Oakley Airbrake Goggles

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I got a new full face helmet a couple of months back, and have been considering a pair of goggles to go with it.

It’s nearly Christmas, and I’m getting the usual ‘what do you want?’ questions... and can’t really think of anything!
I’ve always used Oakley goggles for snowboarding, so naturally am looking at them for my bike.

I noticed they have a ‘new’ MTB goggle which is in the MX section.
The MTB has a much poorer selection of colours than the MX - 6 vs about 30.

Just wondering - does anyone knows what the difference between the MX and the MTB goggle is? I guess if they’ve specified it as an MTB goggle, then there must be some sort of useful difference - but not sure what?

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I got a new full face helmet a couple of months back, and have been considering a pair of goggles to go with it.

It’s nearly Christmas, and I’m getting the usual ‘what do you want?’ questions... and can’t really think of anything!
I’ve always used Oakley goggles for snowboarding, so naturally am looking at them for my bike.

I noticed they have a ‘new’ MTB goggle which is in the MX section.
The MTB has a much poorer selection of colours than the MX - 6 vs about 30.

Just wondering - does anyone knows what the difference between the MX and the MTB goggle is? I guess if they’ve specified it as an MTB goggle, then there must be some sort of useful difference - but not sure what?
The MTB goggles have a mesh on top between the lens and foam to allow it to breath better and help dissipate heat as you pedal.
The MX goggles doesn't have the mesh but the MX goggles does do a better job to prevent dust, etc. from getting in.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The MTB goggles have a mesh on top between the lens and foam to allow it to breath better and help dissipate heat as you pedal.
The MX goggles doesn't have the mesh but the MX goggles does do a better job to prevent dust, etc. from getting in.
I’m in Scotland, so it’s more thick mud I deal with rather than dust!
So the MTB ones are better for slow speed pedalling rather than high speed MX riding?
MTB ones are actually cheaper too.

I assume they take the same lenses though?

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I’m in Scotland, so it’s more thick mud I deal with rather than dust!
So the MTB ones are better for slow speed pedalling rather than high speed MX riding?
MTB ones are actually cheaper too.

I assume they take the same lenses though?
Yup, same lens on both. The MTB version also doesn't come with the nose guard that the MX version has.
I have the MTB version and it's nice to have the extra airflow.

I also forgot to mention the bottom part has a mesh on the MTB version as well.

This video does a good job explaining the differences. At the 6:18 mark he talks about the MTB version.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
They are essentially the same. From memory MX lenses are Torch, Bronze, Sapphire, Jade and Clear. MTB lenses are the same.

As someone above said the main difference is the MTB goggles have a more open mesh to allow better breathability. The MX ones have a foam that doesn't breath as well BUT the foam allows less dust in.

I have some Oakley Front Line MX goggles and carefully cut two parts of the foam out on the top and bottom. It allows much less fogging. No issues at all, great for DH park runs in dusty climates

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles