Orbea Rise and Sram Transmission. Compatibility?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Does the Rise allow for the new Sram Transmission? There are questions about how Orbea and others using their own style hanger actually being ok with the Universal D Hanger. Anyone know a for sure answer?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
It does not have the UDH, but upon speaking with both Orbea and a local dealer, there is some talk about an adapter or something that will allow for this. Maybe just wishful thinking on this, but honestly, how could Orbea tight cast themselves into Shimano only as for the innovation of the Transmission system on the 2023 Rise models as an option. With most of the testers stating they have been using the Transmission for 6 months or longer, then Orbea must have know at executive level that this was coming for longer than 6 months... and if no solution or forethought was give to having this, then they really shot themselves in the foot. I have a buddy running the transmission on his 2022 SWorks Turbo Levo. The entire group ride was blown away at shifting on Turbo mode full stride ahead. I was simply amazing to see it in action this past Saturday.. This is the real deal, and all while it's stupid expensive, so are these bikes in general. Eventually the Gx kit will hit the market at a better price, or what about a wired version of this technology. Orbea, beware, you'll lose sales for new buyers unless you had thought this through.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
It does not have the UDH, but upon speaking with both Orbea and a local dealer, there is some talk about an adapter or something that will allow for this. Maybe just wishful thinking on this, but honestly, how could Orbea tight cast themselves into Shimano only as for the innovation of the Transmission system on the 2023 Rise models as an option. With most of the testers stating they have been using the Transmission for 6 months or longer, then Orbea must have know at executive level that this was coming for longer than 6 months... and if no solution or forethought was give to having this, then they really shot themselves in the foot. I have a buddy running the transmission on his 2022 SWorks Turbo Levo. The entire group ride was blown away at shifting on Turbo mode full stride ahead. I was simply amazing to see it in action this past Saturday.. This is the real deal, and all while it's stupid expensive, so are these bikes in general. Eventually the Gx kit will hit the market at a better price, or what about a wired version of this technology. Orbea, beware, you'll lose sales for new buyers unless you had thought this through.

Bikes are designed on 2-3 year timelines. they are not sold into shimano only, sram is continuing to produce axs so you still have a sram drivetrain available. Sram laid out plenty of runway for brands to move to UDH and had enough indications that this was coming, and some brands took the message and some didn't. I feel like it was a mistake by orbea to not jump on board mostly because their derailleur hanger design sucks... a lot. FWIW, GX axs came out 2 years after x01/xx1 axs... I would predict a similar timeframe for that release here.

I do agree that anyone that didn't integrate into the UDH standard is going to be struggling. Hopefully orbea updates the molds for the frames... but by the time they do, the rise will be due for an update on the 3 year cycle anyway.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
I think you are 100% correct. Again, I'll say that the Transmission is a game changer. Might I add that the Levo ride group (with my Rise included) has been not pleasant to the Cassettes, chains, and derailleurs, so the hight cost of the Transmission stuff will be offset by reliability, and durability. I have been present for a derailed snap, chain breakage, and both required the rider to walk his bike out. Here is praying for an adapter which Orbea really could have used. Plus, the availability of the UDH is common, can't say that for dozens of proprietary hangers. OMG.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Meanwhile it looks like Shimano are developing a direct mount derailleur set up.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Put the new Transmission on my Levo. Can't tell you how nice it is. Ok Orbea, what's not to like? Seriously, it's really nice and super quiet. Biggest thing I notice is the solid shifting, and if it holds true that the hardware will hold up to abuse, then why would anyone not go with this set up when buying a new bike? That is if you are going wireless and spending the money. Not for everyone, but in CA we can ride year round. Not sure if this would hold true for the 6 month rider in snow climates.

IMG_0433.jpeg IMG_0434.jpeg

Markitos

Apr 3, 2023
Puerto Rico
I will be doing som tests with the XX cassette with T Type chain and GX AXS derailleur. Altough the new XX derailleur cant be mounted on the Rise the Cassette and T Type chain can. The chain is backwards compatible with the eagle systems. The cassette however can only be used with new T Type chain. The feature of shifting under load is not in the derailleur it is actually in the cassette. Its made in a way that the chain only derails on a specific point. So although we cant get the new derailleur installed Im going to test the cassette, T Type chain and GX AXS derailleur and post results. I already checked and the chain runs perfectly on the E thirteen chainring.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I will be doing som tests with the XX cassette with T Type chain and GX AXS derailleur. Altough the new XX derailleur cant be mounted on the Rise the Cassette and T Type chain can. The chain is backwards compatible with the eagle systems. The cassette however can only be used with new T Type chain. The feature of shifting under load is not in the derailleur it is actually in the cassette. Its made in a way that the chain only derails on a specific point. So although we cant get the new derailleur installed Im going to test the cassette, T Type chain and GX AXS derailleur and post results. I already checked and the chain runs perfectly on the E thirteen chainring.
Well you can use this new invention to protect your derailleur ..........much cheaper as well! :ROFLMAO:

20230403_141006.jpg

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Follow up on AXS vs. Transmission. Well, let's just say it's night and day. My Levo with Transmission is simply the best shifting system out there. Simply it's awesome. Like having a new bike. Rode mine and a buddy on his Levo with the new Transmission. Imagine grinding up some steep stuff and not hesitating to make a change. The AXS bike who also rode with us tried similar. Thought his chain was coming off, this guy then took out my bike and he was ready to plunk cash down on the Transmission. Then on Sunday, rode my Rise.... I was reminded that the AXS is good, while the Transmission is on another level. Hope there will be a way to change it out. So who knows, if the new cassette can be mated to the AXS derailleur, with a new ring up front, then maybe that will be the work around should the hanger not be adaptable to a retrofit. Wait to you all try the new stuff. You'll be blown away.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
If your test proves successful then you can use the regular cable shifter, and convert for the cost of a chain, and front ring! How cool would that be.

Markitos

Apr 3, 2023
Puerto Rico
If your test proves successful then you can use the regular cable shifter, and convert for the cost of a chain, and front ring! How cool would that be.
Yes, cable shifter would work as well. The e thirteen chain ring works with the T Type chain so all you would need should be the new cassette and chain. Im waiting untill wednesday that my new bike arrives and will do the test with it, as I will be converting it to AXS anyway.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Yes, cable shifter would work as well. The e thirteen chain ring works with the T Type chain so all you would need should be the new cassette and chain. Im waiting untill wednesday that my new bike arrives and will do the test with it, as I will be converting it to AXS anyway.
Cool, and appreciate the updates.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I thought the width of the shifts was slightly different on the new Transmission. Maybe not enough that you can still use the old derailleur?

Markitos

Apr 3, 2023
Puerto Rico
I thought the width of the shifts was slightly different on the new Transmission. Maybe not enough that you can still use the old derailleur?
At a simple glance they look very similar. I know the pictures are not very clear but they seem very close in the spacing between each ring.

20230404_172730.jpg 20230404_172708.jpg 20230404_172612.jpg

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I have felt some FOMO with all the media around the new SRAM transmission... however, I'm really happy with my AXS/Shimano franken-drivetrain!
Some teething issues with AXS stopping working mid ride, but cleaned contacts and ensure battery is fully clicked in seems to have solved that.

As far as durability goes, I've broken a few derailleurs in my time, every one has been a stick that pushes the cage into the spokes..

1680646286678.png

czech99

Apr 5, 2023
US
Just an FYI even** if the orbea had UDH it still wouldnt work because the entire system needs to work together. you cant just run a rear derailleur and casette like the old axs. You would need the new crankset w/ chainring that is unique to transmission. And with shimano steps you're not getting those cranks and chain ring.

edit* looks like there is a steps chainring. ty @westcoastmtbr

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I believe you just need to space the derailleur off the hanger 2mm to account for the 2mm shift in the cassette spacing with the t-type.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Isn't it going to be fun when all the gear heads figure out how to run a GX wired system to the new t-type cassette and chain and reap the benefits of the new system! I think it'll work out with some 2mm spacer, or new revised adapter, or more. I would really like to change out my Yeti and Rise, with or without the AXS. This is going to get interesting.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
just to be clear, the Rise will run conventional SRAM transmissions perfectly well, it just wont run the new T type, the existing XX, X0, GX systems do not use UDH so work perfectly. I have XX AXS transmission on my rise and its perfect and fits as you would expect on any bike.

Markitos

Apr 3, 2023
Puerto Rico
just to be clear, the Rise will run conventional SRAM transmissions perfectly well, it just wont run the new T type, the existing XX, X0, GX systems do not use UDH so work perfectly. I have XX AXS transmission on my rise and its perfect and fits as you would expect on any bike.
Yes the old AXS Systems work, GX non T-type, X01 and XX1. The doubt here was if the new T-type Cassette and chain could be fitted to the rise to have the shifting under load advantage. In short yes it can be done and works using the old derailleur.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
We are starting to see the conversions take place. 5Dev is making a Transmission conversion kit for Yeti bikes, pre UDH., so there must be ways to eventually make this happen. Hopefully just a matter of time. When / if this happens, then it's going to be a great thing.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
We are starting to see the conversions take place. 5Dev is making a Transmission conversion kit for Yeti bikes, pre UDH., so there must be ways to eventually make this happen. Hopefully just a matter of time. When / if this happens, then it's going to be a great thing.
It will not happen on a rise without a new seat stay design... IE, this will never happen on existing 2021-2023 rises.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles