Orbea Rise H30 (L) - Weights, Upgrade + Cross Border Purchase (US>CDN)

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Going to start a thread here to document my first e-bike from purchase to upgrade / final setup. Will constantly update this main post:

The Purchase:
I managed to snag a Large H30 from Jenson USA during their annual bike sale promotion. Purchased at MSRP $5699 + 75 oversized shipping charge, but will get a $250 giftcard for later purchases. I live in Canada BC, and H30 retails for $8400 CDN after taxes. Purchasing from US costs me $7330 CDN (1.27 fx) before taxes and duties. Based on the tariff code for e-mtb that is under 20mph - Code 8711.60.00 - I will not have to pay for MFN (most-favored-nation) Tax. A tax I believe is imposed by different country (same code) in order to protect local country manufacturing (aka. buy local). Because I live in BC, I am exempt from paying PST, leaving just the 5% GST I need to pay ($367 CDN). Doing some math, my total would be $7667 CDN once I cross the border, which will still save me about $730 CDN + $250 USD GC(~$1000 CDN).

Canadian Tariff Document: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2020/01-99/ch87-2020-eng.pdf
BC PST Exemption Bulletin: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-204-bicycles-tricycles.pdf

The Border Crossing / Customs (Pt Roberts):
Everything went smoothly going there and coming back. Coming back into Canada required the ArriveCan App covid screening which took 5 mins to do during the day time. As for taxes, it's exactly how I predicted. CBSA staff definitely appreciated the research into the tariff codes and providing them with the code right away so they didnt have to search. Although they did double check with me if it's correct. At the end of the day, I only got taxed 5% GST as for BC, there' no PST on ebikes, and for Canada, no duties or tariff fees on ebikes under 32km/h.

For those who's curious about the full Canadian tariff code on ebikes:
main code: 87.11 - Motorcycles (including mopeds) and cycles fitted with an auxiliary motor, with or without side-cars; side-cars.
full code: 8711.60.00 00 - With electric motor for propulsion

The Bike Weight (Stock Configuration): TBD
Bike weight (no pedals): 45.9lbs / 20.8kg
Frame weight (with cranks only): 23.0lbs / 10.4kg
Front Wheel + Dissector (no rotors): 4.75lbs / 2.15kg
Rear Wheel + Rekon (no cassette or rotors): 5.22lbs / 2.37kg
Marzzochi z2 (140mm): 4.3lbs / 1.95kg

(Upgrades Weight info)
Mezzer Expert + IRT Upgrade (200mm Steer): 4.53lbs / 2.06kg

If you want more weight of stock components let me know, and I'll try my best to figure it out.

The Goal:
To make the H30 a ~40lbs ~45lbs e-bike. Hoping to match the feeling of aggressive trail bikes / enduro bikes. Many parts are transfer over from a different bike, so weight savings might not be huge vs stock components. I know this goal is possible, but a lot of money will need to be thrown at it.

The Plan (Upgrades ASAP):
Wheelset: Mullet Nobl 37s on Onyx Hubs (transfer over)
Tires: Wild Enduro F/R with Rimpact Pro (transfer over)
Drivetrain: XTR + AXS GX (transfer over)
Fork: Mezzer Expert with IRT (160mm or 170mm?)
Shock: 216x63 with 1 offset bushing. Float X2 with SLS spring.
Bar/Stem: 77Designz stem with OneUp bar
Seatpost: OneUp 210mm (transfer over) < Utilized the existing post's cable, so didn't have to route anything. Also shortened it.
Brakes: Magura MT30 with 203 F/R < This one wasn't fun. Not sure how much assembly is required from say a LBS to do this, but I am sure the motor will have to be drop. I didn't drop the motor, but came up with this idea where I used the existing hose as a "tube in tube". Ran a modified Park Tool routing wire into the existing hose then connect the other side to Magura line.
1647578256002.jpeg
1647578315989.png

The Later Plan (Future Upgrades):
Crankset: Carbon ones that fit ep8 (which only seems to be e13. I can wait until they get their crap together).
Wheelset: Something with lighter hubs + berd spokes?
Tires: New EXO+ stuff without inserts? or maybe lighter inserts?

That's it for now...if you interested in something here let me know. I will continue documenting my process here.

Last edited:

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
You will struggle to get the H30 to 40lbs, especially with that shock and fork. I'd say 42lbs is a realistic minimum and it will be very expensive. You will need pretty much the lightest of every component available, carbon rims, transfer sl post, next sl bars, yes xtr full. Definately not a coil or X2 if you want to go light, nor the mezzer, better off with a dps and a float 34 or something even lighter.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
I don't have a super accurate scale, but my M10 is 41lbs with pedals, bottle cage, etc, ready to ride. When I looked it up, but spec, the H is 4.8lbs heavier, half frame weight and half extra battery. After riding it though, I am very curious to see how H "feels" because that's all that actually matters. My guess would be that the extra weight isn't very noticeable, and you're going full enduro setup, I don't think many have M's with those parts that are actually under 40, maybe just with XX1, and everything super light. Just ride the bike, it's a blast.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Fwiw, I have a very expensive m10 build in XL. with a cushcore XC, ex511/dt350 wheelset and EXO+ assguy/dhr2 it's at 45lbs. I'd expect your build to come in around 46+ without the berd spoked wheels. My buddy has an H15 in Large and bone stock his was just over 45lbs with the dissector and rekon. any weight gains of lighter parts (wheels, handlebars) is immediately offset by putting real tires on the thing.

Fwiw, my wife's medium m10 with 1700g wheels, carbon bars and a 200g seat, gx eagle and 850g 2.6 tires, is just under 40lbs.

That being said... It rides great, feels very similar to my 35lb megatower which is fully plastic with double down tires. The rise is harder to get the rear off the ground but other then that they feel comparable when at full gas.

Last edited:

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
My medium H30 out of the box with tubes 2 days ago was 47lb even. Front wheel change to kenda EMC casing and reserve wheels was almost 2lbs alone. Its going to be a pretty beefy build but id be happy with 45lb. 40Lb sounds VERY aggressive and i would imagine an XC focused spec.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Thank you everyone for the input. I'll definitely readjust the weight expectations, but ultimately it's the feel I'm going for, which is for the ebike to ride like an aggressive trail / enduro bike, or as close to it as possible.This is one of the reason why I am going mullet for that "snappier" feeling. One of the reason why this bike is awesome from reading all the forum threads is the ability of tinker with different shock stroke, wheel size etc without messing around with stock geometry much.

Last edited:

DaveW2

Dec 16, 2021
Calgary
I looked into buying one from the US, but ended up getting an M20 in Canada. On tariffs, I assumed they would apply based on manufacture in Spain, not US. I also found that the tariff on incomplete bikes was about half what it is on fully assembled bikes, so I was going to get the wheels shipped separately.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Did a lot of research with tariffs. Spain and US is part of MFN for canada. Spain is also part of CEUT. For Ebikes (non regulated - under 500 watts and doesn't exceed 32kph) there's no tariff. Regular non ebikes there is 13% for complete bike. After tariffs there's also gst and pst and luckily for BC, no pst just the 5% GST, so really that's all I should need to pay crossing customs.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
The Border Crossing / Customs (Pt Roberts):
Made the drive there last night to pick up my h30 - everything went smoothly going there and coming back. Coming back into Canada required the ArriveCan App covid screening which took 5 mins to do during the day time. As for taxes, it's exactly how I predicted. CBSA staff definitely appreciated the research into the tariff codes and providing them with the code right away so they didnt have to search. Although they did double check with me if it's correct. At the end of the day, I only got taxed 5% GST as for BC, there' no PST on ebikes, and for Canada, no duties or tariff fees on ebikes under 32km/h.

For those who's curious about the full Canadian tariff code on ebikes:
main code: 87.11 - Motorcycles (including mopeds) and cycles fitted with an auxiliary motor, with or without side-cars; side-cars.
full code: 8711.60.00 00 - With electric motor for propulsion

next up: Weight the parts.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Boom - all built up
IMG_2127.jpeg

For anyone planning to upgrade to a DHX2 with the 216x63 (8.2x2.5) long stroke shock. You can actually get away with running a 61mm /2.4" SLS spring - the 61mm spring has enough space to compress beyond 63mm as it accounts for preload on 230x60mm shocks. Not only is this a lighter option, it provides better frame clearance. Should work with Medium frames much better - not sure about small. There is a caveat:
1) minimal preload on spring
2) shock reducer spacers about 2-4mm > i bought nukeproof and just cut the flange off for bigger diameter shock leaving me with a washer looking reducer. I put 1 on each end - each plate is about 2mm. This is required as there's not enough thread to keep the spring sitting tight. My setup contains another 2mm of thread for preload.
1648586030376.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg
IMG_2164.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles