Should I sell my other bike?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Basically since having my e bike for 3 weeks my other bike has become null and void. The acoustic full suspension is only 2 months old and wondering whether to sell it to pay off some of my e bike quicker which is a hardtail. Yes I took finance out on this e bike...wasn't going to and then pay Pal offers 2 years interest free and the Mrs preferred that way. I only paid 1599 for my e bike which has now gone back up but is a cracking price for the bike I got. I could probably get about £800 for my acoustic bike which I would use to pay bike off quicker and out new tyres on e bike. Once the hardtail e bike is paid off and maybe in a a year's time I would look at upgrading if I'm still enjoying as much to a full suspension e bike.

Anyway any thoughts? I'll be using this e bike for some commuting to work (have a car but makes sense as it saves on fuel and work is a 15 minute pedal away) and also for hobby riding (every other day). Can an e bike be reliable enough to be my only bike and have these 2 tasks? I would never commute in my acoustic full suspension as it's just too much for a commute.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm probably not the person to answer this as I have 9 non-Ebikes I also love riding.
Thinking about it though. I've snapped frames/forks on my other bikes and it's never taken longer than a week to re-build/repair them whether in or out of warranty..
I was without my Ebike for a whole month while I waited for a warranty decision when a motor bearing failed (and I wasn't allowed to replace it myself)

What is it though?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
It's a Calibre bossnut Evo so 2 months ago decided to upgrade my 'acoustic hardtail' to that. It's a great bike and it had cracking reviews, is new on market. But with my e bike now I just can't see a reason to keep it apart from my e bike being hardtail (but I don't plan on big jumping anymore) and reliability

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I wouldn't expect to get £800 for the Bossnut

To be fair I put it up for £725. It's actually 1 month old with receipt and all paperwork and isn't even due it's 6 week check yet. Surely loosing £300 is enough in 1 month on a bike that's been ridden maybe 6 times. It is the newest version of the bossnut too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
£725 sounds far more realistic.
Bikes lose about 30% as soon as you ride them.
Warrantys aren't transferible so 1 month or 2 years makes little difference unfortunately.if it's really only been ridden 6 times you could clean it to within an inch of it's life and take advantage of GoOutdoors 30 day returns policy ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
they said they didn't take bikes back.

That's rubbish.
1536769094517.png

I don't see bikes on that list. I suggest you have another go and talk to an organ grinder instead of monkey.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I said that already to them. To be fair I've changed the bike slightly anyway as I thought it was going to be a keeper. I changed the decals on the suspension forks and out new pedals on and through the old ones away.

20180912_144149.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You're a bit stuffed then.

As Gary said, I'd keep it so you've got something to ride if/when your eBike has a problem.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They have to take it back if
It''s within 30 days of purchase
and
is in the same condition as sold (ie. Has not been ridden in anger)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
They have to take it back if
It''s within 30 days of purchase
and
is in the same condition as sold (ie. Has not been ridden in anger)

If you look at picture above the fork decals were black and I've changed them to orange to match bike. So pretty sure they would refuse on this alone.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Are E-Bikes reliable? That's the main thing. If they are then I made well sell it while I'll get something for it as otherwise it will just sit there and be worth £350 in a year's time. But if from your guys experience theybhave lots of problems I'll need a bike to have fun on.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Are E-Bikes reliable? That's the main thing. If they are then I made well sell it while I'll get something for it as otherwise it will just sit there and be worth £350 in a year's time. But if from your guys experience theybhave lots of problems I'll need a bike to have fun on.

To be honest if someone offers me £650 for it I would probably let it go.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF Ebikes don't have A LOT of problems. it's just that hen they have motor problems. and it's under warranty. You are not allowed to fix them yourself.

I actually still prefer non-Ebikes so it's a no brainer for me to keep all mine.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
What makes you prefer non e-bikes. These last 2 days of being able to ride my e bike properly has made me realise just how great these things are. Just like mountain biking but without the horrible feeling when looking at a steep hill. Also I making up new lines up places and challenging myself. I love that feeling and sound when the back wheels sliding trying to power up a really steel slippy hill.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Also @Gary you seem like a knowledgeable chap. On my Shimano system at least it has an odometer like a car. What would you reckon the kind of mileage you should get out an e bike is before it starts needing at looking to be replaced like a car. Also do they need to go to an shop for a yearly service or anything?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First off you need to stop buying bikes!

Spend a year with the Sentier, get to know how to maintain and service it, get to know how to ride well on it, then take your time and get a FS.

The boss nut is a great bike, especially for making your first steps into proper MTB'ing - personally i would keep it, unless you get a good offer.

Depending on how much you ride, and if you are not mechanically confident, its deftly worth getting your LBS to give your bike a once over at leat once a year, if not twice.

MTB's, electric or not, require fairly constant maintenance because firstly you are riding them off road so they get exposed to a lot more crap/mud/dust etc to road bikes, and also get subjected to a lot more abuse if ride hard.

If you look after it it will last a long time, if you don't it wont - they only need to replace it will be if you want another bike

If you read all the manuals that came with the Sentier you will see servicing guidelines for the forks, brakes etc.

Also you can ride the rentier hard - i ride mine on pretty much the same terrain i ride the Sommett on, its only really on proper DH stuff that i wouldn't take it. I really enjoy that it is more challenging to ride on some trails.

Riding a hardtail teaches you a lot about bike skills, and especially line choice.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@R120 My partner keeps saying that about buying bikes too ?. I ride my bike alot. I've just got in from an hour and a half 15 mile road trip on the e bike. God that 15moh limit is a bit dangerous though but so good up the hills. If only it was 20mph it wouldn't be an issue. I do wash and degrease the chain and clean the forks etc etc after everybride.bwouldbt be any good at changing anything big though. I don't mind getting the bike services once or twice a year if I use it for commuting alot aswell. @R120 do you have alot of drag when hitting over that 25kph limit? As soon as I hit that it's like pulling a ball and chain behind me. Don't really notice in woods or trials but so notice it on the roads.

P.s already watched it haha

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I do on the road because of the tyres, as per your other thread the tyres on the bike are about as far away from a road tyre as you can get, and when the motor cuts out you are loosing the compensating factor of the assistive so the drag of the tyres becomes very noticeable.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Also @Gary you seem like a knowledgeable chap. On my Shimano system at least it has an odometer like a car. What would you reckon the kind of mileage you should get out an e bike is before it starts needing at looking to be replaced like a car. Also do they need to go to an shop for a yearly service or anything?
Mileage isn't a great measure of wear on a car or a bicycle.
how it's been ridden/driven and how well looked after/maintained is.

Don't be suckered into returning a bike to be serviced at regular intervals. Keep an eye on wear/condition yourself and learn how to replace consumable/damaged parts and any other work your bike needs. None of it is overly difficult. Even suspension service intervals are dubious. (because service intervals depend massively on the type of use and conditions a fork/shock is ridden in and how well looked after it is)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What makes you prefer non e-bikes.
Depends which one you're asking about. As I said. I have 9 They all have merits and traits I prefer to those of my Ebike. Not to say the Ebike isn't awesome at what it excells at too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles