Orbea rise h30 rumbling noise when climbing

Elderdom

Jan 2, 2023
Gloucester
Hi all, I’ve owned my rise since July. 2200 miles, 3 chains, original cassette. I have recently started to experience a rumbling noise when climbing in lower gears. As I’m a bike mechanic I went to work on it straight away to find that cause. Bearings in the free hub body have been replaced and rear hub has been serviced. Chain guard removed whilst riding and the noise was still there. It has a new chain about 50 miles ago which is always cleaned and lubed so no stiff links. No signs of cracks where the cranks are mounted. New pedals so definitely not them. Then after taking the chain off the ring I noticed this noise and not sure it it’s normal or if because it’s not under load. I will be starting a warranty case but I’m just wondering if it’s something I’ve missed and my vision has been clouded by doom and gloom? Dropbox link for video

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
How would the chainring cause that noise?

Not convinced.
The teeth on the chainring get worn into a hook shape and don't release the chain cleanly as it leaves the bottom of the ring,instead the chain gets a pulled further round and releases with a jerk,the jerk makes the sound. And when pedalling the sound from repeated jerking makes a rumbling sound.

It's common on all bikes ( not just ebikes) when they have done highish miles,but with ebikes the wear happens faster

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hi all, I’ve owned my rise since July. 2200 miles, 3 chains, original cassette. I have recently started to experience a rumbling noise when climbing in lower gears. As I’m a bike mechanic I went to work on it straight away to find that cause. Bearings in the free hub body have been replaced and rear hub has been serviced. Chain guard removed whilst riding and the noise was still there. It has a new chain about 50 miles ago which is always cleaned and lubed so no stiff links. No signs of cracks where the cranks are mounted. New pedals so definitely not them. Then after taking the chain off the ring I noticed this noise and not sure it it’s normal or if because it’s not under load. I will be starting a warranty case but I’m just wondering if it’s something I’ve missed and my vision has been clouded by doom and gloom? Dropbox link for video

Elderdom,

I listened to the sound file and It sounds like something is going bad with the motor internally.

Have you tried taking the chainring off, crank arms off and squirting some penetrating oil onto both spindles where they enter the motor. Leave the chainring off and temporarily put the crank arms back on. Give the motor a spin and see if the noise changes or abates.

I occasionally have had issues where dirt and grime build up in the area where the backside of the chainring mates to the spindle and also where the spindle enters the engine case (Both sides) will cause a squeaking sound or noise similar to a bearing failure.

Spinning the motor with the chainring off, insolates the noise to just the motor. If you clean and lube the spindles, and the noise goes away, this tells you there was grime build up at the spindles.

I think this suggestion is a long shot, the noise didn't sound good. But, it's worth a quick try to see what happens.

EP8 Motor
1672757008118.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles