Orbea Rise 2022

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Interesting query, I think I can give some insight. I have an XL rise m20 (egregiously modified and made heavier, tires etc) and my wife has a medium m20 that is mostly stock. I've checked out the H series of rise's at my local bike shop and pedaled them around the parking lot to compare them to mine, my wife has not done that yet... but she has ridden hers with the range extender. I can feel the difference between my bike with the range extender on vs off. that just so happens to be the weight difference between the H series and the M series (all other things being constant). It's not detrimental to what the rise is as an experience.

The m series with range extender or h series without... is very much a mountain bike experience instead of a traditional full power/weight ebike experience. The extra weight of the range extender and the h series, makes it a bit harder to bunny hop the bike and makes the bike a single notch less nimble to direction changes and transitional lean over situations. That being said, my wife, who struggles with advanced techniques and does not ride assertively and confidently, does notice the extra weight when she is at her technical ability limit. I wouldn't say it stops her from achieving things on the bike or affect her riding negatively, but maneuvering the bike in/around the garage is more difficult, getting on teh bike rack is more difficult, getting the front wheel off teh ground requires more commitment from her, that she doesn't always have the confidence to do. For context, my wife is 5'8" - 120lbs on a medium. My wife is for sure, a novice rider across the board and doesn't do anything gnarly what so ever. I'm the exact opposite.

The summary version is that I wouldn't sweat it between the two, but the good news is that they are different enough that I feel, there is a set of if/then decisions to make that would lead you to one over the other.

I would chose the m series of the h series if:
-the majority of my ebike rides were going to be in the 10-15 mile - 1,500 - 2,000 of vertical rides
-I planned on buying the range extender so I could tailor the weight of the bike to the ride I intend to do
-if I struggled with issues dealing with moving the bike around, and getting it on bike rack and I had similar dimensions that my wife does (4lbs doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference when you're only 120lbs)
-If I planned up having this bike for a long time, and was planning on upgrading it

I would chose the h series over the m series if:
-I had no intention of buying the range extender and just wanted a more simplified battery setup without choices
-was the kind of person that was hard on my equipment, and crashed a lot and didn't want to worry about it
-I wanted ultimate battery capacity, but still didn't want a full power ebike and the weight that comes with it
-had budget constraints and/or felt that I could get a better bike overall with the same budget, if I sacrificed a bit on overall weight, to move up a tier in model to get better suspension/brakes etc

I would chose either interchangably and not look back if one was in stock and the other one wasn't. In truth, they are both great bikes... for the most part, you can't tell the difference in the weight... but the m series does allow you to keep the bike under 38-39lbs in a medium or start with a light bike, and add double down tires and cushcore and still be under 40 lbs. The h series, allows you to have a more simplified, battery setup that matches a wider range of rides with this bike, at a crazy value price point.

TLDR? You win either way....
-

Thank you for this very insightful reply.

I ride in BC, Canada and ride mainly black tech trails. The levo hasn't been an issue at all, but I've rolled pretty everything. I want to drop/do some light jumps and thats why I like the light bike. I can access amazing black trails right from my backyard, so I ride often and I ride pretty rough trails (rocky/steep). As I live in the mountains, I'd say all my rides are a minimum of 2000ft of elevation.

As you say, it seems I can't go wrong with either. I really love the idea of the M-series as, like you said, I can ride it without the extra weight that I don't need on 80% of my ride and use the extender when I do need more range.

As for availability, I can get both before summer, the H in the next 2 months and the M around May 2022 and I have the Levo anyway, so the delivery time isn't really an issue.

I do wonder if the price difference is worth it. While I can afford the M-series, is a let's say 2-3kg weight difference worth over 4000 extra (h15 is 9000$ vs the m10 with extender 13186 + tax on both)... I guess that is the big question. I wonder what one would think about that.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
True, the price difference is huge.

That's why some of us are thinking or doing an upgrade (see in this post) coming from an H30 (low price 5000€) and upgrading to lighter and/or best quality components. The bigger the budget the more it will be worth it.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
So the first round of upgrades are complete. At this point the only other things left are to add GX AXS at some point, a Transfer 175 and some carbon wheels when available.

IMG_0407.jpg

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
I find my M20 pretty much perfect as is. Just needs a display and some good carbon bars which I bought but have yet to install.

My Heckler MX-S is approximately 45 lbs about the same as the aluminum Rise. Despite the Heckler‘s larger battery, range is about the same as the M20. The weight differential between 45 lbs and 41lbs is small in absolute terms but does make a difference in handling.

The aluminum Rise looks gorgeous but to me 3-4 lbs and the tactile difference between carbon vs aluminum frame is well worth the extra cost of carbon Rise. That said, choice is always a good thing and the aluminum Rise is a very compelling package.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I find my M20 pretty much perfect as is. Just needs a display and some good carbon bars which I bought but have yet to install.

My Heckler MX-S is approximately 45 lbs about the same as the aluminum Rise. Despite the Heckler‘s larger battery, range is about the same as the M20. The weight differential between 45 lbs and 41lbs is small in absolute terms but does make a difference in handling.

The aluminum Rise looks gorgeous but to me 3-4 lbs and the tactile difference between carbon vs aluminum frame is well worth the extra cost of carbon Rise. That said, choice is always a good thing and the aluminum Rise is a very compelling package.

Thanks for your insight. I put a deposit on both an m and an h-series. The h will come first, and I can go see / test it and get a feel for it. I am leaning towards the m, as that is what I always had in mind - but find the price difference hard to swallow without being able to actually compare the two.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Thanks for your insight. I put a deposit on both an m and an h-series. The h will come first, and I can go see / test it and get a feel for it. I am leaning towards the m, as that is what I always had in mind - but find the price difference hard to swallow without being able to actually compare the two.
Not sure if availability has improved but i put a deposit on an M10 in June and never got it until mid October.There was a worldwide shortage of M10 at the time and from what I was told he main issue was unavailability of components.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Not sure if availability has improved but i put a deposit on an M10 in June and never got it until mid October.There was a worldwide shortage of M10 at the time and from what I was told he main issue was unavailability of components.

M10 wouldn’t come until May or June, but that isn’t really an issue. I can ride my Levo until then. I’ll first see the H15, very curious how it will compare to my Levo in weight and handling. If it is too close weight wise, I’ll wait for the M10.

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
Thanks for the video. I realize that the bike is more around 21kg than 20kg as specified in the commercial presentation.
I was thinking about to buy a Hydro but I think that Orbea made a mistake not offering a revisited RS Engine pushed to 75Nm instead of 60. This would compensate the overweight of the H compared to the a carbon version.
My opinion is changing ; I prefer a M20 with less battery (because my ride don't exceed 40km) but with a contained weight instead of more battery but heavier... :unsure:
what do you think of this view ?

Sgur

Oct 22, 2018
Italy
Thanks for the video. I realize that the bike is more around 21kg than 20kg as specified in the commercial presentation.
I was thinking about to buy a Hydro but I think that Orbea made a mistake not offering a revisited RS Engine pushed to 75Nm instead of 60. This would compensate the overweight of the H compared to the a carbon version.
My opinion is changing ; I prefer a M20 with less battery (because my ride don't exceed 40km) but with a contained weight instead of more battery but heavier... :unsure:
what do you think of this view ?
if your range is <40km sounds like the best choice, lighter is better…or at least it should...I wish I could test M And H versions, so to check myself if I can feel the difference when riding. Anyone had the chance to?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
M10 wouldn’t come until May or June, but that isn’t really an issue. I can ride my Levo until then. I’ll first see the H15, very curious how it will compare to my Levo in weight and handling. If it is too close weight wise, I’ll wait for the M10.

So, the H15 is now actually delayed until summer as well. I ended up finding an 2022 M20 in stock, with a discount. It’s the white/green color way and as someone who always wears black/had black bikes, this will be a nice change haha!

I’ll upgrade parts as I need it but first going to see what the stock parts are about. My Levo was all stock (besides a Fox 36 upgrade), and I loved that bikes. I’m stoked!

GolfChick

May 16, 2019
UK
Which country are you in to be told it's been delayed? I've ordered with an ETA of Feb but got the last of the set due in and the rest are then due June time.

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
very nice!

Did you keep the travel or did you change it? Also, what length dropper is that , 170?
Thanks. Went to 160 on the fork. Dropper is 170mm. I'm 5'10'' and on the size large I have to have it completely slammed. Seat tube is pretty high on the Rise.

pnzio

Dec 11, 2021
Dublin / Ireland
Thanks. Went to 160 on the fork. Dropper is 170mm. I'm 5'10'' and on the size large I have to have it completely slammed. Seat tube is pretty high on the Rise.
sweet, yh I'll do the same on my h15 when I get it ...

Did you leave rear travel as 140?

also, do you reckon oneup 210 dropper will fit ( slammed ) , thx in advance

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
Jealous you got one, im over the bridge in philly and also ride an AF (pushed to 170/160) as my park/race bike.

Where did you get it? Im still waiting on Jenson order placed 12/10.
Got it from Jenson. Ordered on 12/6 and delivered on 1/12.
Unfortunately I haven't ridden it yet due to the snow and frigid temps. Do you guys have snow on the ground down in Philly?

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Got it from Jenson. Ordered on 12/6 and delivered on 1/12.
Unfortunately I haven't ridden it yet due to the snow and frigid temps. Do you guys have snow on the ground down in Philly?

Damn! i ordered an orange instead of the black and now yours looks better than the promo shots. Most of it melted but we have some coming in tonight and friday night. Getting out for a snow ride saturday morning. My group rides until the single digits, when the ground freezes fast overnight its like sandpaper levels of grip.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Beautiful build! I ordered the same color. My H15 is due @ the end of Feb. I had suspension upgraded to Factory 36 150 and the Factory Float X w/ m8120's so I'll find out if the upgrades will delay the order on Friday. I was thinking of bumping the fork to 160mm and going DHX2 in the rear (possibly testing to see if I can fit the 216x63 shock on it as well to bump the rear travel).

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
I went with the Fox 36 Perf 160 with the EMTB tune, and the Fox X w/m8120. It was huge in the comfort and tractability of the bike. Night and day difference. I welcomed the slightly more slack front end and did not notice any negatives for climbing. The slightly higher bottom bracket height was a blessing too. Brakes are incredible and the large front rotor is welcomed to scrub off the speed. I had bought this bike because it was available as I wait on a Cube that I have my name on. The more I wait, the more I'm content with what I have.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
So I am finally all done with the upgrades to my large H30. Everything changed out except the cranks. Started at 46.4 lbs without pedals, ended at 45.8 and a much more capable bike. I have had a few notable issues with the bike so far. The seatpost took a shit within a month and was replaced with a NOS post that I will shelf until time to sell. Next up I have had the motor cut out at ( mostly ) slow speeds and throwing a W101 error which is a loss of the speed sensor magnet, working through this issue with my dealer, worst case it could lead to a new motor. Lastly is charger issues, a majority of the time the bike will charge to 86% or so and stop as verified by a Garmin. Every now and then it will go through to 100%. I figured out a work around to unplug the charger, cycle the power on and off and plug it back in. Unless you have an app or Garmin synced you may not even know you have an issue. Orbea is sending out new chargers to myself and my two buddies that picked them up in the first batch to the US via Mikes.

H30 finished.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles