blow it. Moderate exposure.
View attachment 101914

View attachment 101915

The flora changes from the start in the mountains, as you drop to the desert floor below. The whole ride you need to be aware of the needle-sharp cactus spines. If you ride here, plan on bleeding.
View attachment 101916

View attachment 101917

View attachment 101918

View attachment 101919

Our trusty steeds, with the City of Palm Springs below. (Actually, it's Cathedral City, neighbor to Palm Springs)
View attachment 101920
If you're trying to wind us up in your short sleeved shirt it's working , starting to get getting frosty here . Showing your age now name dropping Lucille Ball haha half the lads on here will have to google her.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

View attachment 101914

View attachment 101915

View attachment 101916

View attachment 101917

View attachment 101918

View attachment 101919

View attachment 101920

I’ve been wanting to ride this. I have family in CA, just need to figure out the shuttle. My brother may be willing to meet me there from San Diego, but he doesn’t ride, so he would just shuttle me. That is a long drive for my brother from SD for just a shuttle. I’d be coming from Mesa, AZ. Are there any companies that shuttle out of Palm Springs?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
If you're trying to wind us up in your short sleeved shirt it's working , starting to get getting frosty here . Showing your age now name dropping Lucille Ball haha half the lads on here will have to google her.

Hey, I'm no sissy and had to tough it out. It was a frigid 53 degrees up on the mountain when we started. But I wore an undershirt, so it was ok. In another month, I'm sure we'll all be wearing long sleeves. Brrrrrr...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hey, I'm no sissy and had to tough it out. It was a frigid 53 degrees up on the mountain when we started. But I wore an undershirt, so it was ok. In another month, I'm sure we'll all be wearing long sleeves. Brrrrrr...
53 means nothing to me have to google that . 6 c here today.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’ve been wanting to ride this. I have family in CA, just need to figure out the shuttle. My brother may be willing to meet me there from San Diego, but he doesn’t ride, so he would just shuttle me. That is a long drive for my brother from SD for just a shuttle. I’d be coming from Mesa, AZ. Are there any companies that shuttle out of Palm Springs?

Palm Desert Bike n' Brews gave me their business card. Apparently they offer some kind of shuttle service. This morning I sent them an email asking for details.

It looks like you're familiar with riding desert terrain, so you'll be good in that respect. Keep in mind that there is some exposure, GPS is helpful, and once you drop in, there's no one coming to save you. Once you start, you're committed to finishing the ride. Riders need to possess strong intermediate skills, with the understanding that some areas might still need to be walked.

Let me know if you're planning on a ride.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Palm Desert Bike n' Brews gave me their business card. Apparently they offer some kind of shuttle service. This morning I sent them an email asking for details.

It looks like you're familiar with riding desert terrain, so you'll be good in that respect. Keep in mind that there is some exposure, GPS is helpful, and once you drop in, there's no one coming to save you. Once you start, you're committed to finishing the ride. Riders need to possess strong intermediate skills, with the understanding that some areas might still need to be walked.

Let me know if you're planning on a ride.
I appreciate the info. The trail sounds right up my alley.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
@Mcharza You are going to have to change your location in your profile soon - you will not convince me that is Finland! :ROFLMAO:

You spend more time in Spain than Finland...

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Orange County, Santa Ana Mountains, Motorway

The Santa Ana Mountain range is a small north/south range along the edge of the Orange Curtain. It's not a big range, but big enough where people sometimes come here and do not come back. Most of todays ride was along fire roads, but it ends in a steep, loose decent back to the truck. Since it's a holiday weekend, there were a few trucks and motorcycles on the first half of the ride. Nevertheless, the weather was great and the view spectacular. The ride is a seventeen mile loop, with 4800 feet of climbing/descent.

The Main Divide, along the top of the range, is a maintained for fire control. Sections are steep and grueling on an Amish Bike. Snowcapped peak in the distance is San Gorgonio Mountain, at 11,500 feet. A couple days ago I posted another view of the mountain, but the vantage point was about 100 miles from where I'm currently standing.
IMG_8927.jpeg

I was happy that the camera was able to capture this 22 degree halo.
IMG_8938.jpeg

Motorway drops from the top of the mountains to the bottom of the valley to the left. It's about three miles of loose shale, with moderate exposure. In the far distance, about 53 miles away, is Santa Catalina Island.
IMG_8971.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Llys-y-Fran Country Park with my grandson. Look at how low the water level has gone!

Llys-y-Fran Country Park.jpg

What you are looking at is the dam wall at the far end of a Y-shaped reservoir. Despite what the website says, it is not "difficult". It has one blackish section of several hundred yards and the rest is a middling red. There are some great built features near to the start and the finish, but half the trail is a family trail. Not a destination worth driving more than 30 mins to, but it is the best there is in that part of Wales, near St Davids. Great facilities, cafe, bike shop, bike hire, free parking the day I was there.

It was a really good day out though, picturesque.

Llys-Y-Fran Country Park 2.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles