Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I doubt it. Sadly it seems people want more range and more torque. Luckily the newer gen of batteries and motors are GENERALLY a touch lighter, but the KSL is a big bike with a generally more complicated suspension platform.

Personally I if one finds 35NM not enough, which is already saving me 1/4-1/2 climb time, then we really are moving towards just spinning away... I would however like the newer generation of batteries for even lighter weight, same range.

Agreed, i never found the power to be a issue. The noise however was a deal breaker for me, i love a quieter motor and the 1.1 is one of the loudest.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Agreed, i never found the power to be a issue. The noise however was a deal breaker for me, i love a quieter motor and the 1.1 is one of the loudest.
A deal breaker? Are you hoping for an almost silent electric motor as it takes away from the pleasure of the sounds of nature? These days I see lots of riders with ear buds in so they can listen to music. I don't understand that. I have a KSL as it is similar to my pedal bike on the DH, which is all that matters to me. Which emtb did you go with?

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
A deal breaker? Are you hoping for an almost silent electric motor as it takes away from the pleasure of the sounds of nature? These days I see lots of riders with ear buds in so they can listen to music. I don't understand that. I have a KSL as it is similar to my pedal bike on the DH, which is all that matters to me. Which emtb did you go with?
Not almost silent but not as loud as the 1.1. The whole point of a sl is the lightweight and it looks like a normal bike.

You got a trek fuel exe climbing up a climb grinding away people like is that a ebike?

Then you got a dude putting big effort in climbing a KSL sounding like a kettle about to explode.

It’s personal choice, but I don’t want to be grinding away why also listen to the greatest hits of Scalextric.

I’ve had a Levo gen 3 for over a year now, but I ride a normal enduro also. I got the KSL and had it about 6 months. Loved the bike but it just didn’t offer much more than my enduro for me personally.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Not almost silent but not as loud as the 1.1. The whole point of a sl is the lightweight and it looks like a normal bike.

You got a trek fuel exe climbing up a climb grinding away people like is that a ebike?

Then you got a dude putting big effort in climbing a KSL sounding like a kettle about to explode.

It’s personal choice, but I don’t want to be grinding away why also listen to the greatest hits of Scalextric.

I’ve had a Levo gen 3 for over a year now, but I ride a normal enduro also. I got the KSL and had it about 6 months. Loved the bike but it just didn’t offer much more than my enduro for me personally.
I guess that is where we disagree. The point of a SL to me is that the bike RIDES like a normal bike and at my age, I tend not care about what others think about what I ride. Then again my KSL and LSL don't sound like a kettle about to explode but I rarely need more than ECO for the FSRs and climbing trails we have around here.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
None of the SL engines I have seen, including two of mine vary their noise between Eco/Trail/Turbo or the settings. They get loud under high intensity.
Not sounding like kettle either, more like annoying Tinnitus. I still presume the better your hearing is (plus the older you are the more you lose higher pitch sensitivity) the more painful it is.
Interestingly also, the engine's pitch gets lower the more weight is on the bike. When I am on bike with my toddler, the sound is almost bearable. My wife on the bike alone... millions of wasps kind of sound.

Just give use the engine upgrade option Specialized, I pretty much don't want any other bike forever just fuck that noise.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Megadeal

IMG_7269.jpeg

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Nice deal..and the nicest colorway. Still slightly regret not getting it, was worried about the screaming s-works white lettering would be tad bit too much. Looks great though.
Slightly off-topic/on-topic: Latest LoamWolf reviews of SL-bikes, and no mention of "whisper-quiet" Mahle1.2 engine lol, in fact, it's described as both loud and loudest of all SL engines in current bracket once again. So much for marketing. I really need to see for myself how much of an upgrade it is.
Also a hint the "upgraded" torque has limit to how much effort it can support in reality, and won't really be noticeable when climbing, it just makes mellow riding more breeze. Which is still nice I guess.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
None of the SL engines I have seen, including two of mine vary their noise between Eco/Trail/Turbo or the settings. They get loud under high intensity.
Not sounding like kettle either, more like annoying Tinnitus. I still presume the better your hearing is (plus the older you are the more you lose higher pitch sensitivity) the more painful it is.
Interestingly also, the engine's pitch gets lower the more weight is on the bike. When I am on bike with my toddler, the sound is almost bearable. My wife on the bike alone... millions of wasps kind of sound.

Just give use the engine upgrade option Specialized, I pretty much don't want any other bike forever just fuck that noise.
When I first got my Kenevo SL and was riding up steep mountain roads and trails, it would get so loud that I started to wonder if it was breaking or something. I was worried. But after reading comments on the forum, it seems pretty standard for the 1.1. motor.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Nice deal..and the nicest colorway. Still slightly regret not getting it, was worried about the screaming s-works white lettering would be tad bit too much. Looks great though.
Slightly off-topic/on-topic: Latest LoamWolf reviews of SL-bikes, and no mention of "whisper-quiet" Mahle1.2 engine lol, in fact, it's described as both loud and loudest of all SL engines in current bracket once again. So much for marketing. I really need to see for myself how much of an upgrade it is.
Also a hint the "upgraded" torque has limit to how much effort it can support in reality, and won't really be noticeable when climbing, it just makes mellow riding more breeze. Which is still nice I guess.

It’s significantly quieter than the 1.1 and the power is also very noticeable. It’s not as quiet as the Trek TQ though but around the same as the noise as the fazua ride 60. A fiend I ride with has a Pivot Shuttle SL. Interestingly the bikes appear to be the same power so it looks like the 60nm is overrated and you don’t really get that 60nm
That review doesn’t make much sense and they seem to forget they are riding an SL as they almost compare going up a steep hill to full power, completely pointless.
Most reviewers don’t fully separate that though to be fair. Only MTBR Francois does it properly. It’s better, even up steep hills, than the 1.1 but certainly doesn’t drag you up. You still have to work as we know.
We all want different things and I got rid of my FF very quickly, hated it as so cumbersome. I then had the 1.1 Levo SL for 2 years. I loved that and although the noise didn’t really bother me the new one is refreshing. Motors generally make some noise and not something I need to hide when riding it over my Epic Evo. I hear lots of FF motors that are a a lot louder than mine when out and about.
The Mahle also seems to be about the most reliable so that’s a real positive. My mate has already had a new Fazua in his.

The only negative so far is the slight overrun noise you get with the 1.2. You can adapt your riding style to avoid it but probably shouldn’t have to. The Levo SL 1.1 didn’t have that noise but I believe the KSL did.

The orbea rise sits in the middle, a true 60nm but close to 19kg so not as nimble going down. I guess it comes down to what you need/want.
I have zero regrets about the new Levo SL and 1.2 motor and would buy it again tomorrow. It also draws 8.4a when I fully go for it so not sure what that equates to in real terms. A KSL with this motor will make a few people very happy if they want more poke and a quieter experience. The new SC Heckler SL also looks like a great bike, a bit heavier but has a big battery.

Last edited:

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
That over-run sound is something I experienced few times under specific conditions (interestingly, I believe going downhill), but just super occasionally. Enough to throw me off (broken engine?) but not enough to be occurrence.
The 19kg carbon 540W Orbea is very surprising, but so is 20kg FuelExe. But I don't take online weights too seriously, they're far too easy to influence.

Fun fact why SL bikes are nicer: I borrowed a Levo for specific mountain trip, and had to bring it home to 5th floor. No bike fits into my elevator even if I take off front wheel, so I take it through stairs. I do this with my KSL 3 times a week no issue, and often take both mine and wife's.
Well.. single 25KG kilo pushed up-stairs strained my rotator cuff to such an extent I've been 3 days in pain. Getting better but uff.. like yeah I haven't been exercising lately but still. Those few kilos are very much felt.

Though I also rode slightly sub 23kg UNNO Mith lately and I can see how one can get addicted to that level of weight/performance ratio.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Although I ride the Levo SL the owner of my LBS loves the KSL and that’s what he has as his personal bike. He has a big choice too. He intends to get the 1.2 motor in it soon though!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
When I first got my Kenevo SL and was riding up steep mountain roads and trails, it would get so loud that I started to wonder if it was breaking or something. I was worried. But after reading comments on the forum, it seems pretty standard for the 1.1. motor.
How steep of mountain roads and trails are you riding up? Do you ever have any trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground or back wheel spinning out if the trail has loose gravel or rocks on it?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Well alfter a failed romance with a Transition Relay, I bought another KSL. Felt like coming home.. :ROFLMAO: Went S3 this time and feels the better choice size wise. View attachment 125814

Very interesting you went back to the ksl, how do you find they compare? How's the motor feel by comparison?

KSL is damn good, fairly sure it's quicker downhill than my patrol, although also less fun.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
My girlfriend and I both got Relays at the same time, hers has been issue free other than a controller ring update, mine was cursed.
1. DOA battery out of the box, one week wait on Trans.
2. Controller ring died, 1 week wait.
3. Bike sounds like a plastic trashcan thrown down some stairs on rough descents, spent hours trying to find the loose wires inside no luck.
4. Motor starts to lose power output and gets louder then develops a knocking sound, 3 weeks wait on a new motor.
5. Second ride on new (vastly improved) motor and I lose the goramm battery cover ( found a few days later and returned) that was the last straw for me. Bike rides great but as an ebike, its way behind as far as many companies offerings. I like the KSL a lot, its the bike I ride with the young fit manual bike guys, just wish it was quieter.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Very interesting you went back to the ksl, how do you find they compare? How's the motor feel by comparison?

KSL is damn good, fairly sure it's quicker downhill than my patrol, although also less fun.
The Relay motor is more powerful, honestly that and how quiet it is are really is the only things I would say that is better about the Relay over the KSL.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dax

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
Newbie here, hoping this is the right place to post.

Are the forks and shocks on the KSL e-tuned? If not, can I just put a standard fox factory 38 on the KSL without too many issues?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Newbie here, hoping this is the right place to post.

Are the forks and shocks on the KSL e-tuned? If not, can I just put a standard fox factory 38 on the KSL without too many issues?

Mine had a sticker on saying etuned, but a standard fox factory will be fine. You could always get a custom tune when you have them serviced

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Has anyone retrofitted SRAM Transmission to their Kenevo SL? It's very difficult to find a suitable 94BCD chainring.

Garbaruk seems to be an option, but the shipping alone is nearly $32.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles