Other bike comparison

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
So my beloved Haibike died on me. Nothing major, just a cracked on/off switch letting in rain and causing errors.

Anyway the upshot was I had to hire a bike for the day.

What I ended up with was a Cube Stereo, Bosch Gen 4 etc.

I guess very few people get a chance to evaluate a different bike over such a distance/time.
I had a full day at Whinlatter bike park.
I was keen to see what the Bosch system was like. I’ll admit I’ve been very snobbish/protective of the Flyon.

First impressions, wow. Nice bike. The fit was perfect and comfortable and it immediately felt agile and playful. The Flyon is a monster truck by comparison.
I can’t say anything about the suspension as I didn’t bother trying to fiddle, I just rode it. There is nothing at Whinlatter you can’t manage easily on a hard tail.

So the drive system. Loved it. The Bosch is super quiet. Existing users may think it’s noisy but trust me, compared to mine, it’s quiet.
I spent most of the time in ECO with a bit of Tour.
I did two laps of the North Altera and two of the South plus a lap of the Blue, 47k.
At the end I had three battery bars left.
Amazing. I will try to go back with my own bike and do a range comparison. Gut feeling I won’t get anywhere near with mine. Perhaps the Bosch motor is more efficient.

I did try the EMTB mode. It felt to me as if the minimum power level it delivered was equivalent to TOUR which isn’t the most economical way of riding.
Also I felt it promotes laziness. With a particular power setting you know when you need to raise your game in terms of effort but with EMTB I started to get lazy.
Only my opinion.

Looking at spec sheets, the Cube is about 4 kg lighter than my Flyon but it felt more like 10.

The rental guy told me the motors were de-tuned to 75 torques. I never felt underpowered anywhere.

What I did notice with the Bosch was the slight momentary power surge on pedal uptake. Initially a bit off putting but ok once I was used to it.

It definitely made me want to change my bike. I thought I never would as I do love the Haibike.

I would really like to test a Fazua power bike, something really light.
Failing that, next bike will definitely be Bosch powered.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Glad you liked it. I am happy with my Bosch Gen 4 motor. The older motor definitely had a drag when it wasn't powering you.
My first bike had a Shimano motor. They are also very good. There were just a few handling things about it that I hated, like turning lights on or off whilst you are riding. Also mine had an electrical problem which couldn't be found, so I was happy to get rid of it.
I haven't had a chance to try the TQ yet.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
@Sidepod From Bosch's own Gen4 spec page (here Performance Line CX: the most sporty Bosch motor for eMTBs)
(scroll down for the technical data)
Assuming the numbers are % of assistance
Eco = 60
Tour = 140
eMTB = 140 - 340
Turbo = 340

So your theory of minimum eMTB being the same as Tour would be correct
I noticed that too.
I would love a low power EMTB Mode.
Apparently, it is available on the new Moustache bikes, but not available to other brands.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
So my beloved Haibike died on me. Nothing major, just a cracked on/off switch letting in rain and causing errors.

Anyway the upshot was I had to hire a bike for the day.

What I ended up with was a Cube Stereo, Bosch Gen 4 etc.

I guess very few people get a chance to evaluate a different bike over such a distance/time.
I had a full day at Whinlatter bike park.
I was keen to see what the Bosch system was like. I’ll admit I’ve been very snobbish/protective of the Flyon.

First impressions, wow. Nice bike. The fit was perfect and comfortable and it immediately felt agile and playful. The Flyon is a monster truck by comparison.
I can’t say anything about the suspension as I didn’t bother trying to fiddle, I just rode it. There is nothing at Whinlatter you can’t manage easily on a hard tail.

So the drive system. Loved it. The Bosch is super quiet. Existing users may think it’s noisy but trust me, compared to mine, it’s quiet.
I spent most of the time in ECO with a bit of Tour.
I did two laps of the North Altera and two of the South plus a lap of the Blue, 47k.
At the end I had three battery bars left.
Amazing. I will try to go back with my own bike and do a range comparison. Gut feeling I won’t get anywhere near with mine. Perhaps the Bosch motor is more efficient.

I did try the EMTB mode. It felt to me as if the minimum power level it delivered was equivalent to TOUR which isn’t the most economical way of riding.
Also I felt it promotes laziness. With a particular power setting you know when you need to raise your game in terms of effort but with EMTB I started to get lazy.
Only my opinion.

Looking at spec sheets, the Cube is about 4 kg lighter than my Flyon but it felt more like 10.

The rental guy told me the motors were de-tuned to 75 torques. I never felt underpowered anywhere.

What I did notice with the Bosch was the slight momentary power surge on pedal uptake. Initially a bit off putting but ok once I was used to it.

It definitely made me want to change my bike. I thought I never would as I do love the Haibike.

I would really like to test a Fazua power bike, something really light.
Failing that, next bike will definitely be Bosch powered.
Not Bosch but you might want to consider the Rise if you like a lighter bike. I've got a Cube as well, demo'ed the Rise and loved it

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I very really use anything more than tour mode for big long inclines, its a power house in this mode and always drop back to eco as soon as possible. Eco is still very strong and in the right gear allows for some serious pull just slower.
If I could de tune Tour mode a little I would.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I noticed that too.
I would love a low power EMTB Mode.
Apparently, it is available on the new Moustache bikes, but not available to other brands.
Yamaha/Giant has 5 level + an automatic option. It is nice we can just push a button and from memory the default settings are
1- 100%
2- 175%
3- 250%
4- 300%
5- 360%
auto
walk mode
so we can opt for more assist or more range.
We can modify each level.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles