Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Dec 23, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Posting here as a proud new owner. I was very much on the fence between full power and a lightweight. Had test ridden a heap of full fat's in the last couple of weeks, but one quick test ride on the KSL at a dealer was all it took. When I came across a deal that was too good to ignore on a 22 KSL with Fox Factory 38's and a coil shock, the decision was made. I managed to sneak in a quick ride on Boxing day and wow. So stoked on the new ride. Cannot wait to get out on it again.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Posting here as a proud new owner. I was very much on the fence between full power and a lightweight. Had test ridden a heap of full fat's in the last couple of weeks, but one quick test ride on the KSL at a dealer was all it took. When I came across a deal that was too good to ignore on a 22 KSL with Fox Factory 38's and a coil shock, the decision was made. I managed to sneak in a quick ride on Boxing day and wow. So stoked on the new ride. Cannot wait to get out on it again.
Great, right choice.

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
Hello, just a fact: this morning I did a 30 km ride with my KSL but I rode it with the motor off. Only the TCU was active in order to follow the parameters (distance, rpm, elevation, etc..). No mission control activated. Result : the battery lost 3% just for powering the TCU during the ride...

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Cassette came loose and chewed up what looks to be inside plastic piece of derailleur hanger? Anyone know what this part is? Is this part of the SRAM universal derailleur hanger or separate part?

55CC6575-1FED-4450-9DF4-32FCCC3EB8B4.jpeg

Last edited:

andronin

Jul 3, 2022
South Africa
Proud owner of a new KSL expert, and got my first ride in yesterday. Overall quite pleased with it. Having no idea what to expect from the battery, I spent a lot of time in eco mode. After 22 miles and 4500 ft vert (35km/1370m), still had 42% of battery remaining. So I put it in turbo mode for the 5 mile/1000ft fireroad slog back to the parking lot and that drained the battery to 9%.

As a long time fan of Shimano brakes, the Codes feel woefully underpowered. I might give it a few more rides, but will probably swap them out. Fork and shock needs some dialing in, but decided to swap the fork for the Manitou Mezzer that was on my other bike. I figure the Fox 38 performance elite probably has good resale value. The shock handled single hits well, but less impressive in chattery stuff.
As someone that was really unhappy with the Code’s I came across a suggestion to try thicker rotors. After installing the HS2 rotors (HS2 Rotor - RT-HS-2-A1 - SRAM) I am much happier. They do not have the “on/off” feel of My XT’s on my Stumpy but I think I actually prefer this now. Been running them for two months and not wanted to change brakes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was idly playing around with the geo calculator on the Spesh website and spotted this;

1672847861702.png

Mixed wheel setup? What's that all about then?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, I get that, the question was ambiguous, there's just no mention of it anywhere else on the site.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've used the calculator before but can't remember if it's always said that or if it's a sign of things to come...

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I can’t wait to see if there will be an Kenevo SL update for 2023. Currently on an Orbea Rise, after having had a Levo. As I am a small female, I never want to go back to a full fat ebike, but I am looking for a more aggressive bike (live in BC, Canada). I ride a lot, but have never come close to emptying the battery. Looked at all the other options, Pivot SL, Trek EXe… but my dream bike is a Kenevo SL.

It just needs a tiny bit more power to meet my needs due to a medical constraint. Even if it only goes up to 50nm, I’d buy it in a heart beat!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I can’t wait to see if there will be an Kenevo SL update for 2023. Currently on an Orbea Rise, after having had a Levo. As I am a small female, I never want to go back to a full fat ebike, but I am looking for a more aggressive bike (live in BC, Canada). I ride a lot, but have never come close to emptying the battery. Looked at all the other options, Pivot SL, Trek EXe… but my dream bike is a Kenevo SL.

It just needs a tiny bit more power to meet my needs due to a medical constraint. Even if it only goes up to 50nm, I’d buy it in a heart beat!
After going from a Gen 2 Levo to a Kenevo SL to a Gen 3 Levo I completely agree. It just needs a little more oomph and it would be one of, if not the best option for me.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK

I don’t know whether the difference between 35 & 50 Nm is going to be that noticeable? But I would hope so. The Kenevo SL has been my first ebike. I’ve done just over 1500 miles on it and it has enabled me to do trips I would never have contemplated on a non ebike.
But I do wish it had a bit more, I ride with two others that are on Orbea Rises. On an analogue I drop them on the ups every time. But on the Kenevo SL I am working hard to stay on them if they go Turbo. Fingers crossed they can give it a bit more, it will be disappointing if they bring out a Levo SL with more power than a year old Kenevo SL.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
I don’t know whether the difference between 35 & 50 Nm is going to be that noticeable? But I would hope so. The Kenevo SL has been my first ebike. I’ve done just over 1500 miles on it and it has enabled me to do trips I would never have contemplated on a non ebike.
But I do wish it had a bit more, I ride with two others that are on Orbea Rises. On an analogue I drop them on the ups every time. But on the Kenevo SL I am working hard to stay on them if they go Turbo. Fingers crossed they can give it a bit more, it will be disappointing if they bring out a Levo SL with more power than a year old Kenevo SL.
50 Nm would be almost 50% increase in power vs 35 Nm. Would be a significant boost to compete and keep up with Rise and other mid/full power eMTBs on climbs.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
yes, and it will dry the battery faster...

Yes Ideally, it will have 50nm power and a 350wh battery. More power would require a bit more battery, for sure.

It does actually make a difference. My friend has the Kenevo SL so I have been able to try it it, it is noticably different! Its her first ebike too, so in that scenario its ideal as you don't know better. Also if you don't have any physical restrictions like I do, it may work out fine.

Endurafrika

Jul 7, 2022
Cape Town
one would think they’d do a better job of marketing such a feature with positive benefits 😊

I was idly playing around with the geo calculator on the Spesh website and spotted this;

View attachment 103968

Mixed wheel setup? What's that all about then?

they are listing all the numbers for diff geo options - but why not the numbers of same options set up as mullet (seeing that they are positively mentioning it)?

Last edited:

HarzEnduro

Jan 23, 2022
Germany
Does anyone know how many watts I lose when pedaling without any assistance? I have been riding my KSL like that for about a week now* and was wondering, if there was any loss.

*Call me crazy (116km/4.5k altitude gain)

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Having had this bike for couple months now, today‘s ride took battery down to 9% remaining (lowest thus far). Was riding in Turbo mode, when battery level went down to about 15% (or maybe 12%) I noticed significant drop in power, although it was still in Turbo mode on display, the power output was similar to or below Eco mode. Anyone know if this is normal? If so, can this be adjusted by the user, ex. go into power save mode at 5% instead of 15%?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Having had this bike for couple months now, today‘s ride took battery down to 9% remaining (lowest thus far). Was riding in Turbo mode, when battery level went down to about 15% (or maybe 12%) I noticed significant drop in power, although it was still in Turbo mode on display, the power output was similar to or below Eco mode. Anyone know if this is normal? If so, can this be adjusted by the user, ex. go into power save mode at 5% instead of 15%?
Normal. Levo does the same. Something to do with battery protection. Drops again at 10 and then again at 5 I believe.

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
Yes it's normal, I experienced the same thing yesterday at 15% battery left. You may also notice the battery % color change on the screen.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles