The other bikes thread.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm Ebikeless just now so back riding my other bikes a fair bit. I can't stand the terms "acoustic", "clockwork" or "analog" when referring to normal bicycles and just call mine bikes. ;)

Here's one of mine from the local dirt jump spot lastnight

Dartmoor4X.jpg

Spec:
Dartmoor 4X frame (26")
15mm RS Reba* run super stiff (as seen by the pink O-ring)
RSP 35mm stem,
760mm Nukeproof warhead bars
Sensus lite lock-on grips
Hope Tech2 brakes
9 speed SRAM XO (non-clutch mech)
165mm Saint cranks (2nd gen)
32T NW ring
OneUp components top chain guide
Exotic nano pedals
26" SRAM rail 50 wheelset (15mm front 135x12 rear)
26x2.2 DMR MOTO RT tyres (60psi f&r) tubeless
KS Exa-form speedup 250mm drop dropper post
Selle Italia SLR 135 saddle
weight 26lb (Quite a contrast from a 48lb 170mm Ebike).

I love this versatile little bike, obviously it shines on dirt jumps, pump tracks and skate parks but with the gearing and the 250mm dropper allowing it to be pedalled up and down comfortably I also ride it everywhere from the steep, technical tweedvalley enduro and DH trails to trail centres, local XC and long days out on more natural terrain. (fitting a 2.35 minion DHF and 2.1 Kenda BBG for more technical terrain). I've also raced (cruiser class) BMX on it. (badly)
*I also have a black 2016 Pike and shorter airshaft to fit when the reba bends (they always do eventually IME)

Let's see some of your other bikes and tell us what you love (or hate) about them

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I'm Ebikeless just now so back riding my other bikes a fair bit. I can't stand the terms "acoustic", "clockwork" or "analog" when referring to normal bicycles and just call mine bikes. ;)

I'm the same, and to make a comparison to a guitar is ridiculous. At least an acoustic guitar isn't going to let you down, and doesn't need electricity for enjoyment. Normal/bike and pedelec/ebike work fine for me.

I easily get more pleasure and sense of satisfaction from riding my normal mtb than I do the ebike, and riding a normal bike always makes me smile, especially knowing that every ounce of effort has come from me, and not an electric motor.

Without going way back in history, up until late last year, my bike of choice had been this KTM Ultra 1964. It was an ex demo review bike, infact this actual bike. KTM Ultra 1964 650B Review - A sub £1,000 machine | UKXCNEWS and KTM Ultra 1964 Review I qite like buying ex demo bikes, as they can usually be had at a fraction of the retail cost, an in this case, less than half the price.

Other than running a Rocket Ron on the rear during winter months to compliment the Racing Ralph, I never made any changes to the bike.

ktm ultra.jpg

mud1.JPG

I never tired of that bike, although often found the limits of the Reba front forks. Frustratingly it fell between frame sizes and ultimately after several years, I decided to opt for something completely different, and I wanted specifically plus size.
It was a toss up between a Genesis Tarn and a Giant XCT Advanced Plus one. A heck of a mouthful in terms of name. An opportunity arose that I couldn't say no to, and the Giant won the day.
I have made a couple of changes to the bike though, as I changed to a tubeless set up, and swapped out the front tyre from 3.0 Nobby Nic, to a 2.8 Magic mary. The combination works brilliantly on this bike, and is actually quite a rocket ship, and handles brilliantly.
I hate unnecessary bling, accessories and changing things just for the sake of it, but I have to say that in a moment of weakness I made an exception on this bike, and changed the SLX shifter for an XT.
The bike also came with a KMC chain, but it made an annoying drive train noise, in that it didn't mesh that well under load. Swapping to a Shimano 105 chain, silenced the bike, so that was a worthy change. The one and only criticism that I have about the bike, is the 27.5mm seat post diameter. I'd have liked 31.6mm but understand that there was very good reason for Giant having used this size.

zz7.jpg

Giant zz3.jpg

This is next on my list. I love trials bikes and trials riding, and an Echo (or similar) will fit quite nicely in my van to take to work, plus it will give me the fun that I crave when I get home from work, and just want to play around locally.

large_echotrial20163.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm with you, bikes are "bikes" and ebikes are "ebikes". I like both, and think belittling labels for bikes is childish.
I don't mind childish. I just find the terms cringeworthy.
anyway.. back to bikes.

Here's another of mine.

TCR.jpg

2012 Giant TCR carbon
10 speed Ultegra/105 mix
Pretty much stock spec except for the following:
165mm 105 chainset - 172.5 were giving my knees jip and I can spin 165s faster
Shimano A520 SPD touring pedals - I prefer to use mtb/BMX shoes most of the time
SLR 135 saddle - light and comfortable (for me)
upgraded brake blocks
Vredestein Fortezza senso all weather tyres - best performance/durability/comfort/grip I've ever found in a fast all weather tyre.
Garmin 800 with out front mount
waterbottle tool/spares bag incl. Co2x2, multitool, patches, tubesx2, snack, money
XLM LED 2 mode headlight with diffuser and custom Li ion battery pack, mounted to the GoPro mount under the garmin outfront mount
Topeak iGlow mini rocket pump (doudles as a nice bright LED light strip)
Silicone LED flashers x 4 (bar, fork, under saddle, bottom of seatpost
LED strips (seat stays)
Bike is 18lb with mudguards but Garmin, lights, pump and tools/spares, bottle removed (or 22lb as ridden as shown above)

I use this all year round, night and day and in all weathers hence the mudguards, lights, watterbottle tool bag/leds and pump. Unlike most cyclists I see carbon a race frame as the perfect all weather road frame. lightweight, Carbon or deep section rims of any type would be a big mistake on this bike as it's windy as hell around here and road surfaces are poor. The stock Giant hubs are nice but the rims are not light but they are very durable. Due to my locality, knowledge of the area and good planning of the loops I ride I rarely brake so the braking surfaces are still in really good condition after many years and fairly high mileage.

@Doomanic The dictionary definition of the noun "Normal" is "the usual, typical, or expected state"

From now on let's make a rule... No bike pic. No moaning about terminology. I'd rather talk bikes than grammar. Sound fair?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have been putting up with so called “Normal” riders talking shit on me and my Ebike for a couple of years. Just like when they used to talk shit on my full suspension bike when everyone else had hardtails.
Same guys who bemoaned the advent of disc brakes or 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed etc.
They act all self righteous and superior, like what they are doing is so much more noble or stoic.
A lot of guitar players act in the same way.
So that’s why I call them acoustic.

So on that note here is a bunch of my ukuleles, can you spot the two banjos?
EEA83285-EF05-43B5-B467-2EB39E8E0CE4.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't really care about guitars now that a computer can be used to produce every sound any guitar can. ;)
I can't take any of this shit seriously, and hopefully you'll see the humour meant in my above comment.

Those all yours @Al Boneta . Nice collection, more info on the old DJ bikes please. They look like they've seen a bit of air in their time. [EDIT] That's an SX isn't it? I had the original white Supercross from 2002... So ahead of it's time, (except the goofy seat tube angle) I Pushed the Fox Vanilla and ran an adjustable pike coil and rode it like a mini DH (pre-enduro) bike until the main pivot got damaged and seized in the mainframe. I'll try and find a pic of it and post later.

Here's my wee bike.

Haro.jpg

it's an old (2011) Haro Pro Race ... I could really do with it being 0,5" longer for racing but it's still a fun as hell bike to take to the track.

Last edited:

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I did buy an ex display 2018 KTM Aera comp last night for a steal of price. Sadly it won't be with me long though, as I shall just check it over and then it'll be moved on.

aera-29-comp-20-30-black-matt-orange__01299_1504881831.jpg

Seeing your road bike Gary, I do have this Mercier that doesn't get used as much as perhaps it should. Spec to follow.
In respect of Giant road bikes, I really rate the Defy 3 as being one of the most comfortable and compliant road bikes that I a have ever ridden. Although admittedly I have ridden many. :)

m1.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@EddieJ How old is that Mercier? Looks very well looked after.
Defy's are nice, they just don't fit me. The medium and M/L are too short but the L has too tall a head tube, but that's what they intended when they designed them and a big reason a lot of people find them more comfortable than the TCR.
It's predecessor and one of the first production Aluminium compact frames around (the OCR) had better geometry for me.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I don't really care about guitars now that a computer can be used to produce every sound any guitar can. ;)
I can't take any of this shit seriously, and hopefully you'll see the humour meant in my above comment.

Those all yours @Al Boneta . Nice collection, more info on the old DJ bikes please. They look like they've seen a bit of air in their time. [EDIT] That's an SX isn't it? I had the original white Supercross from 2002... So ahead of it's time, (except the goofy seat tube angle) I Pushed the Fox Vanilla and ran an adjustable pike coil and rode it like a mini DH (pre-enduro) bike until the main pivot got damaged and seized in the mainframe. I'll try and find a pic of it and post later.

Here's my wee bike.

View attachment 4131
it's an old (2011) Haro Pro Race ... I could really do with it being 0,5" longer for racing but it's still a fun as hell bike to take to the track.
I am not taking any of it seriously. My favorite author was asked about a contradiction he made in an interview once.
His response “Of course you realize everything I say is horseshit”
That’s the prototype P-Slope and a 2011 P2
I like that fiddle you got there

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Here's one of mine from the local dirt jump spot lastnight

View attachment 4115
Spec:
Dartmoor 4X frame (26")
15mm RS Reba* run super stiff (as seen by the pink O-ring)
RSP 35mm stem,
760mm Nukeproof warhead bars
Sensus lite lock-on grips
Hope Tech2 brakes
9 speed SRAM XO (non-clutch mech)
165mm Saint cranks (2nd gen)
32T NW ring
OneUp components top chain guide
Exotic nano pedals
26" SRAM rail 50 wheelset (15mm front 135x12 rear)
26x2.2 DMR MOTO RT tyres (60psi f&r) tubeless
KS Exa-form speedup 250mm drop dropper post
Selle Italia SLR 135 saddle
weight 26lb (Quite a contrast from a 48lb 170mm Ebike).

I love this versatile little bike, obviously it shines on dirt jumps, pump tracks and skate parks but with the gearing and the 250mm dropper allowing it to be pedalled up and down comfortably I also ride it everywhere from the steep, technical tweedvalley enduro and DH trails to trail centres, local XC and long days out on more natural terrain. (fitting a 2.35 minion DHF and 2.1 Kenda BBG for more technical terrain). I've also raced (cruiser class) BMX on it. (badly)
*I also have a black 2016 Pike and shorter airshaft to fit when the reba bends (they always do eventually IME)

Let's see some of your other bikes and tell us what you love (or hate) about them

EMTB Forums - the clue is in the title....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That’s the prototype P-Slope and a 2011 P2
Ah... yeah... I rode a MK1 P2 for a while dirt jumping around 2000
Here's my old '02 SX built as a mini DH bike back in 2008
index.php

Those things were well ahead of their time when released. and in some ways still so even today. As pictured it had a 65deg HA, 12.6" BB, 43.75 WB, 4.5" rear travel, 5.5" front and could keep up with DH bikes of the time if you were strong enough to put up with the lack of travel.
.It had a Pushed Fox Vanilla coil shock & Coil Pikes and full DH parts build
I built it like that specifically for sectioning DH tracks on days with no uplift as I was sick of pushing my DH bikes uphill all day, kinda funny now thinking about it as the SX weighed close to 37lb and both my DH bikes these days are lighter.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I've always been impressed with the old SX, a few mates had them until quite recently, one used one for a lot of park, kicking horse on it was brutal but it lapped it up.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've always been impressed with the old SX, a few mates had them until quite recently, one used one for a lot of park, kicking horse on it was brutal but it lapped it up.
Did your mates have SX Trails or the older shorter travel SX Supercross the same as mine?
I honestly thought mine was one of the last in the UK not to have snapped chainstays

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah @Dax the SX trail was later (2005-2010ish) and a different bike entirely, 150mm rear travel and sort of one of the first proper do everything from DH to XC Enduro style bikes. Confusing, eh?
The SX has always been a 100-115mm travel frame designed for 4X, dual slalom and dirtjumping/slopestyle. the version above I had was only available 2001-2004, Specialized still continue to make (newer versions) of the shorter dirt/slope SX frames in very limited numbers but they're only available in the US and generally all sold before they're even available.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles