goggles and full face helmet fit

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Hi, I have a ixs trigger ff, I was wondering how critical the helmet shape is to fitting goggles. I'm thinking it's not so important, but if someone can confirm?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They actually don't dobby. Certain combinations work way better than others. and some are simply incompatible.
and it does matter rather a lot.
But it's often a case of trial and error finding the best fitting goggles for your particular helmet

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well it is!! Firstly goggles come in different sizes and shapes and that can impact on how well they fit into the aperture provided by different ff helmets. I use a Smith MAinline helmet and already had 100% goggles. The helmet pushed the goggles too far onto my nose.....they also misted up badly. I bough Smith Goggles...........perfect fit and the vents on the goggles match the vents in the forehead lip of the helmet.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Well it is!! Firstly goggles come in different sizes and shapes and that can impact on how well they fit into the aperture provided by different ff helmets. I use a Smith MAinline helmet and already had 100% goggles. The helmet pushed the goggles too far onto my nose.....they also misted up badly. I bough Smith Goggles...........perfect fit and the vents on the goggles match the vents in the forehead lip of the helmet.
I read somewhere on this forum that might be the case. I am not digging the ixs goggles though, and goggles are online only round here, plus I need some otg ones, preferably with contrast enhancement coating. And that thing with the vents sounds good.

edit: I took a look at the ixs goggles again, they are growing on me, but no otg option.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Even without a helmet you'll find some goggles will fit your face shape/nose/eyes really well while others really won't. and a good fit is just important as with your helmet. Obviously a correctly fitting helmet is MOAR important to your safety but you really do need to get goggles that work well with your preferred helmet. There'd be nothing worse than a helmet/goggle combination that just didn't fit or a combination where the helmet opening pushed the goggles down onto the bridge of your nose or squeezed the sides either making them not sit properly, reducing field of vision or simply being uncomfortable.

I rarely wear a FF or goggles anymore but when I did I'd often modify* the goggle frame and nose foam for both better fit and air flow

* cut it ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I know my helmet with Oakley googles pushes down my nose so when I’m wearing them I can only be a mouth breather. I’d like to see others good combos too
Oakleys are shit. If you must use them do yourself a favour and cut the nose piece and remove the top foam completely. Trust me ;)

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Yeah. Even without a helmet you'll find some goggles will fit your face shape/nose/eyes really well while others really won't. and a good fit is just important as with your helmet. Obviously a correctly fitting helmet is MOAR important to your safety but you really do need to get goggles that work well with your preferred helmet. There'd be nothing worse than a helmet/goggle combination that just didn't fit or a combination where the helmet opening pushed the goggles down onto the bridge of your nose or squeezed the sides either making them not sit properly, reducing field of vision or simply being uncomfortable.

I rarely wear a FF or goggles anymore but when I did I'd often modify* the goggle frame and nose foam for both better fit and air flow

* cut it ;)
thanks for the reply. I was chatting to the guy at a 100% display stand, and we did discuss just cutting the foam to fit, so nice to have it confirmed.

Anyone got a ixs trigger and trigger goggles? Enough room for glasses?

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
They actually don't dobby. Certain combinations work way better than others. and some are simply incompatible.
and it does matter rather a lot.
But it's often a case of trial and error finding the best fitting goggles for your particular helmet
yea I gotta say my experience of this is from MX and no issues at all there, the opening can take pretty much any goggle apart from proprietry stuff.

I know my helmet with Oakley googles pushes down my nose so when I’m wearing them I can only be a mouth breather. I’d like to see others good combos too
I put some additional foam in the top of my helmet to stop this, also has the advantage of raising the goggle so that when you are 'head down, eyes up' you can see more trail and less goggle frame.
looks a little odd though

IMG_2880.jpg

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Another question: most brands of goggles have some models with enhanced contrast, they all have different names, like chromapop etc, are these all various kinds of polarisation?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have some chromapop's (Smith) it's more just colour filtering :

"ChromaPop filters two specific wavelengths of light that cause color confusion—specifically, the retina's trouble distinguishing between blue and green and red and green light perception. ChromaPop lenses filter these specific crossovers, allowing for greater definition, natural color, and clarity."

More explanation and examples :

Unfortunately, I'm colour blind. I think in this case you need to take more care choosing a filter lens as you're potentially filtering out the colours you can see ! The ones I have make everything seem "more colourful" is as best I can describe it. This seems to work great in strong to average light levels. For me though, the filtering reduces my visible spectrum in any shaded light scenarios - with a different coloured lens I might find the opposite, but I'm not planning on buying a box of lenses to try so that will remain inconclusive.

If you try to take a picture of this, it doesn't work as the camera compensates :) (to my eyes anyway)

Normal :

nopop.jpg

Through goggles :

pop.jpg

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
After a quick google, it seems colour filters (ie chromapop, for example) work by either selective absorbtion, or selective reflection, to increase contrast. Polarisation, as we all know from physics lessons, allow rays at one angle, whilst blocking the perpendicular angle.

Which is preferable, though? I guess it's a moot point, if I get ixs for the fit, which only seem to offer polarisation.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you have any experience of colour grading in video post edit, my Smith Goggles give the same effect as increasing both contrast and saturation. You can get lenses specific to trail as opposed to road ( obviously not many goggles worn by roadies!!) and the trail specific lenses tend to make greens and browns sharper with the result that trail characterisitcs are far more distinct.
The best lens I have is a ctually in my Oakley Jawbreakers ( glasses). It is only slightly smoked, enhances contrast and is brilliant for the very changeable light you tend to get on forest trails in and out of the tree canopy.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Bringing an old thread to life …

I’m after some goggles. Fancy some Melon Parkers as they look so funky, but the POC Ora’s are designed to fit perfectly with my helmet (POC Coron). Both are the same price, the POC’s look a better spec on paper but the Melon’s have options of coloured lenses, frames and straps etc

Not sure if the Melon’s will fit the POC Coron helmet ok. Anyone wear the Parkers with a Coron helmet ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I cannot answer your question on the POC but I think it is a far safer bet to get the same brand googles as helmet because at least their sponsored riders have presumably verified the fit is right. I have a Smith mainline full face and already had 100% goggles. They could not be used together! The helmet pushed the goggles hard against my nose such that I could only breathe through my mouth.........and the goggles fogged for a past time. I subsequently bought Smith Goggles. The fit is perfect and the system used to flow air from the helmet forehead rim through the top of the goggles means absolutely no misting up. The Smith lenses are also far superior to the 100% and on a par or contrast, clarity, and anti scratch with my Oakley glasses.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I cannot answer your question on the POC but I think it is a far safer bet to get the same brand googles as helmet because at least their sponsored riders have presumably verified the fit is right. I have a Smith mainline full face and already had 100% goggles. They could not be used together! The helmet pushed the goggles hard against my nose such that I could only breathe through my mouth.........and the goggles fogged for a past time. I subsequently bought Smith Goggles. The fit is perfect and the system used to flow air from the helmet forehead rim through the top of the goggles means absolutely no misting up. The Smith lenses are also far superior to the 100% and on a par or contrast, clarity, and anti scratch with my Oakley glasses.

Agree with you Mike, the POC Ora’s will most likely fit the helmet perfectly and they are no doubt a decent quality goggle. I just like the bling factor and colour options of the Melon Parkers. The POC’s are quite bland, black, grey or blue, with clear lenses. No bling

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

In fact I just bought the last pair of blue Ora’s for £39.95, out of stock now. Knocked the Melon idea on the head!

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Jumping on this thread. I’ve got the MET Parachute and have now tried 3 brands of goggles, none of them seem to fit as snug with the helmet as they do without, like there not tight up against my face.

Is that normal?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
sounds like all the ones you have tried are too narrow ( or maybe too small) such that the sides of the helmet hold them off your face.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
POC Ora's are the best goggles I have used by far, and I have a lot of goggles! The lens is great for all conditions, the frame design is super comfy and works with most helmets, and the ventilation with no foam in key areas means they work very well on the trail.

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
POC Ora's are the best goggles I have used by far, and I have a lot of goggles! The lens is great for all conditions, the frame design is super comfy and works with most helmets, and the ventilation with no foam in key areas means they work very well on the trail.

I have a pair of POC Ora's in red for sale if anyones interested?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles