Open Face lid & Goggles?!

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Is this acceptable attire?

I always wear eye protection (POC glasses) but recently I've had a splooge of mud directly into the eye.

Anyone else ride with goggles whilst it's this muddy out?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I ride goggles and an open face year round. I have an eye condition called Continual Retinal Erosion which was caused by getting something in my right eye when out biking, so I now never take a risk.
cant beat Google’s In wet or dusty conditions, and they don’t slip around

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
I ride goggles and an open face year round. I have an eye condition called Continual Retinal Erosion which was caused by getting something in my right eye when out biking, so I now never take a risk.
cant beat Google’s In wet or dusty conditions, and they don’t slip around

Thanks, I am also fed up with glasses either falling too far down my face half way down a run!

Ive had a look online, are the Melon ones any good? They seem cheap enough to try or do you know if any cheaper options, just so I can try some?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I always wear safety specs or sunglasses.
I find a really big stupid looking front mud guard stops 99% of face splatter.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Melon are good, I have a pair, but my go to goggles now are the Poc Ora - they have a kind of photochromic lens that means you can ride them in all conditions and are super comfy

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can only wear glasses for a bout an hour before they start hurting the sides of my head so yes I wear Goggles mostly for protection from stuff overhanging the trail in the woods or anytime on a new trail where I don't know what to expect. I use 100% Goggles with the thicker lens in blue mirror. I keep them on my helmet either reversed or below the visor ( with the visor pushed up) so they are always there if I need them. Much more protection and much more comfortable than glasses...….…….and as a bonus a decent pair are much cheaper than a decent pair of glasses ( most of which are stupidly overpriced especially for MTB use.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I wear a Fox Dropframe with Scott Prospect, when it gets proper sloppy. Sometimes I may load them up with tear-offs too.. ;)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Check out Bolle Cobra safety glasses. Super light and comfy, with arms that adjust up and down, and also available with a strap. Cheap as too ?

636A4136-57CC-4273-9C4E-EDCC7B97F747.jpeg

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
They look good!! Wonder if work can buy me a pair ?
Don’t know where you are but here in Australia, if you are in a job that requires safety glasses then you can buy them and write them off on tax.
I drive a truck and do minor repairs on the truck, so have a $300 pair of spotters Sunglasses I use for driving, and a $30 pair of Bolle Cobra’s for when I work on the truck. Both a tax write off.

Also check out the Bolle Rush and Trekker 2 safety glasses ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Melon are good, I have a pair, but my go to goggles now are the Poc Ora - they have a kind of photochromic lens that means you can ride them in all conditions and are super comfy

How do you get on with misting ? I remember with skiing they would mist when you ease up and on the mtb if I slow down my mtb glasses steam up - though this might be my panting ..

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
How do you get on with misting ? I remember with skiing they would mist when you ease up and on the mtb if I slow down my mtb glasses steam up - though this might be my panting ..

I'd suggest that you pant less - however there's that horrid thought of you, now riding commando! :eek:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A weak solution of washing up liquid does the same job.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Ive used ski/snowboard double lense goggles for mtb for many yrs
Much more efficient in reducing misting
They are basically 2 lenses held together , about 2mm apart with a foam edging , which allows condensation to escape
Particularly like the Dragon brand . Loads of pretty colours , lenses can be easily changed and are sensible money from about £25 if you shop around .

Ive never worn then with an XC lid though ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't have an issue - the POC dont have foam over the vents in the frame, which means the foam doesn't retain moisture, which really helps.

IMO the key to preventing misting is removing the goggles when you are not in motion, same goes for glasses - well designed ones will clear almost instantly as long as you are moving.

With goggles its important you try them on, especially for fit around your nose - I like a goggle with a wide nose piece, which prevent the goggles sitting on pinching your nose in an irritating way. Both the Melons and POC's are very good in terms of this, whereas I have found Fox goggles in my case to be really uncomfortable due to being too tight on the nose.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
They look good!! Wonder if work can buy me a pair ?

I’ve got a store room full of them ? well it was full ??

not these exact ones but very similar

they are good for winter riding and protection. 0/10 on the style front but they do do the job ??

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
weird innit how we wanna fit in so much on the trails.. please dont take this the wrong way @Master_G - im not having a go at all..
I was watching a EMBN video about trail faux pas and one of the was showing leg between knee pads and shorts and I thought... piss off, no one wore knee pads except downhillers when I started riding and even helmets were a bit of a sniggering point if they looked a bit too protective, and if you had worn kneepads, you would have raised a few eyebrows so forget taking fashion advice when it comes to riding, be comfy, be safe.
As @R120 has said above, take all the protective measures you can, sod what anyone thinks.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I've recently moved to wearing goggles open face helmet and I find that they are better in hot conditions because air moves around better at speed. Of course when not moving they get warm. Also they don't move around or push anywhere and now I don't have to worry about branches hitting and getting tangled in them.

Not that my glasses were rubbish or anything, Adidas Zonyk Aero. Goggles are 100% Strata2's

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles