Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Chazbot

Apr 29, 2020
New Zealand
My LBS can't keep a Levo SL floor model in stock. Literally. As soon as a floor model arrives, it's gone the same day. My 2021 Carbon Comp arrived yesterday but remains in the box. It will undergo major changes before it leaves the shop and the OEM parts that I'm replacing are headed for Ebay. This thread has been an invaluable source of information for my upgrade/customization decisions. I've read all 86 pages.

What's the spec difference on your 2021 model?
Have heard they have upgraded components?

addxyz

Sep 21, 2018
USA
I have one from them too. With the cascade link, I can't run it though because the shock yoke touches the seatstay. Love the geo changes though. Have one from them thats 50% of the the offest to get a bit of the effect back.

Did you get your HTA to measure that it's 65 deg? I always found that it was more of a 0.5 deg change. Are you also running a 160mm fork?

Can you elaborate more about the Cascade Link not being compatible?

Great Cornholio

Jun 27, 2020
telford
Any one know what cells are used in the internal battery on the SL?
18650 or 21700 cells?
If they are the 18650's I wonder if we could see a larger battery like what they did in the 700wh battery for the levo?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Any one know what cells are used in the internal battery on the SL?
18650 or 21700 cells?
If they are the 18650's I wonder if we could see a larger battery like what they did in the 700wh battery for the levo?

Unlikely because it would increase weight, and that would be against the design principles of the Levo SL.

Personally, I have no need for a bigger internal battery (until some future tech comes along to give me more watts for the same weight). I just add a RE when I want to do a 60mile ride.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Can you elaborate more about the Cascade Link not being compatible?
I have the cascade link on my alum sl and just added an offset bushing. I still have loads of room around yoke and frame. running the adjustable shock mount in the low position too.

what length shock are u running?

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I have the cascade link on my alum sl and just added an offset bushing. I still have loads of room around yoke and frame. running the adjustable shock mount in the low position too.

what length shock are u running?
It may just be a Carbon SL "issue", or even just a tolerance thing for some bikes. With the CC link + Offset bushing and bike in "Low", I can make the stock shock yoke touch the seatstay bridge at full compression. It's probably around 51.5mm stroke or so.

If I either remove the CC link or the bushing, the clearance is fine.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
It may just be a Carbon SL "issue", or even just a tolerance thing for some bikes. With the CC link + Offset bushing and bike in "Low", I can make the stock shock yoke touch the seatstay bridge at full compression. It's probably around 51.5mm stroke or so.

If I either remove the CC link or the bushing, the clearance is fine.
Why did you install an offset bushing?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I took my SL to the LBS for the motor firmware update (42.6.1c) that Mission Control alerted me about and to get my wheel circumference set for my 27.5" wheels (85.94"). After getting my bike back (in less than 24 hours !!!) I noticed no difference in how it responds but it should provide assist to 20 mph now instead of throttling back at 18 and some due to the smaller wheels.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Rockshock Zeb too much for the SL? Managed to source both a Lyrik ultimate or the Zeb ultimate, both 160mm. Can’t decide which one to go for. Ride mostly trail and downhill sections but still love jumps and drops. Wouldn’t say bike park expert level but red runs all day long, when I get time that is. I’m pretty heavy at around 200lbs kitted out and have quite an aggressive riding style. Run a FoX36 factory on my SC Hightower which is great but fancied something different. Anyone managed to run the Zeb on their SL yet ?

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
if you like a more responsive, quick handling bike than I'd say don't add an offset bushing. it lengthens the wheel base and slacks out the head angle making it more dh oriented.
Are you referring to an offset bushing on the shock mount or a offset headset on the fork. I don’t understand how an offset headset would cause a problem with the cascade link or how an offset shock bushing would lengthen wheelbase

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Are you referring to an offset bushing on the shock mount or a offset headset on the fork. I don’t understand how an offset headset would cause a problem with the cascade link or how an offset shock bushing would lengthen wheelbase
he's taking about offset shock bushing.

I am excited that 9point8 now makes a compatible angle head set for the sl

flippn

Feb 20, 2020
USA

I'm curious as well why and how the modification would cause the problem he described. I have the CC link with the flip chip set to high on my carbon comp (medium) and I have not run into any clearance issues. Here's a photo of my setup.
IMG_8267 (8).jpg

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Offset bushing "pushes" the shock back 3mm or so at the eyelet. Obviously, that's not 1x1 distance wise, but once you are at full compression the shock yoke (black thing that connects your shock to the CC or stock link) is pretty much in line with the seatstay bridge. The CC link changes the position of where your shock yoke is mounted (some of how they get their effect on the leverage curve).

Flipping the chip to high does the opposite of what an offset bushing effect is - so you would not see what I am talking about and should have great clearance. It only happens when you have Lo +_ Offset bushing + CC link (a rare combo). Keep in mind, that i am close, but not touching with stock bushing, +flip chip in "Lo" + CC link.

My solution right now is no offset bushing (though I have a 50% offset bushing in route). It will put me at 64.25 deg HTA with the 170mm fork as well. I may add a small spacer to the EXT shock shaft to limit travel slightly as well. Again - I am probably in the minority with pretty drastically changing my levarage rate + geometry.

I will try to get some pictures next time I have the setup where it can "touch". It's hard to picture though.

flippn

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Offset bushing "pushes" the shock back 3mm or so at the eyelet. Obviously, that's not 1x1 distance wise, but once you are at full compression the shock yoke (black thing that connects your shock to the CC or stock link) is pretty much in line with the seatstay bridge. The CC link changes the position of where your shock yoke is mounted (some of how they get their effect on the leverage curve).

Flipping the chip to high does the opposite of what an offset bushing effect is - so you would not see what I am talking about and should have great clearance. It only happens when you have Lo +_ Offset bushing + CC link (a rare combo). Keep in mind, that i am close, but not touching with stock bushing, +flip chip in "Lo" + CC link.

My solution right now is no offset bushing (though I have a 50% offset bushing in route). It will put me at 64.25 deg HTA with the 170mm fork as well. I may add a small spacer to the EXT shock shaft to limit travel slightly as well. Again - I am probably in the minority with pretty drastically changing my levarage rate + geometry.

I will try to get some pictures next time I have the setup where it can "touch". It's hard to picture though.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, makes sense.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
he's taking about offset shock bushing.

I am excited that 9point8 now makes a compatible angle head set for the sl
That's an interesting setup that 9point8 has, but I don't think it's compatible unfortunately.. As far as I can tell, the headset bearing sizes are:

41.8x 30.5x 8 x 45 x4 5deg
52 x 40 x7 x 45 x 45 deg

And the slack-r is:
IS41/28.6+ IS52/40 Headset

Dale10ellis10

Jul 14, 2020
Newton Aycliffe
Where are you guys getting the blue coloured rear link next to the back wheel where the suspension mounts? Not sure if it’s an upgrade but it would match my colour scheme brilliantly ?

cheers

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Today was my big day! First ride on my new 2021 SL Carbon Comp! I'm 156 lbs., 5'8", 29" inseam and the Medium fit me just right. Since my days of hard core-riding and fast descents are over (several surgeries to show for it) I decided to weight-weenie my bike. Brought it down to 35.05 pounds (without pedals). I did about half of my ride unassisted. The rest in Eco mode, set at 30-45%. I only used 15% of the battery. Here is what I changed:

Roval Control Carbon wheelset
Vittoria Mescal 2.35 tires
Tubless (Stan's sealant)
Sram X01 Cassette
Sram X01 chain
Sram Eagle GX 520% derailleur
X01 Shifter
Prologo saddle
Ergon GE1 grips
Syntace carbon seatpost and Cane Creek adapter (yes, I removed the dropper)
Eve M6 carbon handlebars

The bike shifted flawlessly and the new Guide RE brakes performed well.

First ride 8-13-2020.jpg

25.05 lbs no pedals.jpg

Levo SL 8-13-2020.jpg

Levo SL 8-13-2020 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Rockshock Zeb too much for the SL? Managed to source both a Lyrik ultimate or the Zeb ultimate, both 160mm. Can’t decide which one to go for. Ride mostly trail and downhill sections but still love jumps and drops. Wouldn’t say bike park expert level but red runs all day long, when I get time that is. I’m pretty heavy at around 200lbs kitted out and have quite an aggressive riding style. Run a FoX36 factory on my SC Hightower which is great but fancied something different. Anyone managed to run the Zeb on their SL yet ?

Im running a set of 160mm zebs on my 2021 carbon sl.
They are unreal ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles