Goggles with spectacles

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Does anyone wear goggles over spectacles and if so what brand works best? Contact lenses are not really a practical option for my prescription.

Al

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
So much variation in frames, buuuuut my Oakley goggles work well with my specs. Hopeless in the rain though. Mist immediately.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do these give you peripheral vision, for example looking over your shoulder?
They fit all around the bony orbit, so the field of vision is wide and I have never felt that my vision is obstructed. But if I turn my eyes fully left or right I can see the frame at the edge of my vision; therefore by definition my over the shoulder field of view is obstructed, if only marginally. I have never felt that my vision was obstructed by the Straitjackets.

I chose to specify ones that had reactive lenses. They are absolutely great in pretty much all circumstances, except one. The lenses take a second or so to clear, so when going from bright sunlight into dense woods. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it can feel as though the light has been turned off. That caught me unawares the first time, but not since.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
They fit all around the bony orbit, so the field of vision is wide and I have never felt that my vision is obstructed. But if I turn my eyes fully left or right I can see the frame at the edge of my vision; therefore by definition my over the shoulder field of view is obstructed, if only marginally. I have never felt that my vision was obstructed by the Straitjackets.

I chose to specify ones that had reactive lenses. They are absolutely great in pretty much all circumstances, except one. The lenses take a second or so to clear, so when going from bright sunlight into dense woods. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it can feel as though the light has been turned off. That caught me unawares the first time, but not since.

Thanks for this. Might have to investigate these. Did you get them from an opicians or just take your prescription to an Oakley dealer?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thanks for this. Might have to investigate these. Did you get them from an opicians or just take your prescription to an Oakley dealer?
I got some varifocal "sports glasses" from, of all places, Vision Express. They work a treat and only cost me £150. I could have paid a little more or a little less depending on the characteristics of the prescription lense. Every where else I went you were looking at £350 upwards. I'm very pleased with my purchase and they work well. I could have paid as little as £90. The model I bought is called i826. I'm a Yorkshireman so there is no way I'm paying £450 for a pair of sunglasses :)

Al

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
I got some varifocal "sports glasses" from, of all places, Vision Express. They work a treat and only cost me £150. I could have paid a little more or a little less depending on the characteristics of the prescription lense. Every where else I went you were looking at £350 upwards. I'm very pleased with my purchase and they work well. I could have paid as little as £90. The model I bought is called i826. I'm a Yorkshireman so there is no way I'm paying £450 for a pair of sunglasses :)

Al
Sounds like a visit to chat to them for me.
I'm a tight Lancashire lad so like a bargain too!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The opticians wanted an absolute fortune, even though they had them in stock. So I used the internet.

Twice I have used "the internet opticians" but I've just looked and they seem to have gone out of business or changed their name or something, I just get
Sorry, the website www.theinternetopticians.co.uk cannot be found.

An alternative I considered was "the sunglasses shop" Buy Designer Sunglasses at Sunglasses Shop
They are still in business, but I haven't looked to see if they do what I'd be looking for.

There is probably a whole load of new entrants to the market since I last bought some Oakley specs, so you are best choosing what you want from the Oakley website and then Googling it to see if you can get them cheaper. From memory, it was the charge for making up the prescription that put Oakley out of contention.

I normally use varifocals, but they are way too expensive for these, and I don't need to see close up anyway; to do that I just remove the specs!
So I ordered single vision (ie distance). I used my normal prescription issued by the optician at my last visit and selected the bits I needed to use from the prescription.

Here is a link to the Oakley website https://www.oakley.com/en-gb

They have all sorts of stuff on there, they even have a "Mountain Bike" section, although you may not like their offerings. "Custom" looks good to me. I'm still looking for "prescription" though..... Just found it in "Men"...... Doesn't look like what I would be looking for. Hmmm

Without me spending any more time on it my best advice is to find the specs you like and then see if anyone else can do a prescription lens for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles